Slightly Strange at Donington Circuit

The place to show off and tell us all about your XMs (or even other cars). Should it be a big project, or just some general pics, start your thread in here.
jamesnoble
Knows how to use the parking brake

Slightly Strange at Donington Circuit

Post by jamesnoble » Fri May 13, 2016 7:17 pm

So I had the opportunity to run the blue 2000 W ES9 v6 24v Mk1 alike round Donington on Wednesday. It caused quite a stir :D . As I've not posted any pictures of the car here she is flat out! It was a filthy day, so she's not looking quite as shiny as normal. :)

All in all quite a strange experience; she is certainly not your average track day car! Certainly way more comfortable than anything else I have driven on track.

James

I still need some genuine carpet matts if anyone has them!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Citroens: XM V6 24v ES9, CX GTi Turbo 2 Familiale "The Flying Cigar", AX TGE1.1
Previous Citroens: C6 V6 Exclusive Petrol, XM V6 SEi Man, XM V6 Exclusive Auto ZPJ, BX14, 2CV Dolly, Visa "Van Rouge", CX 25 RI Familiale

Dieselman
Global Moderator

Re: Slightly Strange at Donington Circuit

Post by Dieselman » Fri May 13, 2016 7:36 pm

How did it perform?
92 2.1SED M.RP5740 ECZ Sable Phenicien
92 3.0 V6-24.Rp 5713 EXY Black
92 2.1SD M.RP 5685 ENT Blue Sideral
Prev
90 2.1SD M.RP 5049 EJV Mandarin
92 2.1SD A.RP 5698 EJV Mandarin
94 2.1SD A.RP 6218 ERT Triton Green
91 2.0SI M.RP 5187 EWT White

citroenxm
Global Moderator

Post by citroenxm » Fri May 13, 2016 8:03 pm

Never mind the track day, the fitment of S1 Dash into an S2 car is just outright PERFECT and makes a better S2 car.

Did the heater box need swapping at all?? Or does the S1 dash fit straight in??

As for track days, I was planning one for my S1 S1 24v Manual XM, however now, setbacks its NOT going to happen... The Fifth Gear Test track (well one of them) is local to me here!
Projects:(eventually if theres any bodywork left)
93 L Xm 2.1t D auto project
93 L xm V6 12v Sei Manual

Others
In use.. 1995 M reg S2 2.1td auto exclusive

MTXM
Citroen God!

Post by MTXM » Fri May 13, 2016 9:26 pm

That is certainly an interesting hybrid James and well done for completing the project. Hopefully it may be possible to see you and the car at a CCC rally later this year? Regards, Matthew T.
1989 V6 Exclusive (Poland car) - Now living in a local Motor Museum!
1990 V6sei auto (grey auto)
1990 V6sei manual (gold car)
1990 V6.24 Pallas (Germany car)
1990 V6.24v (Scotland car)
Other previous XM sold and broken too many to mention!

White Exec
Citroen God!
Orga / RP numbers: RP7165
1996 2.5TD saloon, Exclusive, Polar White
1992 BX19D Millesime, Sable Phenicien
Location: ex-Ealing, Cheshire, W.Sussex & Surrey. Now living in Sayalonga (Malaga, Spain)

Post by White Exec » Sat May 14, 2016 7:37 am

Would love to put ours on a track sometime, preferably in the dry! Great photos.
Last time I did anything like that was with our P6 3500S on Kent Constabulary's skidpan at West Malling - most instructive.
Chris
1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive RP7165 Polar White
1992 BX19D Millesime RP5800 Sable
1989 BX19RD Delage Red Deceased; 1998 ZX 1.9D Avantage auto Triton Green Company car 1998..2001; 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto Wicked Red Company car 2001..2003

jamesnoble

Post by jamesnoble » Sat May 14, 2016 7:59 am

Dieselman wrote:How did it perform?
Bearing in mind she is completely standard from an engineering point of view and will remain that way (certainly until the gearbox expires in another 60K at which point I am toying with the idea of putting in the later 210KW ES9 with the 6 speed tiptronic box), she was fast smooth and very controllable. My good friend and instructor Darren Langeveld advised I leave the suspension in soft as you want more compliance in the wet. You could therefore feel hydractive doing its thing which was superb. I drove a series 2 XM round the Millbrooke proving ground when it was launched (a 2.5TD) and this felt every bit as good but even quicker.

Which is as you'd expect really...
Previous Citroens: C6 V6 Exclusive Petrol, XM V6 SEi Man, XM V6 Exclusive Auto ZPJ, BX14, 2CV Dolly, Visa "Van Rouge", CX 25 RI Familiale

jamesnoble

Post by jamesnoble » Sat May 14, 2016 8:15 am

citroenxm wrote:Never mind the track day, the fitment of S1 Dash into an S2 car is just outright PERFECT and makes a better S2 car.

Did the heater box need swapping at all?? Or does the S1 dash fit straight in??

!
Fitting the dash was the hardest part. The good news is that there is no difference between the series 1 and series heater boxes! The extra ductwork for the increased height of the Series 2 centre vents is all part of the revised dash assembly. Even more surprising is that the heater control panel is also identical internally which means that you can plug the series 1 item into the series 2 wiring and it all works perfectly with no mods. The series 1 dash will accept series 2 instruments, warning light and display clusters with no issues.

There were only 2 hurdles: The wiring looms are rooted differently in the series 1 and 2. The series 2 dash is taller and so the wiring is rooted on top of the steel sub assembly. I therefore had to get the wiring to sit flatter against the frame and also remove the corner of the underside of the well for the instruments to clear the wiring and also slightly modify the brackets under the glovebox to get it to fit. the other hurdle was extending the wires for the switches and splicing in the series 1 switch plugs. But the entire job was done in a weekend, from start to finish. :)

Also the door trims are a straight swap but interestingly they are massively different in design which is strange bearing in mind they look so similar. The only that is the same is the door pull/armrest/pocket assembly.

The final thing I want to do is swap the seat covers fro the series 1 set I have in the garage as the late series 2 seats are only leather faced (the sides and back are nasty vinyl), whereas all series 1 leather is full leather (front back and sides), as is the early series 2.

jamesnoble

Post by jamesnoble » Sat May 14, 2016 8:18 am

MTXM wrote:That is certainly an interesting hybrid James and well done for completing the project. Hopefully it may be possible to see you and the car at a CCC rally later this year? Regards, Matthew T.
I will probably be in the CX at the CCC national

However the XM will be at the show I organise: Coventry MotoFest http://www.coventrymotofest.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; on the 4th and 5th June.

Dieselman
Global Moderator

Post by Dieselman » Sat May 14, 2016 3:22 pm

jamesnoble wrote:
MTXM wrote:That is certainly an interesting hybrid James and well done for completing the project. Hopefully it may be possible to see you and the car at a CCC rally later this year? Regards, Matthew T.
I will probably be in the CX at the CCC national

However the XM will be at the show I organise: Coventry MotoFest http://www.coventrymotofest.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; on the 4th and 5th June.
I might try an pop along to that. I'll give you a nudge in advance if so.

Do you have space for any other old Citroens?
92 2.1SED M.RP5740 ECZ Sable Phenicien
92 3.0 V6-24.Rp 5713 EXY Black
92 2.1SD M.RP 5685 ENT Blue Sideral
Prev
90 2.1SD M.RP 5049 EJV Mandarin
92 2.1SD A.RP 5698 EJV Mandarin
94 2.1SD A.RP 6218 ERT Triton Green
91 2.0SI M.RP 5187 EWT White

jamesnoble

Post by jamesnoble » Sat May 14, 2016 4:00 pm

Dieselman wrote: I might try an pop along to that. I'll give you a nudge in advance if so.

Do you have space for any other old Citroens?
If its over 20 years old you can book as many as you like for free and you also get to take part in the classic car and bike parade on the closed road circuit at the end of each day. You will need separate bookings for each day. The more Citroens the better, after all Coventry is Citroen UK's home these days.

https://coventrymotofest.com/content/register-display" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;