Our new baby, silver '94 XM 2.0i SX auto estate

The place to show off and tell us all about your XMs (or even other cars). Should it be a big project, or just some general pics, start your thread in here.
ekjdm14
Knows how to use the parking brake
Orga / RP numbers: 6470

Re: Our new baby, silver '94 XM 2.0i SX auto estate

Post by ekjdm14 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:45 pm

I may leave it but as we have a spare selector & they're easy to swap there's no problem if we did modify it and wanted to return to original spec in future. I've actually never accidentally selected N in any other auto, so not sure why Citroen worried about people doing it :? From what I've read clutch wear isn't an issue with the HP18, whereas springs losing temper and fluid damage through overheating is. Still, it's a subjective thing & those who want to stay in D I'm not saying either way is right or wrong, just my preference to go for N when sat for a while.

Anyhoo, had a productive afternoon's work today, got all the interior out & stored away, bar the headlining (might have to come down to sort the jammed sunroof though), B pillar trims, seatbelt reels and dash/heater etc, carpet and sound deadening rolled back out of the way and some nasty holes revealed at the join between the floorpan and inner sill down the driver's side, plus a small patch required round one of the rubber floor "bungs" in the rear footwell. Should be getting on with some cutting/welding as soon as funds recover enough to afford some more cutting discs and paint/seam sealer etc. (of course once any pipework underneath is suitably removed/protected)

One thing I did notice during stripdown was the strange throttle position sensor on the pedal unit, is this a TPS in the regular sense just mounted in a very "citroen" place, or is it a secondary sensor perhaps related to HA2?

Cheers :)
1994 XM S2 2.0i SX, Estate, Gris quartz met. "or is it????", new project and already our pride & joy!
1996 ZX 1.9TD Elation, Hatch, also Gris quartz metallic, daily workhorse and tatty with it...

russ92xmsed
Global Moderator

Post by russ92xmsed » Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:29 pm

If it's red, then it's to do with the hydractive. It's one of five sensors.
Russ

1992 K reg XM 2.1 Auto SED RP 5712
1992 K reg XM 2.1 Auto SED RP 5705 (D)
Also
2003 C5 2.2 HDI Exclusive

I sell Engine bay, 1990 COTY, Total & Club XM Sticker Decals
http://www.rjwcreativedesign.co.uk

ekjdm14

Post by ekjdm14 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:53 pm

Yep it's the red baby, cheers :)

Itching to get stuck in now but waiting till we can afford the consumables to do the welding work, as it's a nice day though might try and grab a half hour or so later to drop the headlining & see to the sunroof/inspect the drains so at least that can be out of the way ready (plus one more exit route for smoke/fumes from the welding haha)
1994 XM S2 2.0i SX, Estate, Gris quartz met. "or is it????", new project and already our pride & joy!
1996 ZX 1.9TD Elation, Hatch, also Gris quartz metallic, daily workhorse and tatty with it...

ekjdm14

Post by ekjdm14 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:50 pm

Nothing to report today despite the lovely weather, been busy with the kids & my better half feeling ill all day so the most I've done to the XM today is rescue some old cereal boxes and put them in the garage to use as templates for the repairs to the chassis. Luck (and tummy bugs) providing, there will be more like a working sunroof soon :)

ekjdm14

Post by ekjdm14 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:22 pm

Oh, quick question ('nother newbie one as well haha) what's the difference if any between LHM and LHM+ ? Looking on the bay trying to find the best price and the cheapest that comes up is all LHM+

Also, how much would we be likely to need to do a complete change, drain/refill the tank and bleed through all the lines?

Cheers :)

citroenxm
Global Moderator

Post by citroenxm » Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:25 pm

LHM and LHM+ same thing! 5 Litres will sort you out! Theres ALWAYS a bit left in the system!

You can get 5 litres of LHM on ebay for about 25 quid... or so!
Projects:(eventually if theres any bodywork left)
93 L Xm 2.1t D auto project
93 L xm V6 12v Sei Manual

Others
In use.. 1995 M reg S2 2.1td auto exclusive

ekjdm14

Post by ekjdm14 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:45 am

Thanks for confirming that, I had a feeling it might be so but didn't want to hit buy now until I was 100% :)

Found some for 22 quid delivered so not too bad in the big scheme of all things oily. I had imagined it being a bit like changing autobox fluid Re: residual fluid being left in the system, PAS and suspension/pipework would hold some back I guess? TBF what's in there doesn't *look* bad to my as yet inexpert eye but it would just be nice to start off knowing exactly when it was last changed.

One thing I did notice that bodes well for our suspension was the split return pipe on the osf corner, which had come completely adrift, yet even having gone all the way between full height and flat on it's belly a couple of times there was not a huge amount of spill off from the pipe before my *very* temporary fix of just pushing the broken end back on the hard pipe. This would suggest, to me at least, that (this one corner anyway) has very little wear & tear on the hydraulic ram since I've heard that a split return can create a real rustproofing-spray style mess under there. More permanent repair to come when I have a better look and decide whether to cut/join the original pipe or find a Xantia one which I understand is identical.

More coffee now please, should stop me rambling on all morning and get something done!

Eddie nuff
Could do a 2.1 headgasket

Post by Eddie nuff » Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:04 am

If you're intent on changing the green stuff you may as well go the whole hog and drop some Hydroflush in for 1000 miles or so beforehand.
89 XM 2.0Si RP4788 (Gold)

White Exec
Citroen God!
Orga / RP numbers: RP7165
1996 2.5TD saloon, Exclusive, Polar White
1992 BX19D Millesime, Sable Phenicien
Location: ex-Ealing, Cheshire, W.Sussex & Surrey. Now living in Sayalonga (Malaga, Spain)

Post by White Exec » Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:22 am

Strut spill-back pipes still available from Citroen, and right, same as Xantia.
Total Hydraurincage (5-litre) now available once more in UK, via Citroen and elsewhere. Total bring it into UK as needed.
Chris
1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive RP7165 Polar White
1992 BX19D Millesime RP5800 Sable
1989 BX19RD Delage Red Deceased; 1998 ZX 1.9D Avantage auto Triton Green Company car 1998..2001; 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto Wicked Red Company car 2001..2003

ekjdm14

Post by ekjdm14 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:41 am

Good idea, may as well go the whole hog. Still got to find time to do the more important bits yet though (structural welding and sorting brakes).

Gorgeous day today but not looking like I'll get time to do anything car related apart from maybe drive the ZX up to the flat and collect an old Volvo bonnet and Vectra doors to use as patch material... I know, poor old girl will probably scream when she sees such rubbish being grafted to her belly but needs must, and I'll try to limit my material usage to the Swedish panel as I know we'd all hate for there to be ANY Va****ll involved!