Fakemobile XM

The place to show off and tell us all about your XMs (or even other cars). Should it be a big project, or just some general pics, start your thread in here.
Jan-hendrik
XM Guru

Re: Fakemobile XM

Post by Jan-hendrik » Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:06 am

The Norbye book was (first) printed in 1989. I bought a copy in 1995 and I can tell you it was a lot less expensive than the current Amazon quote. Although almost half of the 111 pages is about non-XM models, it is a must have for XM lovers!
2000 XM 3.0 V6 24v Exclusive Auto Vert Vega - 86k km LHD RP8569

russ92xmsed
Global Moderator

Post by russ92xmsed » Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:42 pm

That's the one...Mmm. I didn't pay that for it. Jeepers!!!
Russ

1992 K reg XM 2.1 Auto SED RP 5712
1992 K reg XM 2.1 Auto SED RP 5705 (D)
Also
2003 C5 2.2 HDI Exclusive

I sell Engine bay, 1990 COTY, Total & Club XM Sticker Decals
http://www.rjwcreativedesign.co.uk

fakeconcern
Knows how to use the parking brake

Post by fakeconcern » Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:06 pm

Quick update and impressions here & more questions of course!
In no particular order

I mentioned earlier that the suspension pitches front to rear slightly & I wasn't sure if this is normal, I should explain that until I bought this car the last time I drove a hydro pneumatic Citroen was in the early 80s when my then bosses had between them 2 W reg GS club estates in red, a lovely french blue CX Safari familiale & a white BX. Anyway after seeing Citroenxm's post on famous Citroens viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6965" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; I had a look at the film (French Kiss) where they are driving the bright red (it should look terrible, but looks great!) XM and you can see from the view out of it that it does just the same as mine, so maybe they all do that (sir).

After spending a day fiddling with cars, washed the XM & the VTS, fixed a few bits on Daughter No.2's Clio, decided to play with the XM suspension. Tried putting it on high, lever doesn't move, remember reading that the trim can get stuck so pop the panel off & pull out the bendy trim. I gave that a good scrub as it had bits of crap stuck in the serrations and it's now sitting on a radiator to hopefully get it back to the correct shape. So I had some fun raising it up then lowering it a few times, then decided to check the fluid level. Now when I'd looked before, I could see that there was an orange disc right at the top of the sight glass and a gold one on the top red line so thought it was ok, but now I looked carefully, I couldn't see any green in the sight glass. Looked in the reservoir, can't see any green. So pop to Halfords, get some LHM (£13 for 1Ltr!). I tipped the whole lot in and still no green in the glass. While doing all this and I've noticed this before as well, sometimes when I open the door when the engine is running, it will stall just as it makes the warning "door open beep". I meant to try the push down on the car to see how soft it is after shutting the door thing, but couldn't remember how to do it or where I read about it!

So questions
1) Should I see the green LHM in the sight glass?
2) Should the reservoir look full of LHM?
3) Which disc is the one for the level, orange or gold as handbook says yellow?
4) Is the yellow/gold/orange disc often stuck?
5) Where do I find out about the shut the door suspension test?

Hope that wasn't too long and boring!

Edit Q 6) Where does everyone get LHM as Halfords seems expensive to me (I would have gone back in & got more after using all of it, but they'd locked up by then!
1995 XM V6 Exclusive
2005 C4 VTS 180

citroenxm
Global Moderator

Post by citroenxm » Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:15 pm

No No.. NO green in the sight glass, that's simple a level indicator.

Theres two disks, a gold one and an orange one. Put the car in MAX height, top setting, and the indicator orange disk should be between the red lines on the slight glass. if it doesn't drop then theres too much LHM in the tank... Check the float works, its only a float and it floats on top of the LHM in the tank, unplug the two wires, twist the connector and lift up, then level sensor will drop then.

DONT panic about too much in there, it wont hurt!

A seized height lever in the car can mean a sieazed pivot just under the car in the exhaust tunnel..

Even when full the tank should NOT even look remotely full either!!
Projects:(eventually if theres any bodywork left)
93 L Xm 2.1t D auto project
93 L xm V6 12v Sei Manual

Others
In use.. 1995 M reg S2 2.1td auto exclusive

fakeconcern

Post by fakeconcern » Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:23 pm

Thanks for quick reply.

The lever wasn't seized, just the trim.

I'll check the glass as stated tomorrow.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by fakeconcern on Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1995 XM V6 Exclusive
2005 C4 VTS 180

citroenxm
Global Moderator

Post by citroenxm » Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:25 pm

Good pic.. as above.. NO NO NO green in that glass... On top setting, MAX Height, the GOLD disc, should be between the RED lines on the sight glass....

Others

fakeconcern

Post by fakeconcern » Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:28 pm

It's been like that since I got it, so either over full or stuck!
1995 XM V6 Exclusive
2005 C4 VTS 180

citroenxm
Global Moderator

Post by citroenxm » Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:32 pm

It wont be stuck. Its a very SIMPLE type of float, and if you remove the two plugs and twist it (IT will only twist one way) and lift it up, the discs will drop!

IF it hasn't moved then that VERY GOOD! It indicates there NO LEAKS in your system. The level should not drop in a well sealed system!

Others

fakeconcern

Post by fakeconcern » Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:37 pm

Well something has leaked all over my previously clean drive! Must be engine oil then, but that's still on max as well!
1995 XM V6 Exclusive
2005 C4 VTS 180

White Exec
Citroen God!
Orga / RP numbers: RP7165
1996 2.5TD saloon, Exclusive, Polar White
1992 BX19D Millesime, Sable Phenicien
Location: ex-Ealing, Cheshire, W.Sussex & Surrey. Now living in Sayalonga (Malaga, Spain)

Post by White Exec » Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:24 pm

You should be able to tell spilt engine oil (black) from spilt LHM (green or dirty-green maybe).

Re: the level in the LHM tank, it is the yellow-orange (uppermost) disc that is the level indicator, NOT the gold one.

Even if you have an additional litre of fluid in the tank (overfull) it doesn't matter......there's plenty of headroom.

Shut-door suspension test:

Start engine, suspension on normal height.
Shut all doors and boot, bonnet can be open.
Allow car to assume normal running height.
Press down firmly on boot top (not spoiler!) - suspension should feel soft, and give by 12cm or so.
Press down firmly on front slam panel - ditto, but less give, around 8cm or so.
> What you are feeling is the springiness of the gas in the centre Hydractive (soft) spheres. If suspension is hard, then either these centre spheres lack gas, or, possibly, the front or rear electrovalves (which switch in the centre spheres) are not operating.

Open a door, switch off engine.
Suspension should remain soft (car stationary, door/boot open).
You should hear the electrovalves buzzing.
Close door.
Suspension should remain soft and buzzing continue for 30 secs or so. EVs will then go silent, with a click, and suspension will go firm.
If a door is re-opened, suspension will go soft again.

The four (wheel) corner spheres are responsible for the ride resiliance when suspension is firm.
The two centre (Hydractive) spheres provide softness, when switched in.
The Accumulator sphere stores hydraulic line pressure (preventing over-frequent pump operation).
There may or may not be an additional anti-sink (SC/MAC) sphere under the boot, depending on model.

Pronounced front-back pitching would suggest suspension is stuck in firm, or centre HA spheres need regassing/replacing. Ride comfort will not be good.
Slight pitching could be normal.
On an XM, correct tyre pressure is essential - do not over-inflate. The tyres are the first line of bump absorption. Michelins v.good.
If the shut-door test does not show up decent softness front and rear, then the centre HA spheres are the first thing to sort (assuming the EVs are working, that is).

Green LHM Plus is available from several oil manufacturers, including Total, Comma and a few others.
A good motor factor might be able to supply it in 5-litre, but not necessarily cheaper than 5x1.

Hope helpful.
Last edited by White Exec on Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris
1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive RP7165 Polar White
1992 BX19D Millesime RP5800 Sable
1989 BX19RD Delage Red Deceased; 1998 ZX 1.9D Avantage auto Triton Green Company car 1998..2001; 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto Wicked Red Company car 2001..2003