XM 2.0 Turbo SEi Manual, My First Citroen.

The place to show off and tell us all about your XMs (or even other cars). Should it be a big project, or just some general pics, start your thread in here.
MTXM
Citroen God!

Re: XM 2.0 Turbo SEi Manual, My First Citroen.

Post by MTXM » Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:23 pm

I'm confused how reducing output as well as colour spectrum can improve safety.

The French authorities stopped mandating yellow lamps for just that reason.
So what was the point of having them in the first place Will? I always assumed they just got dropped to fall in line with the rest of Europe.
With regards,
Matthew T.
1989 V6 Exclusive (Poland car) - Now living in a local Motor Museum!
1990 V6sei auto (grey auto)
1990 V6sei manual (gold car)
1990 V6.24 Pallas (Germany car)
1990 V6.24v (Scotland car)
Other previous XM sold and broken too many to mention!

Eddie nuff
Could do a 2.1 headgasket

Post by Eddie nuff » Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:52 pm

Purely on looks alone I do like yellow tinted headlights, but seeing as I hardly use the bloody things I can't see me worrying too much about the colour.
89 XM 2.0Si RP4788 (Gold)

markgenesis
Knows how to use the parking brake

Re:

Post by markgenesis » Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:12 pm

Eddie nuff wrote:Purely on looks alone I do like yellow tinted headlights, but seeing as I hardly use the bloody things I can't see me worrying too much about the colour.
Same here Eddie, liked the yellow lights on my old BMW so did the same on the XM, purely for looks, (it's more fitting with the XM being French though) hardly ever find myself driving on unlit country roads at night so dont need super bright high performance lights.

It's a mod that can very easily be reversed.

Matthew, i looked at yellow H1's on E-Bay, they didn't look yellow enough to me so i used the amber tint paint (pictured previously) bought off E-bay on the main beam bulbs, with this you can make them as yellow as you like by giving them a few coats (i gave mine two coats), this is cheaper than buying new bulbs (the bottle of paint was a fiver), works fine, bulbs haven't blown, and can be reversed (yellow laquer cleaned off with white spirit)

Also used the yellow tint paint on the dipped beam lenses (one coat on the smooth side) and still have plenty left.

markgenesis

Post by markgenesis » Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:49 pm

Considering buying a new fuel pump to try and cure the running problem, some have mentioned fuel pressure on here and speaking to an ex mechanic in work he agree's, a weak fuel pump is a possibility, i know some have suggested getting the fuel pressure tested and "chuck a guage on it" but i dont have a fuel pressure guage and a fuel pressure testing kit is about £30 for a cheap one (a guage isn't much cheaper), could give it to a garage to check but would be at lest £50 for an hours labour.

A new pump is £60 (OEM part) so recon it's worth a gamble.

Aerodynamica
Citrobics expert

Post by Aerodynamica » Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:51 pm

Hi Mark, think you're right - you'd be as well to replace the fuel pump if it costs less than Labour.

And at least the fuel filter can was replaced so that's something else on the fuel system that's good

Hope the fuel pump sorts it
1993 Xantia 1.9 TD VSX 'Auld Katy' Mk1 'sinker'

markgenesis

Post by markgenesis » Sun May 03, 2015 6:42 pm

Well, still not got around to replacing the fuel pump or checking the fuel pressure :oops:

Got into the habit of feathering the throttle with the edge of my shoe while braking aproaching junctions, mostly it wont cut out but i just assume it will, seems that if i lift off and let the revs drop it will die but if i feather the throttle and let the revs come down slowly it will stay idling.

Of course drives fine once fully warm.

XM is sitting in the garage unused at the minute as i got my Land Rover finished and using that just now, going to get it up on four stands later and get into the underside with Kurust and Waxoyl in the next week or so.

Also going to look at feeding the leather in the seats as they are a bit dry (someone suggested watered down fabric softener ?)

Still loving it despite it's quirks 8-)

Vince
Citroen go-to-guy

Post by Vince » Mon May 04, 2015 8:12 am

markgenesis wrote:,

And the Series 1 Lotus Elite, done a fair bit of work to this, water pump, timing belt, fuel pump, etc, also a nightmare drivers door hinge repair.

Running great now though, used it thismorning to pop out for flowers for my Mum :)

Awesome Elite Mark :mrgreen: Early Lotus design was fantastic wasnt it....I remember a kid at school in the 80's dad had a yellow one; he used to pick him up in it occasionally. I was already car mad by that stage at remember thinking it looked like it was from outerspace :D Those wheels make the car too in my opinion.

I worked on a newer excel when I started my detailing sideline....it was a right pain to put right :!:

markgenesis

Post by markgenesis » Sat May 16, 2015 4:20 pm

Sorry guys but i've put the XM up for sale :cry: , only on Retro Rides at the moment though, i love it but want to concentrate on the Lotus which will leave no time for the XM.

Here's the add if anyone is interested, it's a fantastic car and i really hope it goes to a good deserving home.

http://retrorides.proboards.com/thread/ ... al-paisley" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MTXM
Citroen God!

Post by MTXM » Sun May 17, 2015 7:59 pm

I was very sorry to hear you are selling the car Mark and I do hope she goes to a good home! I actually had the number plates made and fitted based on a rear plate and an Irish couple living near London who owned the car before me bought the car from the XM Centre. The car was sold to Graham with at least two or possibly three keys! With regards, Matthew T.
1989 V6 Exclusive (Poland car) - Now living in a local Motor Museum!
1990 V6sei auto (grey auto)
1990 V6sei manual (gold car)
1990 V6.24 Pallas (Germany car)
1990 V6.24v (Scotland car)
Other previous XM sold and broken too many to mention!

markgenesis

Post by markgenesis » Tue May 19, 2015 8:28 am

Would love to keep it Matt but it's just not being used as much as i'd like, not the end of the world if it doen't sell.

The plates are a nice addition, i love original looking plates on an older car.

Only got one key sadly, Graeme lost the other one.

Spent ages last week cleaning, de rusting and Waxoyling the underside, pleased to find the car is 100% solid and the suspension pipes are all great, it's in the garage with a good de-humidifier so at least the car is being preserved.

The Lotus has been relegated to the back garden :lol: