Citsncycles XM

The place to show off and tell us all about your XMs (or even other cars). Should it be a big project, or just some general pics, start your thread in here.
Charles M
Citrobics expert

Re: Citsncycles XM

Post by Charles M » Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:46 am

My grey XM is ETW silex. I think yours is the same. I have samples of both Silex (bought from https://www.paints4u.com/) and Meteor (from Halfords). I'll happily post you a couple of sprays onto paper if that helps.

As can be seen my XM has the wheel trims you are after - I am getting a set of alloys refurbished (it must be said, very low on my list of priorities) so if you are still after them in a couple of months, I'll happily let them go to decorate another early XM!

Gold Citroen SM 1972

Also in the garage

Allard M1 drophead 1949
Mercedes 190e 2.5 16 Cosworth 1989
Range Rover Classic 300tdi 1994

citsncycles
Knows how to use the parking brake
Orga / RP numbers: RP 5709 - Turbo SD

Post by citsncycles » Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:59 am

Thanks Charles, I may take you up on the offer for the trims if I don't find any.

Your car looks lovely - something for me to aim for! Mine's getting there slowly, but will need £££ spent to get it to the standard of yours (a complete set of bright trim for a start)

I can tell you that the Car Plan paint match is rubbish - much too silvery if that makes any sense. both their paint and the original seem to change colour slightly depending on the lighting conditions, so sometimes it looks beter than others. I'm going to keep experimenting on the bonnet, before tackling paint issues on the rest of the car. as I'm working my way round with the T cut and polish, it looks like at least 2 of the doors have had some paintwork done in the past (the odd run, plus the general surface finish seems to indicate this) so it's obviously possible to get a paint match. My local Halfords is olmost as far away as the local paint factor (Middletons in Gloucester), so I may just go up there and get some paint mixed.

I had a poke around the boost sensor last night - the connector seems clean, and I'll be replacing the pipe to it as it's got cracking on it, but I don't think it's leaking, so more tests are needed. Would I be risking any electronic components by conecting across the contacts in the plug to see if the gauge works?
Mike Sims
Mk1 XM Turbo SD
Lots of other Citroens, including 3xBX, GS, Visa, Dyane, Dyane Nomad, 2CV, HY pickup.
Also Land Rovers, Trabant, DKW cars, Honda, Ural, CZ, Mobylette and Puch motorcycles, and lots of bicycles and tricycles.

MTXM
Citroen God!

Post by MTXM » Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:31 pm

That paint code ETW can be confusing, on early cars it was Meteor, and on late cars it was Silex, which are not the same colour at all (Silex is much nearer black).
On earlier cars ETW was Mercury and Meteor Grey is EYY. It is correct that ETW is also Silex, or Silicon Grey, and a very dark shade of metallic grey. Regards, Matthew T.
1989 V6 Exclusive (Poland car) - Now living in a local Motor Museum!
1990 V6sei auto (grey auto)
1990 V6sei manual (gold car)
1990 V6.24 Pallas (Germany car)
1990 V6.24v (Scotland car)
Other previous XM sold and broken too many to mention!

Dieselman
Global Moderator

Post by Dieselman » Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:03 pm

Charles.
Is that car back with you now, or still int he frozen North?
92 2.1SED M.RP5740 ECZ Sable Phenicien
92 3.0 V6-24.Rp 5713 EXY Black
92 2.1SD M.RP 5685 ENT Blue Sideral
Prev
90 2.1SD M.RP 5049 EJV Mandarin
92 2.1SD A.RP 5698 EJV Mandarin
94 2.1SD A.RP 6218 ERT Triton Green
91 2.0SI M.RP 5187 EWT White

Charles M
Citrobics expert

Post by Charles M » Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:11 pm

Still in the frozen North. More progress has been made this week to clearing my drive but I want to get the RR off before the XM comes back.
Gold Citroen SM 1972

Also in the garage

Allard M1 drophead 1949
Mercedes 190e 2.5 16 Cosworth 1989
Range Rover Classic 300tdi 1994

citsncycles

Post by citsncycles » Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:02 pm

Another little issue has made itself known - the glow plug light doesn't any more. This has been accompanied by it needing several seconds on the starter before it fires, with just a couple of seconds of hesitation and a bit of smoke once it does, so I suspect it's more than the bulb. If so at least it show's the engine's in a fairly good state if it's starting without the glowplugs! I've had this in the past and got round it in an emergency by running a lead to the plugs from the battery to help starting until able to sort the problem, I just need to check I'm not risking frying something by doing this.
Mike Sims
Mk1 XM Turbo SD
Lots of other Citroens, including 3xBX, GS, Visa, Dyane, Dyane Nomad, 2CV, HY pickup.
Also Land Rovers, Trabant, DKW cars, Honda, Ural, CZ, Mobylette and Puch motorcycles, and lots of bicycles and tricycles.

russ92xmsed
Global Moderator

Post by russ92xmsed » Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:42 pm

The glowplug light does stop working now and again. As you say, either bulb, or it's earths or connections on the glow plug relay. That is on the front of the battery box.
I believe if you clean the earth from the gearbox to the chassis that solves it.
Mine is intermittent. I give it 5-8 seconds then crank if it feels a need for a day off. :lol:
Russ

1992 K reg XM 2.1 Auto SED RP 5712
1992 K reg XM 2.1 Auto SED RP 5705 (D)
Also
2003 C5 2.2 HDI Exclusive

I sell Engine bay, 1990 COTY, Total & Club XM Sticker Decals
http://www.rjwcreativedesign.co.uk

citsncycles

Post by citsncycles » Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:39 pm

Ah, OK, I'll check that tonight, while I'm trying to sort out the cooling fans (could be the same issue if it's the earth strap I suppose).

On the basis that the electrical issues on the XM are less serious than on Timex (which currently has rigged wiper and brake light feeds, no washers, horn, instrument lights or working windows) the XM is off to Belgium this weekend where I'll be cycling between bars in the countryside around Oudenberg on an old bicycle!
Mike Sims
Mk1 XM Turbo SD

Dieselman
Global Moderator

Post by Dieselman » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:49 pm

Check the earth strap onto the gearbox. Mine was making poor contact and the glow-plug light was intermittent.
92 2.1SED M.RP5740 ECZ Sable Phenicien
92 3.0 V6-24.Rp 5713 EXY Black
92 2.1SD M.RP 5685 ENT Blue Sideral
Prev
90 2.1SD M.RP 5049 EJV Mandarin
92 2.1SD A.RP 5698 EJV Mandarin
94 2.1SD A.RP 6218 ERT Triton Green
91 2.0SI M.RP 5187 EWT White

citsncycles

Post by citsncycles » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:22 am

Well last night leaving work the glow plug light started working again, but the ABS went down! I did a rough timing of the glowplug light and I think the reason for the rough starting when it wasn' lit was more to do with me trying too early than an issue with the glowplugs themselves. As for the ABS light, after I'd stopped at Tesco's for a few minutes proper operation was resumed, as expected.

Didn't get a chance to check the earth strap last night as I was rather late leaving work, but I'm on an early finish today so will check while finishing loading the car for the trip.
Mike Sims
Mk1 XM Turbo SD