XM 2.0 Turbo SEi Manual, My First Citroen.

The place to show off and tell us all about your XMs (or even other cars). Should it be a big project, or just some general pics, start your thread in here.
markgenesis
Knows how to use the parking brake

Re: XM 2.0 Turbo SEi Manual, My First Citroen.

Post by markgenesis » Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:56 pm

Ah, cheers for the info Graeme, i think the Temp sensor Dieselman will be meaning is the water Temp sensor, pretty sure this is the one above the oil filter ?, pretty sure problems would be a lot worse if it was a fuel pressure issue.

May try and get a new Temp sensor tomorrow and bung it in, only a tenner or so, worth a try.

markgenesis

Post by markgenesis » Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:56 pm

Right, did a bit more research, recon the sensor above the oil filter is the oil pressure light, the water temperature sensors are on the housing on the right of the head under the coil pack, there is a bown, blue and looks like there is a green one further down, a'm i right in thinking the green one feeds the ECU ?

Dean
Global Moderator

Post by Dean » Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:56 pm

Yes, the blue one I think is instrument temp gauge and the blue one fan control, I think, don't hold me to it though, there is an air temp sensor on the throttle body which I THINK is a yellow plug and then the map sensor is in the ECU with a hose running from the throttle body, its only these three sensors and lambda that are associated with the mixture.

The green plug above the oil filter is probably the knock sensor, if its missing under load in a high gear it would suggest to me a spark issue, unlikely to be the coil pack when cold but it could be the ign control module, they do weird things there was a recall on this age ECU for stalling on a trailing throttle when cold which can be uploaded by a friendly Lexia owner but I would say this has been done.

D
92 Citroen XM Prestige 3.0i Auto R.P5678
14 Mitsubishi L200 Trojan
89 Talbot Express 2.0 coach built Auto-trail Chinook

Addicted to Crackanory

markgenesis

Post by markgenesis » Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:44 am

Cheers for the info Dean ;)
Dean wrote: there was a recall on this age ECU for stalling on a trailing throttle when cold which can be uploaded by a friendly Lexia owner but I would say this has been done.

D
Ah, the ECU in this car has been modified (chipped), there was a theory (in Graeme's thread) that this may have deleted the Recall.

Will be trying another ECU soon, but will change the ECU temp sensor for all it costs, look's like the coil pack and poss the intercooler hose will need to come off to get access to it.

markgenesis

Post by markgenesis » Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:24 pm

Had the car out earlier and it ran perfect.

Funnily enough was out to order a new green temp sensor (motor factor couldn't get one anyway)

Poor running definitely seems dependant on ambient temperature.

Also had a good look underneath earlier (while trying to see if the temp sensor is easier to get to from underneath), it's absolutely solid 8-) , just a few areas i need to scrape and attack with Kurust and underseal, will get that done soon.

What's everyones thoughts on yellow tinted lights ?, not the headlights just the bumper indicator/fog units. Was going to get the stick on film from E-bay.

Used it on the fog and main beams on my old 750iL and liked it :)

Dieselman
Global Moderator

Post by Dieselman » Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:45 pm

Yellow film really reduces the light output. I recently saw a lorry with yellow filmed lights and was surprised the driver did the mod.
92 2.1SED M.RP5740 ECZ Sable Phenicien
92 3.0 V6-24.Rp 5713 EXY Black
92 2.1SD M.RP 5685 ENT Blue Sideral
Prev
90 2.1SD M.RP 5049 EJV Mandarin
92 2.1SD A.RP 5698 EJV Mandarin
94 2.1SD A.RP 6218 ERT Triton Green
91 2.0SI M.RP 5187 EWT White

ekjdm14
Orga / RP numbers: 6470

Post by ekjdm14 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:02 pm

XM low beams are yellow tinted anyway by now, courtesy of aging plastic lenses lol :lol: that's another of the more minor issues to address on our silver estate in between bouts of rust warfare. IMO it might look nice but if you're doing any night driving avoid it.

having said that, it would look good and not affect night vision on just the indicator/fog lenses.
1994 XM S2 2.0i SX, Estate, Gris quartz met. "or is it????", new project and already our pride & joy!
1996 ZX 1.9TD Elation, Hatch, also Gris quartz metallic, daily workhorse and tatty with it...

White Exec
Citroen God!
Orga / RP numbers: RP7165
1996 2.5TD saloon, Exclusive, Polar White
1992 BX19D Millesime, Sable Phenicien
Location: ex-Ealing, Cheshire, W.Sussex & Surrey. Now living in Sayalonga (Malaga, Spain)

Post by White Exec » Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:33 pm

Plenty of gold and yellow-tinted H1 lamps on the web...
Chris
1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive RP7165 Polar White
1992 BX19D Millesime RP5800 Sable
1989 BX19RD Delage Red Deceased; 1998 ZX 1.9D Avantage auto Triton Green Company car 1998..2001; 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto Wicked Red Company car 2001..2003

xantia_v6
XM Guru

Post by xantia_v6 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:36 am

Re your ECU and running problem, It could be that the ECU remapping was not optimal for low temperatures, and is giving a lean mixture.
You could try adding a 1k Ohm resistor in series with the coolant temperature sensor, which will make the ECU think that the engine is colder and deliver a bit more fuel.
1999 XM Exclusive V6 24V ES9 Manual (LHD) 105,000 km
1997 Xantia Exclusive V6 (RHD) 45,000 miles

markgenesis

Post by markgenesis » Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:03 pm

White Exec wrote:Plenty of gold and yellow-tinted H1 lamps on the web...
Going to go for yellow tinted H1's in the main beams (blue tinted ones in there at the moment) and yellow film on the bumper light units.
xantia_v6 wrote:Re your ECU and running problem, It could be that the ECU remapping was not optimal for low temperatures, and is giving a lean mixture.
You could try adding a 1k Ohm resistor in series with the coolant temperature sensor, which will make the ECU think that the engine is colder and deliver a bit more fuel.
Yep, agree that's a possibility, desperate to try a standard ECU though before messing about with resistors, hopefully soon.

Pulled out the spare wheel carrier earlier, just a bit crusty on one side so will weld in some fresh steel, give it a good scrub, de-rust and repaint.

Underside is solid but some surface rust on the rear subframe needing treated, also some surface rust near the frame mounts, will clean it all and give it a blast of Dinitrol.

Suspension problems have reared their head again :roll: , noticed the tell tale Hydractive light Graeme fitted was staying on all the time, suspension felt stiff, had a look through his thread for some pointers, unplugged the throttle sensor, suspension is soft all the time now and light is out, can live with it like this for now but something else to sort.