The NEW Project: L reg XM 2.1 D Auto FOR MYSELF!!

The place to show off and tell us all about your XMs (or even other cars). Should it be a big project, or just some general pics, start your thread in here.
Vince
Citroen go-to-guy

Re: The NEW Project: L reg XM 2.1 D Auto FOR MYSELF!!

Post by Vince » Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:25 pm

Lol, if this car was in my hands to put back together it would be game over :lol:

citroenxm
Global Moderator

Post by citroenxm » Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:28 pm

Well once you have bare bones one its not too bad.. was gonna air con the car but not sure i want to remove the pedal box to get the dual zone heater out.. so that stays. Im pleased to find that fitting another xm motor the blower speed works correctly on the slider.. one thing that does work at the moment... :lol:
Projects:(eventually if theres any bodywork left)
93 L Xm 2.1t D auto project
93 L xm V6 12v Sei Manual

Others
In use.. 1995 M reg S2 2.1td auto exclusive

citroenxm
Global Moderator

Post by citroenxm » Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:29 pm

Well, the car still p i s s e s me off!!

Messed around with this again today. Ive NOT got a Matched Engine harness, "Front Harness" and dash loom harness all in together! The three harness's are from the same car however, plugged into this car the following is or isn't happening:

If I switch the ignition switch to position one.. ALL the centre display warning lights come on correctly. ONLY
Switch to position TWO and the Oil and Altinator battery light go OUT, sometime ALSO the STOP lights go out.. MOst of the time ALL the warning lights go out!!! and the Speedo/Rev counter lights come on, thats, Heater Plug Light, ABS Light (Thats faulty anyway), the Turbo boost gauge comes up... Switch to START after the heater plug light goes out, and she starts properly! All good.

OK. Rev counter DOES NOT work, not serious, I can pin that out. but I also dont have Tail Lamps or Brake lights, but I DO have number plate lights.. and YES the tail lights and Brake lights worked with the SED Harness fitted, but too many other things didn't!

But heres the piss off number 3... when I switch the ignition off.. the Altinator light and Oil warning light stay on but dim a bit, and they with the ABS light and Suspension light FLICKER and the engine sort of Miss fires!!!!! If I turn the key right off, then stall the engine with the mechanical STOP Lever on the Pump then all warning lights go out... so ... now what!

I dont know what to do now! Tearing my hair out... Wish to bloody god Id left it alone now and just rebuilt it! NO I cant fit the original Dash harness because I trashed it slightly!

also NO its not the ignition switch, Ive tried TWO S1 switch's, which were both perfect before...

Others

captainhaddock
XM Guru

Post by captainhaddock » Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:06 pm

A nightmare. How different would left hand drive wiring looms of this model differ from the right hand drive. Wouldn't it be possible to use a LHD one, if some wires too short you'd have to lengthen things of course. Only trying to help here but it seems you cannot find another original wiring loom..

citroenxm
Global Moderator

Post by citroenxm » Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:09 pm

Well, I can Captain, theres a 2.1 Auto ESTATE breaking on here, but I cannot afford to buy the Loom and engine Loom from the seller, as the estate is the same age as mine..

I think Im just gonna shove it back in a corner till fortunes change here.. Im in a bit of a mess really.

I need to be sensible now. So quite possibly abandond project.... :arrow:

Others

captainhaddock
XM Guru

Post by captainhaddock » Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:16 pm

That's a real bummer.

I take it that scrapper isn't worth the money in other ways that you can sell some of her parts?
I'd give anyone such an item cause there's virtually no chance of ever needing such a part.
Did you ask the owner!? Maybe you can swap something or otherwise start another project.

citroenxm
Global Moderator

Post by citroenxm » Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:20 pm

There wont be a TD for me then... The idea was it had a better body then the residant TD SED thats here, but Im not a fan of Base Spec cars, I like toys, so I expected it to be a simple Plug N play, and even with a COMPLETE dash, engine bay and side harness ALL from the same car, Ive still got issues!

I Just dont get it!

Others

captainhaddock
XM Guru

Post by captainhaddock » Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:34 pm

I've never done what you're doing except in 2cv's.

You know of course it's always starting at the beginning and move from there.

I don't understand either why this happens, in position one only the battery light should come on , shouldn't it?
Did you check - double check- if there isn't one wire melted to another one somewhere? It comes to mind because of what happens when you switch the engine off.
I could go and try to see if there's a LHD loom somewhere, it's all I can think of at this moment..

citroenxm
Global Moderator

Post by citroenxm » Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:40 pm

It ALL worked in the other car....

Have you seen an xm loom? Theres about 6,000 miles of cable in the dash loom!!

When you turn to position one all the warning lights should come on i think... which they do.. then on position two thats supposed to switch on the abs and heater plugs and activate the clocks etc.. but instead the warning lights go off..

And as said.. after starting the key wont shut the engine off i have to do it on the pump...

Others

captainhaddock
XM Guru

Post by captainhaddock » Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:51 pm

I know, I've seen it and as said it's a night mare.

I only drive Mark 2's but in position one, only the battery warning light and radio comes on. Pos.2 will give all the other warning lights :( So that might be different on both models. If the engine doesn't turn off..I can only think of some melted wiring. Didn't the solenoid get faulty suddenly? That might explain the engine not stopping?