K725 KVG (former home)

The place to show off and tell us all about your XMs (or even other cars). Should it be a big project, or just some general pics, start your thread in here.
raynoon
Could do a 2.1 headgasket
Orga / RP numbers: 6043

K725 KVG (former home)

Post by raynoon » Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:48 pm

In light of the atrocious vandalism that took place last week, Vince decided to let his beloved KVG go to a new home.

For those that are not aware of what happened, Vinces' car was parked in a town centre side street when gob-sh!tes decided to smash the rear screen and severely damage the front screen. I guess Vince, with a heavy heart, decided that KVG was beyond economic repair and put her up for sale. Citroenxm (Paul) twisted my arm and within a few hours a sale had been agreed.

I picked her up on Sunday and I was astounded by the overall fantastic condition of this car, she needs a brake light bulb and some work on sealing the sunroof, but she's indoors for now until I can get a rear hatch and a new front screen. I suspect I'll get this done by early Spring next year.

I really do feel for Vince, if this had happened to me I don't think I'd be able to remain so calm.

However, I promise I'll do everything I can to get this car back to its former glory and turn her into the show car she deserves to be.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by raynoon on Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1993 Citroen XM 2.1 turboSD auto
1995 Citroen XM 2.1TD Auto EXCLUSIVE

russ92xmsed
Global Moderator

Re: K725 KVG has a new home

Post by russ92xmsed » Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:46 pm

Well done Ray for saving it. :) It is a great car with a very interesting history. Vince cherished it, ....the cosmetic work done is quite amazing.

It's such a shame this has happened. :( I would be more than apocycliptic! Infact my reaction might be to garage and never let out again!! ..but then what's the point in having it.

I hope you can sort it out easily enough. The front screen might be a challenge. Just make sure it doesn't get too damp inside. Don't want a rotting interior to contend with.
Russ

1992 K reg XM 2.1 Auto SED RP 5712
1992 K reg XM 2.1 Auto SED RP 5705 (D)
Also
2003 C5 2.2 HDI Exclusive

I sell Engine bay, 1990 COTY, Total & Club XM Sticker Decals
http://www.rjwcreativedesign.co.uk

Dieselman
Global Moderator

Post by Dieselman » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:33 pm

The front screen can't leak, it's laminated and bonded in.

Perhaps a salutary lesson to not park in quiet side streets in towns, though XM normally don't get picked out. Do you now if other cars were targeted as well.
92 2.1SED M.RP5740 ECZ Sable Phenicien
92 3.0 V6-24.Rp 5713 EXY Black
92 2.1SD M.RP 5685 ENT Blue Sideral
Prev
90 2.1SD M.RP 5049 EJV Mandarin
92 2.1SD A.RP 5698 EJV Mandarin
94 2.1SD A.RP 6218 ERT Triton Green
91 2.0SI M.RP 5187 EWT White

citroenxm
Global Moderator

Post by citroenxm » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:35 pm

According to vince over on fb will yes other cars were targetted.. so it wasnt a pick out just wrong place at wrong time
Projects:(eventually if theres any bodywork left)
93 L Xm 2.1t D auto project
93 L xm V6 12v Sei Manual

Others
In use.. 1995 M reg S2 2.1td auto exclusive

raynoon

Post by raynoon » Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:22 am

It's the sunroof that's leaking, or the aerial base, the plastic sheeting on the rear screen lasted until the end of the motorway slip road but luckily it only rained on the faster bits of the journey home.

russ92xmsed
Global Moderator

Post by russ92xmsed » Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:53 pm

You can easily fix the aerial base with a bit of sealant for the time being if it's really leaking. I found from experience that one of the screws to the sunroof motor under the interior light, closest to the windscreen, can let water in and it cascades out the light and switches. Bit of sealant up the screw hole stopped it immediately.

If it's the seal, I used some dingy waterproof clear tape to cover the glass to rubber seal join. That worked well. Just make sure the water that gets in doesn't get under the carpet into the foam sound deadening. It's a bugger to dry out. Mine spent two weeks in the bath drying out!

Or just a bloody big waterproof car cover will do it! :lol: ...but really, do the proper fix and it will be fine.
Russ

Also

raynoon

Post by raynoon » Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:36 pm

It's parked indoors now, so hopefully no more rain getting in, I'm not certain if it's the sunroof that's leaking or the motor screws.
I'll get round to sorting it eventually!

russ92xmsed
Global Moderator

Post by russ92xmsed » Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:52 pm

At least it's safe and dry. :).... sunroofs are a flipping pain. :(
Russ

Also

Vince
Citroen go-to-guy

Post by Vince » Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:36 pm

Evening all.... ;)

Ray, to save you a bit of time poking around. The sunroof front doesn't leak in from the ariel base, the front drain holes have always been blocked but it drains fine out of the rear. Handy for me as I had angled driveway so when pointed nose up the sunroof was bone dry and only ever dripped (a bit) if left parked on the flat in the pouring rain. The sunroof mechanism has always been shot since I bought it from Paul. Water catches nicely in the infra red receiver bit on the interior light cover so if you empty that out if its leaked in (2 min job) then its dry again. The water ingress has always been through it pooling up in the sunroof channels due to the blocked front drain holes. Probably not a big job to crack and as I said when it was sold, for most of this year it hasnt leaked...at all! so there is a sweet spot where the sunroof seal still works fine :) Finding it again is the hard part :P

The rear brake light is not the bulb or the board, its an earth problem. I had it a year or so ago and got it re earthed and it sprang back to life. I have tested it by swapping the bulb holders over and the fault is not on them. It the earth...trust me ;) It must just need doing again. TBH my mate said he'd do it a few weeks before but we never seemed to be free at the same time so it never got done :roll:

Also a good thing to know is he was going to re wire the cigarette lighter up. It has always worked, and still will, but when I plugged a sat nav into it, I smelt the wiring getting too hot so never used it thinking it must be drawing too much power through the old wiring. I never smoked so I didnt need the lighter, but the lighter works fine and pops out nice and hot if you do ;) Just telling you this as I dont know anything about vehicle electrics, but wires getting too hot is never a good situation and if you werent aware then it could pose a serious problem :|

If you need to know anything about its foibles....and I cant think of any off hand that I havent told you about, then give me a shout ;)

There's nothing scary to find :lol:

I'll be keeping an eye on here.....it will be nice to see it with new windows back in it. I do miss it ;) Cruising on the motorway just isn't the same, and whilst its nice enough in my new (old ish) car, it was always my favourite part of driving an xm....OMG its proper taking me back writing this :P 8-)

raynoon

Post by raynoon » Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:16 am

Thanks for the info Vince, saves me a job of stripping down the sunroof. I'm so glad she's parked indoors during these awful weather conditions. It's gonna be after Christmas, maybe even early springtime before I replace the window and tailgate. Last time I was with her I noticed that the rear most window on the drivers side had also been attacked, I'm just so glad that they never succeeded in smashing this as I fear it would be too much hassle to replace.