2.1 auto m reg exclusive

The place to show off and tell us all about your XMs (or even other cars). Should it be a big project, or just some general pics, start your thread in here.
cromptons
Can find the S1 radio

2.1 auto m reg exclusive

Post by cromptons » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:45 pm

Hi
I have very recently bought the above car. This is my very first xm,I also own a zx 16v, a 180+ HP zx 1.9 TD and a bx tzd estate.

I have got to admit I'm not feeling much love for the xm yet as there does seem to be quite a few issues which hope some of you might Be able to help me with.

I have spent many hours reading though this forum, of which I have found loads of useful information.

Problems (not in priority order!)

1. Cruise control
Tested all the inputs to the ECU found the NC contact on the brake pedal to be broken, now fixed. But still no cruise control so I coupled up my signal generator and had a play. Found out that it tries to work but does weird things. So suspect ECU knackered,anyone got a spare? Tested for vac leaks, a very small one on vent pipe from pump can't see this affecting it though. FIXED, BRAKE PEDAL NC CONTACT AND VAC SOLENOID LEAKING

2. Hyroactive suspension!
Suspension very hard, apparently all spheres changed by last owner, dash light not coming on on start up. So found out that someone had cut the wires from ECU to electro valves and fed a 12v direct supply to them, which I would of though would of burnt them out? But they still do click if 12 v momentarily appiled. Now disconnected them ( no ride differance ). Need to investigate further!

3. 3/4 heated seats not working

4. Air con condenser holed.

5. Sunroof totally seized up

6. If engine tickover is below 1000 rpm then the hydraulic pressure regulator constantly hisses until you move steering wheel etc.

7. Kickback cable sticks

Will list other faults as and when I remember them!
Last edited by cromptons on Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Richard2cv
Knows how to use the parking brake

Re: 2.1 auto m reg exclusive

Post by Richard2cv » Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:30 am

Your first xm, you'll learn a lot from it and it will grow on you eventually.
The suspension playing up could be something simple like bad eathing to the ecu. Probably worth plugging it to a lexia, I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than me will be along soon.
Everyone on here doesn't seem to like sunroofs. They're usually broken or leaking.
Post some photos of the car.
XM V6 Exclusive
2cv6 Dolly
2cv6 Charleston
Nissan Figaro turbo

cromptons
Can find the S1 radio

Post by cromptons » Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:07 am

cruise testing

russ92xmsed
Global Moderator

Post by russ92xmsed » Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:48 pm

That's a lovely XM..and it will be. Persevere! It took me a little time to warm to mine. Just nerves I think of owning a complicated car. :lol:
My hydractive is the same as yours...cut wires, it it hasn't been the only one with this mod...but the important bits all work. But being a mk1 it is different to yours...I still have a soft ride. ;)

You will get advice I'm sure for the other issues.
Russ

1992 K reg XM 2.1 Auto SED RP 5712
1992 K reg XM 2.1 Auto SED RP 5705 (D)
Also
2003 C5 2.2 HDI Exclusive

I sell Engine bay, 1990 COTY, Total & Club XM Sticker Decals
http://www.rjwcreativedesign.co.uk

cromptons
Can find the S1 radio

Post by cromptons » Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:03 pm

good news! cruise control problem fixed! had another play today fresh start and discovered the solenoid leaks vac very very slightly but is ok under air pressure!, so temporarily blanked off and now seems to work fine! hope Citroen still makes this item!

Dieselman
Global Moderator

Post by Dieselman » Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:05 pm

The hydractive playing up might be solenoid valve diodes burn out, but eh lack of check lamp indicates an ECU issue. Does the lamp come on when you manually select Sport mode?

Where are you and is that the car recently on sale in Derby, if so it was a trader so insist they fix it under warrantee.
92 2.1SED M.RP5740 ECZ Sable Phenicien
92 3.0 V6-24.Rp 5713 EXY Black
92 2.1SD M.RP 5685 ENT Blue Sideral
Prev
90 2.1SD M.RP 5049 EJV Mandarin
92 2.1SD A.RP 5698 EJV Mandarin
94 2.1SD A.RP 6218 ERT Triton Green
91 2.0SI M.RP 5187 EWT White

russ92xmsed
Global Moderator

Post by russ92xmsed » Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:14 pm

Well done fixing or diagnosing the cruise control. Usual issue I believe.
Russ

Also

citroenxm
Global Moderator

Post by citroenxm » Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:32 pm

Cruise Pumps are same as early Xantia ones, where fitted, but no doubt with Citroen its likely NFP now.

Heated seats another "Normal" to NOT work, this is beacause the Heater elements in the seats are TOO near the tops of the seat foam and the wires are so thin they break easy, the other area of breakage is between the back rest and seat base, XM heated seats RARELY work!

Air con condenser will be a common S2 Condenser unit, Im certain they are all the same, but NOT the same as Xantia ones.

The Hiss is NOTHING serious to be worried about, most early ones up to 1997 do this unless the hydraulic system is in TIP TOP condition and had a rebuild of the components.

Sunroofs are another common issue with the XM, lots dont work, but after headlining removal the unit is a self contained unit bolted to the roof. Sometimes its simply dried out cables and a bit of liberal lubrication and working can get them working, though cables can be an issue too.

Generally though, you have a nice car. The BEST fuel system being a Bosch mechanical Pump, run happily on Veggie Oil straight off the supermarket shelf!!

Hang on in there, you will warm, and then wont regret it! They are worth the effort!
Projects:(eventually if theres any bodywork left)
93 L Xm 2.1t D auto project
93 L xm V6 12v Sei Manual

Others
In use.. 1995 M reg S2 2.1td auto exclusive

Richard2cv
Knows how to use the parking brake

Post by Richard2cv » Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:28 pm

Haven't seen a signal generator since I was at college. what does it do again?
It looks a bit like the stereo in a nissan pao.
Also I really like the colour of that car.
Dieselman wrote: Where are you and is that the car recently on sale in Derby, if so it was a trader so insist they fix it under warrantee.
I don't think you can get a warranty on a car this old. If you bought it from a dealer they should be legally obliged to repair the faults IF it has been misrepresented when they sold it to you.
XM V6 Exclusive
2cv6 Dolly
2cv6 Charleston
Nissan Figaro turbo

russ92xmsed
Global Moderator

Post by russ92xmsed » Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:37 am

I had a three month warranty on mine...it was 20 years old at the time.
Russ

Also