XM 2.0 Turbo SEi Manual, My First Citroen.

The place to show off and tell us all about your XMs (or even other cars). Should it be a big project, or just some general pics, start your thread in here.
markgenesis
Knows how to use the parking brake

XM 2.0 Turbo SEi Manual, My First Citroen.

Post by markgenesis » Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:05 pm

Hi Guys, new custodian of Graeme's (Aerodynamica) car here.

Had lots of varied older cars in the past but this is my first Citroen (so may be asking lots of questions), spotted it on CarandClassic, last drove an XM back in the late 90's, my Boss's car at the time, that was a 2.5TD, loved that, Graeme's car was very local, viewed it last Wednesday night, loved it, decided to go for it.

Felt a bit sorry for Graeme after doing so much work to the car, he was selling it for what he paid for it, but i've been there loads of times with my past cars, and even my current ones, my old Land Rover Discovery has had twice it's value spent on it in the last two years and i've still not finished spending money on it, just the way it is with older cars.

It has found a very good home though, i look after my cars, worked as a car Mechanic back in the late 80's to mid 90's, cars have been a hobby since, dont do big miles (walk the 2.5 miles to work most days), the XM will take turns in the garage with my Lotus Elite (the Discovery wont fit).

Still has the slight running issue, starts fine from cold but cuts out after a mile or so, restarts fine or if coasting let the clutch out (bump starting it), does not cut out at all once fully warm.
Drives superb otherwise though, took it on a 20 mile run yesterday and a 40 mile run today, had a couple of E38 BMW's past couple of years including a V12, i'd say the XM drives nicer and is more comfortable (though obviously not as fast as a V12 E38), one big difference i've noticed is it seems to be really short geared, first is very short, also noticed the motor is turning at 3K at 70mph, the V12 E38 was turning 1800 rpm at 70 mph.

Plans are to source a new front O/S wing and get it painted to replace the rough one that's on there, also would like to try another ECU to see if that cures the cold running issue, and i'll change the front flexy hoses that were advised in the last MOT.

Gave it a good clean last couple of days, not that it was that bad, just usual stuff that doesn't get done over the winter like the door shuts etc, conditioned all the rubber seals and went over the leather with conditioner, still have a couple of other bits to clean but it's looking pretty sharp.

Here's my Monster Discovery, in it's purpose built parking space in my back garden, currently needing welding to the front inner wings so going to be starting that soon (once it get's a bit warmer), despite how it look's it's never been offroad, it's a show pony, just too nice and too much money spent on it to bash it about, besides i hate mud :lol:

And the Series 1 Lotus Elite, done a fair bit of work to this, water pump, timing belt, fuel pump, etc, also a nightmare drivers door hinge repair.

Running great now though, used it thismorning to pop out for flowers for my Mum :)

Eddie nuff
Could do a 2.1 headgasket

Post by Eddie nuff » Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:17 pm

Good to see that Graeme's car has gone to a home where it will be looked after.
89 XM 2.0Si RP4788 (Gold)

cxprestigeauto
Citroen go-to-guy

Re: XM 2.0 Turbo SEi Manual, My First Citroen.

Post by cxprestigeauto » Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:48 pm

Enjoy the XM, Graeme has done huge amount on her to get to this point.

A new ECU sounds like a must!

Nice Lotus.

Rob
1991 XM 2.0 Si auto RP 4903 (12 April 1990) Alpine White
2019 Suzuki Vitara AllGrip SZ5 Automatic 1.4 BoosterJet. White
1972 Banham Sprint kit car (Frogeye Sprite replica, really a Mini!)

MTXM
Citroen God!

Post by MTXM » Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:11 pm

Welcome Mark and it is nice to see my old car once again in good hands! I bought the XM at around 90K with a number of issues and cosmetically very tired although mechanically good. We owned her for about eight years I guess and added around 35K and it was a reluctant sale, but I had decided on to focus on my main interest which is the PRV V6. All the best, Mathew T.
Last edited by MTXM on Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1989 V6 Exclusive (Poland car) - Now living in a local Motor Museum!
1990 V6sei auto (grey auto)
1990 V6sei manual (gold car)
1990 V6.24 Pallas (Germany car)
1990 V6.24v (Scotland car)
Other previous XM sold and broken too many to mention!

Aerodynamica
Citrobics expert

Post by Aerodynamica » Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:06 pm

Looking good Mark - was a pleasure to meet you. I have a box of goodies for you as well ( some spare parts including an idle control unit)

looks like the XM is in good hands! I love that Land Rover!
1993 Xantia 1.9 TD VSX 'Auld Katy' Mk1 'sinker'

fakeconcern

Post by fakeconcern » Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:14 pm

Looks good (I want your wheels!)
1995 XM V6 Exclusive
2005 C4 VTS 180

citroenxm
Global Moderator

Post by citroenxm » Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:03 pm

I might be able to help with an ECU or TWO!!!

Theres certainly a couple here..
Projects:(eventually if theres any bodywork left)
93 L Xm 2.1t D auto project
93 L xm V6 12v Sei Manual

Others
In use.. 1995 M reg S2 2.1td auto exclusive

markgenesis

Post by markgenesis » Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:36 pm

Aerodynamica wrote:Looking good Mark - was a pleasure to meet you. I have a box of goodies for you as well ( some spare parts including an idle control unit)

looks like the XM is in good hands! I love that Land Rover!
Great to meet you to Graeme, you could probably tell i dont mess about when buying a car :lol:, had my share of timewasters in the past, hate when that happens.

If you want me to collect those bits that'd be great, could meet somewhere ?, wouldn't mind seeing your CX :)

citroenxm wrote:I might be able to help with an ECU or TWO!!!

Theres certainly a couple here..
That'd be great, would you need the code off my ECU ?

Cheers for the welcome guys :)

citroenxm
Global Moderator

Post by citroenxm » Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:39 pm

No.. im certain there was only one tct type.. im sure these ecus are unlocked and dont need a code but a cant promise.

First thing to do when you connect them is disconnet the key pad first.. plug them in and try.

The reason.. if the ecus are uncoded and you plug them in with a keypad connected they will revert to needing a code...
Projects:(eventually if theres any bodywork left)
93 L Xm 2.1t D auto project
93 L xm V6 12v Sei Manual

Others
In use.. 1995 M reg S2 2.1td auto exclusive

markgenesis

Post by markgenesis » Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:43 pm

Ah, do you mean the keypad in the centre consol to start the car ?, my car doesn't have that.

By code i meant any numbers off the unit it's self.