A history lesson

The place to show off and tell us all about your XMs (or even other cars). Should it be a big project, or just some general pics, start your thread in here.
DerekW
Knows how to use the parking brake

A history lesson

Post by DerekW » Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:32 pm

This is the complete list of Citroens that I've owned over the years, unfortunately not including my Aden ID. I've got some photos somewhere but haven't been able to locate them.

First an oddity, a non-Citroen, it was I think the fourth old banger I owned, Date was 1956 and it's a 1934 ex-police Roesch Talbot 105. Aluminium body, centrepoint chassis lubrication, Wilson self-selecting preselector gearbox et al. The vertical radiator slats were thermostatically controlled and unfortunately, yes, that is a crack in the windscreen.:

Forward to the late seventies/early eighties, my two GSs. GSX on the left, GS Pallas on the right.

These were followed by my GSA Pallas, welcome to my first five speed gearbox:

Followed by the BX 16TRS:

Which gave way to my first XM, a low-spec 2.0i auto. My dear wife said " get an automatic, then I can drive it". Four XM autos later and she hasn't driven any of them - but I've got to like them :D :

I hankered after leather seats and aircon, so that one gave way to a 2.0SEi auto. I've always regretted selling this one:

And so to our new home in Lincolnshire and, after a wasted three years with a 3.0 Peugeot 406, my current 3 litre 24 valve Exclusive:

...and its partner, the 2.0 TCT estate (my £250 special), another auto:

I haven't included my wife's ZX - no photo's. And that's the lot, the present two will probably see me out and I give myself a severe talking-to every time I'm tempted by another one on ebay.

Derek
2000 V6 Exclusive, black. RP 8362
2004 C3 Exclusive Sensodrive,the wife's. She doesn't like it.
1995 ZX 1.8 auto, the latest replacement, she loves ZX's. Peace at last.

jorgy
Could do a 2.1 headgasket

Re: A history lesson

Post by jorgy » Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:54 am

Hi Derek

Thanks for sharing this...How many memories these photos must evoke to you! Cars are so ever-present through our lives -each and every car my family has owned almost "labels" the relevant period of life...When I was a kid, the 80s, all the family had Fiats...happy times, not a worry in the world...I remember how modern I thought my aunt's new Ritmo looked with its full plastic bumpers! I swear I can still listen to my parent's nervous 127 engine sound as it goes through the gears -must be sooo deeply inscribed in my brain! I remember skiing holidays all the way across from Athens into former-Yugoslavian resorts...600 miles driving one way...picture a convoy of 127s: my family! Madness! Then, my parents also got a 2nd car, a Citroen LN !! With the 2CV 600cc....! Although slower than the Fiat, it felt as if u had just jumped into a Mercedes by comparison. Ahhhhh...innocent times!

cheers
George
'94 XM 3.0 12v LHD Manual, DIRAVI, Black - @138k, now 175k - RP6336 - SORN
'93 XM 2.1TD SED Manual, Pearl Emerald Green - @80k, now 115k - RP6077
SOLD '99 2.0 Xantia HDi Exclusive, Silver -118k to 130k
'00 XM 3.0 24v Exclusive, Silver - @117k

Dieselman
Global Moderator

Re: A history lesson

Post by Dieselman » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:00 am

I remember my Dad getting his first Citroen to replace his ageing 1964 Humber Sceptre. When he said he was getting a Citroen I had visions of a 2CV or Ami... :oops: :o
Thankfully it turned out to be a white GS Club estate...Phew.. :lol:
That was followed by a gold Club estate, then an Ex-demo GSA...the first one the local dealer had...powder blue with tinted glass and sunroof...Wowee..not forgetting 1300cc and 5 speed box..heaven.. :lol: I learned to drive in that car.. :twisted:

Other than rust the GS/A range are a fantastic car.
92 2.1SED M.RP5740 ECZ Sable Phenicien
92 3.0 V6-24.Rp 5713 EXY Black
92 2.1SD M.RP 5685 ENT Blue Sideral
Prev
90 2.1SD M.RP 5049 EJV Mandarin
92 2.1SD A.RP 5698 EJV Mandarin
94 2.1SD A.RP 6218 ERT Triton Green
91 2.0SI M.RP 5187 EWT White