M925 OVN

The place to show off and tell us all about your XMs (or even other cars). Should it be a big project, or just some general pics, start your thread in here.
Nuage
Can find the S1 radio

M925 OVN

Post by Nuage » Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:03 pm

Having access to a workshop for the Christmas holiday I've taken the chance to explore my new car. I was looking for problems and have found a few.
Also taken the chance to sort some of the cosmetics. Mainly three of the roof edge trims. I don't know their proper name, four top the doors and two above the rear sidelights. For some reason three were perfect and three were badly delaquered. One, on the fwd passenger door, was also dented.
I'd noticed that the fwd drivers side jacking point was bent outwards and the cill nearby was also bent. So I spent half an hour attacking the area with a wire brush and rotary wire brush and found that the underseal did indeed hide some rot.
PC280743.jpg
PC280740.jpg
And also this:
PC280753.jpg

Citroen XM. Is this what is called an outrigger? Seems to need attention!

I've cleaned the area up and doused it in rust cure, tomorrow I'll red ox it then reseal it until I can organise some welding.
Is this likely to be straightforward work? I'm not very knowledgable about welding. Yet.

Andy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

xantia_v6
XM Guru

Re: M925 OVN

Post by xantia_v6 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:56 pm

In your introduction topic, you mentioned the rear suspension dropping after start-up. This may be more or less normal behaviour. It is almost certainly not the doseur valve as on a car with anti-sink, the doseur is isolated from the rear suspension by the anti-sink valve, until system pressure is re-established. It is probably caused by the sphere pressures equalising when the hydroactive valve opens (which happens when the system pressure gets almost to its normal value. At that point if (as is usually the case) the centre sphere has a lower pressure than the corner spheres, fluid rapidly transfers from the struts and corner spheres to fill the centre sphere. The effect is more noticeable if the corner spheres are a bit flat (as more of the fluid comes from the struts).
1999 XM Exclusive V6 24V ES9 Manual (LHD) 105,000 km
1997 Xantia Exclusive V6 (RHD) 45,000 miles

citroenxm
Global Moderator

Post by citroenxm » Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:46 pm

Hi .. no thats the outer cill area and its the lower wing section seen there. The outrigger is behind that jacking point..on the floor area. .

your other rust areas pictured above are more common area again for rusting out... ive had to do an R reg estate and also my H reg v6 24v there..
Projects:(eventually if theres any bodywork left)
93 L Xm 2.1t D auto project
93 L xm V6 12v Sei Manual

Others
In use.. 1995 M reg S2 2.1td auto exclusive

Peter.N.
Global Moderator

Post by Peter.N. » Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:51 am

I think most of my sills were bent, or I bent them even on much younger cars, I think they are just not strong enough.

Peter
'96 'N' 2.1 td VSX manual estate White RP6695. Sadly gone
2008 C5 2.0. Hdi Estate, Red
2008 C5 2.0. Hdi Estate Silver

Located in Charmouth, Dorset

Dieselman
Global Moderator

Post by Dieselman » Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:26 am

That rust doesn't look bad at all and is easily repaired.
92 2.1SED M.RP5740 ECZ Sable Phenicien
92 3.0 V6-24.Rp 5713 EXY Black
92 2.1SD M.RP 5685 ENT Blue Sideral
Prev
90 2.1SD M.RP 5049 EJV Mandarin
92 2.1SD A.RP 5698 EJV Mandarin
94 2.1SD A.RP 6218 ERT Triton Green
91 2.0SI M.RP 5187 EWT White

Nuage
Can find the S1 radio

Post by Nuage » Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:38 pm

Thanks for the comments. I don't think the rust is too awful either. I've been searching for it and am pleased I've found it so I can sort it before it gets worse. I think (tempting fate here) I've found most of it.
Thanks for the tip about the outriggers CitroenXM. O/S very good, N/S not so good.
IMG_2199.JPG
I'm only frustrated because I don't know how to weld.

Thanks for the comments about the dropping rear end Xantia_V6. I'm not sure its the doseur valve either. I read a thread on here about someone with a similar issue and thought that was how they solved it. I'll see if I can find the thread again. It may well be normal as you say, and the condition of the spheres is a bit unknown, however it sometimes drops with quite a jolt which seems to defeat the point of the anti-sink. I'm also not sure if the Hydractive is behaving totally as it should. So I need to start eliminating things one by one.

Andy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Nuage
Can find the S1 radio

Post by Nuage » Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:54 pm

This is the thread that led me to believe it maybe the Doseur valve.
I need to read it again with a clear head, it's quite involved and I may have misunderstood.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=69&hilit=rear+drops+on+start+up" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

citroenxm
Global Moderator

Post by citroenxm » Tue Dec 29, 2015 4:40 pm

The thing with the xm is majority are sinkers.. initially only the 2.5 had anti sink.. then it was also standard with the ESJ V6 from 1996 and I think then it was added to 2.1 and the TCT and 2.0 16v engines..

all xm up to 1996 except 2.5 should be sinkers so not many of us have it.. it is however the same or simmilar setup to xantias which has then from 1994 ..

Outriggers get missed a lot. I worked on one which the underseal was in place and intact yet the metal had complete rotted away from behind the underseal...
Projects:(eventually if theres any bodywork left)
93 L Xm 2.1t D auto project
93 L xm V6 12v Sei Manual

Others
In use.. 1995 M reg S2 2.1td auto exclusive

xantia_v6
XM Guru

Post by xantia_v6 » Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:51 pm

Nuage wrote:This is the thread that led me to believe it maybe the Doseur valve.
I need to read it again with a clear head, it's quite involved and I may have misunderstood.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=69&hilit=rear+drops+on+start+up" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That thread does have some very good information (but also some rubbish). I think that you need to do a bit more diagnosis and give some more details here before jumping to any conclusions about the cause. It is not clear that you have the same symptoms as described there.
1999 XM Exclusive V6 24V ES9 Manual (LHD) 105,000 km
1997 Xantia Exclusive V6 (RHD) 45,000 miles

Nuage
Can find the S1 radio

Post by Nuage » Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:59 pm

Thanks Xantia, I agree. There are several things I need to investigate. I'll do a more detailed write up of what I know is happening and what isn't soon.
When the cars off the ramps I'll try the ignition off, closed doors etc test again. I don't think it's doing what it should.
I think an interrogation of the ECU would be useful. A friend of a friend has some Citroen diagnostic equipment which he knows how to use (being an ex Citroen/Peugeot mechanic) I'm waiting to hear if it's compatible with the XM and whether he's happy to have a look or not. I was thinking of investing in Lexia, but getting a good clone seems to be bit of a minefield.