Our new baby, silver '94 XM 2.0i SX auto estate

The place to show off and tell us all about your XMs (or even other cars). Should it be a big project, or just some general pics, start your thread in here.
ekjdm14
Knows how to use the parking brake
Orga / RP numbers: 6470

Our new baby, silver '94 XM 2.0i SX auto estate

Post by ekjdm14 » Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:53 am

Copied from new members section now we have the car on our drive 8-)
Well quick update, we won the auction and despite (as previously discussed with seller) not having the cash to pay in full today, Mr Degens (not sure if he's known on here, not seen any posts relating to the car before now?) delivered it to our door tonight, on trust. We pay Tuesday :) You meet the nicest people driving Citroens 8)

So tomorrow after a long lie in (busy day today, took the kids to Drayton Manor setting off at 9am and literally just getting to sit down now!) a more thorough examination of the history file and the car itself is on the jobs list, along with removing the boot trim to allow it to dry & check if the water is due to overenthusiastic washing or a "real" leak. Photos to follow.

And on the gearbox front, it really does look to be a selector problem since we have D N and R but nothing else, the lever will not move further either way. Also the 3 positions are nowhere near where they should be relative to the position indicator on the shifter, although the segment display shows correctly.

Anyway, bedtime now :)
So, morning and time for a quick mess round and pull the boot liner out to dry. Nice surprise when I went to have a quick play with the controls & see what works Vs. what doesn't (good balance in favour of most bits working, just a couple of broken bits like fan slider "knob", passenger vent adjuster & a badly reinstalled centre console/armrest presumably by the garage that bypassed the inhibitor switch, most other bits seem good so far). The surprise being that the remote locking decided to come off "strike" (electrical problem with drivers door by the look of things) so now we don't have to lock up from the passenger side for now at least (driver's lock barrel does the spinning trick, until I get stuck into that).

Off to make a strong coffee, wrap up warmer as it's cold out & then start playing with the gear shifter :)
1994 XM S2 2.0i SX, Estate, Gris quartz met. "or is it????", new project and already our pride & joy!
1996 ZX 1.9TD Elation, Hatch, also Gris quartz metallic, daily workhorse and tatty with it...

MTXM
Citroen God!

Re: Our new baby, silver '94 XM 2.0i SX auto estate

Post by MTXM » Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:44 pm

Well done for taking the plunge and we look forward to further updates! Regards, Matthew T.
1989 V6 Exclusive (Poland car) - Now living in a local Motor Museum!
1990 V6sei auto (grey auto)
1990 V6sei manual (gold car)
1990 V6.24 Pallas (Germany car)
1990 V6.24v (Scotland car)
Other previous XM sold and broken too many to mention!

ekjdm14

Post by ekjdm14 » Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:12 pm

Thanks, couldn't take my eyes off it from the moment I saw the listing & on viewing it looked even more hopeful than the MoT fail sheet made out, so really it was inevitable we'd end up with it just as long as we won the auction :D (put in a mildly ridiculous bid to assure that! :o )

It's now tipping down so rain stops play for today it looks like, but managed to disconnect the gear cable from the balljoint & confirm that the gearbox side of things was indeed fine and the fault was the cable, so moved onto pulling out the old unit and installed the second hand shift lever/cable assembly that came with the car, it now selects all positions perfectly & the gearbox behaves like it should (although the fluid looks like it could do with a change so will do that soon).

Looking at the list of bills for welding work the last few years (they run to nearly 5k!) it seems that it's been patched up every MoT time, when really it could have been cheaper to just get a new pair of outer sills & more comprehensive letting in of larger patches in the other areas it's going. Luckily I'm able to weld so it won't be another £1000 job to sort the outrigger, "chassis" rail & rear ends of the sills this time round, and with luck in the future I'll be in a position to do as I said and fit new sills to get rid of the patchwork quilt effect & crusty seams they currently sport. For now though I'll just be letting in new metal in the areas that failed this year, as we'd like it on the road soon (My better half likes the car a lot already having only been in it twice, so I've said I'll try to get it roadworthy in 2 weeks ready to take us and the boys on a weekend in wales. (speaking of which, if it turns out we're nearby, finances permitting & if the parts we need are available, that break could be useful to facilitate a trip to "far far FAR away" to buy some of the small trim/cosmetic items needed to bring our interior back up to scratch)...

Will try get some photos now as rain seems to have stopped :)
1994 XM S2 2.0i SX, Estate, Gris quartz met. "or is it????", new project and already our pride & joy!
1996 ZX 1.9TD Elation, Hatch, also Gris quartz metallic, daily workhorse and tatty with it...

citroenxm
Global Moderator

Post by citroenxm » Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:53 pm

I think you will carry on the cill patching for a .. they were 300 quid a SIDE .. and b they are likely now no longer available.

as for heater unit.. I assume thats a non air con manual box you have? AND she is a series two aswell? If so I have a spare series two heater control panel with the three roatry dials on it..
Projects:(eventually if theres any bodywork left)
93 L Xm 2.1t D auto project
93 L xm V6 12v Sei Manual

Others
In use.. 1995 M reg S2 2.1td auto exclusive

ekjdm14

Post by ekjdm14 » Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:53 pm

Haha sounds like I'll either be patching for a while yet or making a very long sheet metal bender to fit in my vice haha :o depending on measurements I may look into either fabricating my own or "repurposing" something with a similar profile, as it'd look a whole lot nicer even if they were not exactly the same as original, it looks to have been jacked up by the lip in various places in the past as they're very crusty and mangled :(

yes it's non aircon S2, manual heater controls. I'll post a pic shortly of the broken bit. Only the fan speed slider is actually missing, but I think the panel that the controls sit in has also been damaged too so a complete unit would be the best solution. Another little, piddly and likely unobtanium part is the latch that holds the code pad's cover down, the tiny black part that sits in the CC. (might possibly have something that will fit from my collection of interior bits from other vehicles but not sure till I dig it out & check).

Assuming the heater control panel is the same, how much would you be looking for? (PM if you prefer, and thanks for getting back to us, couldn't for the life of me recall your username, only your "location" such irony, couldn't be much more obvious than citroenxm! :roll: )

Cheers, Dan & Emma :)

citroenxm
Global Moderator

Post by citroenxm » Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:00 pm

Original simple username.. lol..

the lids are rare. Broken ones with a keypad .. the pads are removed and the "original" small cubby holder is put back..

if I have got an unbroken one.. sorry id be hanging onto it for a while longer... yes they break easilly.. but of course wont be available anymore..

Others

Dean
Global Moderator

Post by Dean » Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:02 pm

A whole day of ownership and not a single photo...................I can see a banning on the way ;)

D
92 Citroen XM Prestige 3.0i Auto R.P5678
14 Mitsubishi L200 Trojan
89 Talbot Express 2.0 coach built Auto-trail Chinook

Addicted to Crackanory

citroenxm
Global Moderator

Post by citroenxm » Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:05 pm

Dean wrote:A whole day of ownership and not a single photo...................I can see a banning on the way ;)

D

Behave will you! :lol:

what pic did you post last dean? :D

ill be posting some soon.. ive got an lpg kit to fit to my 24v before x rally!

Others

White Exec
Citroen God!
Orga / RP numbers: RP7165
1996 2.5TD saloon, Exclusive, Polar White
1992 BX19D Millesime, Sable Phenicien
Location: ex-Ealing, Cheshire, W.Sussex & Surrey. Now living in Sayalonga (Malaga, Spain)

Post by White Exec » Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:08 pm

IIRC, the little plastic latch that holds the keypad cover down.....is.....IIRC....identical to a Sony tv part (front control panel door...old KV27"crt???).
John, or Peter, might remember the exact part.
Chris
1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive RP7165 Polar White
1992 BX19D Millesime RP5800 Sable
1989 BX19RD Delage Red Deceased; 1998 ZX 1.9D Avantage auto Triton Green Company car 1998..2001; 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto Wicked Red Company car 2001..2003

citroenxm
Global Moderator

Post by citroenxm » Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:12 pm

I dont think thats the failiure.. its the pivot hinge on the lid that snaps off I thought...

Others