My new ZX 1.9td!

The place to show off and tell us all about your XMs (or even other cars). Should it be a big project, or just some general pics, start your thread in here.
beko1987
Has changed a sphere or two

My new ZX 1.9td!

Post by beko1987 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:25 pm

The XM is getting uneconomical to run, we just cant keep putting £40-50 a week in for my commute.

So, a friend and I hatched a plan where he would lend me a few quid to get a more economical car.

Some searching, and 2 week chat over email with the seller we agreed to Saturday (just gone) and went to the beach as the car wasnt far away.

A very nice ZX 1.9td! Nice history, well maintained and veg friendly! Had a slight wheel shake, but nothing more than the XM has (needs tracking). Sweet. We leave Heathfield, and head up to Tunbridge Wells to find the M20.

I easily kept up with my mate in his Octavia VRS, he did comment that he was surprised I kept to him, although we didnt go crazy as SWMBO and daughter were in tow :?

Wheel shake was getting a bit worse, so we pulled over at a services on the m25 (not Cobham, cant remember the name), and I have a quick look. Front wheels were slightly warmer than they should be, I deduced maybe a sticky caliper, and removed the wheel trims to aid cooling. Since I knew where I was by now, I said to my mate to crack on and get home, and I'll potter back so as not to exaggerate the brakes.

*I didnt think to check the wheel nuts...*

Off we trot, and they promptly loose me and I settle in at 55. Shaking suddenly gets ALOT worse. Starting to think ah crap, I pull out of the off lane at J6 into the now inside lane of the m40 and suddenly all hell breaks loose, car jumps up, theres an almighty bang and I see something shoot off to my left, and the front drop. It all goes a bit floaty, and I somehow manage to career it over to the hard shoulder without flipping it or hitting the barrier, find the fugging hazard swich which is behind the steering wheel, not in the airvent that I punched as thats where it is in the xm and not soil myself...

Grabbed my phone and scrambled out to the other side of the crash barrier...

F*ck

f*ck

I call SWMBO and once I stop screaming I inform her of my predicament, and once she stopped screaming my mate put his boot down and did the 10 miles to the next junction, 18 miles back to the last then up behind me rather too quickly. SWMBO had the AA details (we have it with the bank). I'm on my 4th cigarette

Whilst I waited for them, I had a look and deduced that the wheel had fallen off. I took my chances and dived over the barrier, got the spare wheel down, took my anger out on the cable-tied up jack box and ripped 4 of them off in one pull and jacked it up off the disc. Everything was still connected, so I grabbeda bolt from the rear wheel and it fitted and nipped up, so the threads were fine. Thinking about bonging the spare on with 3 bolts from the other wheels, kicking the wing back down and getting the hell out of there were interrupted by the arrival of SWMBO

Then these guys turned up. We wondered why the gantryabove us had suddenly come on

This was at about 7pm, I'd lost the wheel at about half 5. SWMBO had called the AA out,and the wombles were happy that we were safe and being recovered to told us to stay put and await recovery. 2 phone calls later, the recovery had not arrived, ot was getting cold and dark and Eva needed feeding and changing, so my mate gave me his coat from his boot, SWMBO gave me her pack of fags and her phone and they went off to cobham services. I sat down for another hour when the first towtruck arrived!

He agreed with me that it would be find putting the spare on and winching it up so we did so, and I was on the move once more!

Turns out, our cover is only 'to a safe place', although the guy did phone his office and try to get me home, as he said it wasnt far, and lied to his office that he had Eva in the back. No suck luck!

Get to Cobham at about 10.30, and matey unloaded me and bid us farewell. SWMBO gets back on the phone, and we basically had to pay £130 to upgrade our membership to full 'get us home' cover. Another truck was dispatched, and we all sit around feeling very tired. Then we reaslise that my mate has to get a ticket, as he drove in. He goes off and discovers that it's 2 hours or £25 for 24h. He pops off to go for a drive and come back in, and myself and SWMBO sit in the ZX with the engine and heaters on. She pops to mcdonalds for some dinner.

Eventually, I get a call saying "He will be with you in 20 minutes sir, but needs his tacho break". Great! I tell SWMBO and mate to go home, as I know at least that I will get home soon, and sit back for another hour listening to radio 2, when eventually the yellow truck of joy arrives

And I got home at half 2!

The next day, I assessed the damage

Lots of rubber on the door!

Remains of the horrible mudflap

Onto the disc

Pads look good still (I was on the brakes I think, so the pads didnt get chewed up)

Hub looks fine

Lost a wishbone bolt though

Happy that all i need are new discs and wheel bolts I cabletied the caliper up, put the wheel back on and hammered the wing roughly straight

Arch liner is in the boot

I took the drivers wheel off too just to check

The disc holding bolts are broken on this side too

Took the other mud flap off and revealed a mud trap

Other plus points are recently serviced

Cambelt 8k ago, clutch 50k ago, battery 3 days ago!

Nice wired car kit (have heard their rubbish but will have a go!)

So, not quite the start to ownership I wanted, but the seller was mortified when he heard so he paid for the new brake discs and wheel bolts, which I will buy and pick up on Thursday, as ECP is on the way home from where I'm getting the XM MOT'd on thursday.

So, hopefully on thursday night I can fix and test the ZX, then tax it (as it's tax runs out this month too) and sell the XM tax-less (which I didnt really want to do)

Joy!
2.0TCT VSX Auto Estate (without leather)

russ92xmsed
Global Moderator

Re: My new ZX 1.9td!

Post by russ92xmsed » Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:45 pm

:shock: Wow Sam! .... There's a lesson for everyone. ;) Glad you're all safe.
Russ

1992 K reg XM 2.1 Auto SED RP 5712
1992 K reg XM 2.1 Auto SED RP 5705 (D)
Also
2003 C5 2.2 HDI Exclusive

I sell Engine bay, 1990 COTY, Total & Club XM Sticker Decals
http://www.rjwcreativedesign.co.uk

ragger
Citrobics expert

Post by ragger » Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:41 pm

Horrendous experience!
Regards

Rob

XM 2.5 Exclusive
C1
Nissan Cashcard (New C 4 on order)

beko1987

Post by beko1987 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:15 pm

Luckily I scrubbed off some speed just before the wheel let go so was only doing 50 I think, but I sis nearly soil myself during it!

White Exec
Citroen God!
Orga / RP numbers: RP7165
1996 2.5TD saloon, Exclusive, Polar White
1992 BX19D Millesime, Sable Phenicien
Location: ex-Ealing, Cheshire, W.Sussex & Surrey. Now living in Sayalonga (Malaga, Spain)

Post by White Exec » Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:59 pm

So, do you put it all down simply to loose wheel bolts?!
Chris
1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive RP7165 Polar White
1992 BX19D Millesime RP5800 Sable
1989 BX19RD Delage Red Deceased; 1998 ZX 1.9D Avantage auto Triton Green Company car 1998..2001; 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto Wicked Red Company car 2001..2003

beko1987

Post by beko1987 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:21 pm

For now yes. All bolts tighten up in the threads so nothings stripped. One hole and bolt is slightly crossed where we struggled to line the disc up without the holding screws but it goes into itself and nips up fine.

Theres a slight bit of slop in the driveshafts but as I don't know if that's right or not I need to go for a test drive to be sure.

CitroJim
Citroen God!

Post by CitroJim » Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:52 pm

Gosh Sam!!!! Thank goodness you're OK and happy to see the car has survived too.. Looks a well cared-for example... The dymo tape on the oil filter seems to suggest that!

New wheel and wing and she'll be perfect again!
Jim

'98 Saxo
'95 AX
Three bikes - Road, Aero and TT

Ex- owner of several XMs and many Xantias!

captainhaddock
XM Guru

Post by captainhaddock » Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:50 pm

Scary experience. Glad all OK in the end, shocked that you had to wait so long to get home.

White Exec
Citroen God!
Orga / RP numbers: RP7165
1996 2.5TD saloon, Exclusive, Polar White
1992 BX19D Millesime, Sable Phenicien
Location: ex-Ealing, Cheshire, W.Sussex & Surrey. Now living in Sayalonga (Malaga, Spain)

Post by White Exec » Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:56 pm

Glad it's going back together again. The XUD engine is a wonderfully hardy lump, and looked after (regular oil changes, and coolant quality and levels kept up) will return galactic mileage.

Had a couple of these, one in a BX19RD, and the other in a - don't laugh - ZX 1.9 Avantage auto. The latter was a company car, at a time when we all had to run diesels, and I had a personal need for an automatic (150 miles a day average inside the M25). The two 1.9s were both non-turbo, so I never saw the best performance from these engines.

I remember the handling on the ZX was amazing. With it's so-called passive rear wheel steering, you could throw the little fella about with absolute confidence, and the torsion bar suspension seemed pretty good too. A lovely little lump, with an amzingly solid rear tailgate in GRP, in best Citroen tradition.
Chris
1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive RP7165 Polar White
1992 BX19D Millesime RP5800 Sable
1989 BX19RD Delage Red Deceased; 1998 ZX 1.9D Avantage auto Triton Green Company car 1998..2001; 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto Wicked Red Company car 2001..2003

beko1987

Post by beko1987 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:09 pm

Theres a dymo label for the cambelt at 260k and radiator at 190k too, so its probably the best condition car I've ever had!

The brief 30 miles I had with it suggests its a nippy thing, my mate played with me in his Octavia vrs and I kept up! Overtook him on the m20 too at 85, thank god it didn't let go then! Found a wing from a breaker car on eBay in the same colour for £30 delivered which is good, going to wait and check I don't need anything else before I buy it though, the bent one is non dangerous enough for now.

I did order the wrong discs from eBay though, its a Volcane with vented discs, and I've bought solid ones. Apparently the calipers are different, so will buy the right ones from ecp after the xms mot on Thurs and send the wrong ones back to the eBay seller for almost a full refund! Annoying, must be careful when buying parts in future!

Once its all fine I'll start running it on veg!