I decided to share my experiences of my first Citroën. I've had some second hand experience with the brand, but this is my first own one. I've always liked the styling of the S1 XM. I bought this '94 (built 02/94) TCT in somewhat worn shape about a week ago for less than 700 GBP. I've since ordered parts for another 700, most of which are yet to arrive. I haven't driven it that much yet, but so far I'm liking it. The car has been imported from Germany in 2005 and has done a total of 110k miles.
There's a whole lot of stuff to be fixed for the car to be complete in my eyes, but I'm not in a rush. I plan to focus on the mechanical stuff first, but I couldn't help myself from ordering a few cosmetic parts as well. The exterior is the biggest letdown. It has to be said though, that the car has surprisingly little rust, some bubbling at the top of the windshield surround and surface rust on the dent in the right sill. The doors and jacking points have been spared from corrosion.
Here's a short list of stuff to be done before I'm totally happy with it, starting from the most urgent:
- Oil change. Parts procured.
- Change timing belt, tensioner and water pump. Parts procured.
- Replace front strut mounts.
- Replace knocking left driveshaft.
- Find reason for choppiness and K-light on full acceleration.
- Replace fuel filter. Parts procured.
- Replace oxygen sensor. Parts procured.
- Locate and remedy noise in engine bay that sounds like a pot of boiling potatoes.
- Fix sill dent and door.
- Fix rust surrounding the windshield.
- Replace or repair front bumper damage.
- Replace front corner lights with fresher ones.
- New front number plate. Parts procured.
- Replace burned interior bulbs.
- Repaint window frame parts black. Parts procured.
- Laminate front indicators and fog lights to protect from stonechips. Parts procured.
- Replace LHM fluid. Parts procured.
- Apply chrome tape to bumper/door trims.
- Rejuvenate faded trim bits back to black. Parts procured.
- Install e-Crofting Hydractive 2 repair kit. Parts procured.
- Replace all lock cylinders.
- Retrofit aftermarket remote control for central locking. Parts procured.
- Fix restless speedo needle.
- Retrofit electric armrest. Parts procured.
- Repair LH display. Parts procured.
- Replace remaining two engine mounts just in case.
- Replace control arm bushes and ball joints just in case.
- Repaint rear quarter window trims.
- Paint all 8 steel wheels silver.
- Retrofit black S1 leather interior. Parts procured.
Here’s a list of what I’ve already done:
- Replaced broken rear tail light.
- Replaced spark plugs.
- Replaced ignition leads.
- Replaced ignition coil.
- Replaced air filter.
- Swapped dead wiper motor for working one.
- Resuscitated completely jammed door locks.
- Swapped whining blower motor for good used one.
- Replaced the keypad cover.
- Replaced two-spoke steering wheel with one-spoke.
- Found correct wiper motor crank position.
- Fitted S1 hubcaps.
- Installed Yellow low beam bulbs.
- Fitted new velour carpets.
- Replaced all suspension spheres.
- Replaced rear engine mount.
Comments and tips on my looong list of stuff to be done welcome. Thanks!
Edit: Checked some things off the list.