Looking to buy another

The place to show off and tell us all about your XMs (or even other cars). Should it be a big project, or just some general pics, start your thread in here.
Rojekti
Knows how to use the parking brake

Looking to buy another

Post by Rojekti » Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:50 pm

Hello again, i'm thinking about buying another XM. To have two and use the second as a spare parts car. It has couple problems with it, biggest problem being bunch of wires have burned a bit on top of the engine. That happened because of a lambda sensor that cancelled it's contract.

The one I'm looking at currently is '92, 2.0 with automatic gear box and 318k kilometers. It originates from Sweden. The owner didn't seem to be sure of it's model and I'm planning a trip to visit the car tonight. He's not even sure whether it's 8V or 16V and I'm not any better at it throught the pictures.

Any ideas what to look or think? Thanks.

Edit. I'm thinking about going daily with XM. I dont have to drive to work, only gotta go grocery store and visit relatives. I have space to do some fixing by myself. That's why I think owning two would become handy over the time. Does any1 do anything like this? I'm not into buying a new car; I could afford to have a small, new car, but I there's many things I dont like about that. Can anyone say XM is, in the end, a quality car and relatively reliable when taken good care of? If you compare it to another older car, would you say it's more expensive to keep, or just way different?
XM 1990, 2.0i 8V, manual (important: black leather and wood in interior)

MTXM
Citroen God!

Re: Looking to buy another

Post by MTXM » Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:22 pm

Hi Rojeki,
I own and run a series of S1 V6 XM as daily drives and I certainly find the cars reliable once initial glitches have been sorted. I also undertake most work myself and luckily have quite a significant number of spares, due to earlier dismantled models and other expendables accumulated along the way. There is certainly nothing to match the comfort, convenience and character of the XM, which is more than worth the effort to keep on the road.
With regards,
Matthew T.
1989 V6 Exclusive (Poland car) - Now living in a local Motor Museum!
1990 V6sei auto (grey auto)
1990 V6sei manual (gold car)
1990 V6.24 Pallas (Germany car)
1990 V6.24v (Scotland car)
Other previous XM sold and broken too many to mention!

Rojekti

Post by Rojekti » Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:30 pm

MTXM wrote:Hi Rojeki,
I own and run a series of S1 V6 XM as daily drives and I certainly find the cars reliable once initial glitches have been sorted. I also undertake most work myself and luckily have quite a significant number of spares, due to earlier dismantled models and other expendables accumulated along the way. There is certainly nothing to match the comfort, convenience and character of the XM, which is more than worth the effort to keep on the road.
With regards,
Matthew T.
Thanks for reply. Sounds great the thing you do. What can you say about reliability of the automatic gear boxes?

I have thought many times, "maybe I just buy a less used and a bit newer car", but I always end up thinking that well there are always the same problems coming up, whether it was a newer or an older car. Only thing that doesn't get replaced with a spare part throught the years, are the engines, the hull, majority of elecricity and the gear box. Which is why I'm asking about the automatic gear box. Is it way more trouble than a manual? What would you say about an XM with 320tkm and an automatic gear box, would you except trouble with it?

MTXM
Citroen God!

Post by MTXM » Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:13 pm

The ZF HP18 box is not very reliable in the V6 sadly Rojeki and one of mine has recently been rebuilt with the other awaiting attention. The lower powered petrol and diesel engines appear to fare better provided that regular oil changes are given. Regards, Matthew T.
1989 V6 Exclusive (Poland car) - Now living in a local Motor Museum!
1990 V6sei auto (grey auto)
1990 V6sei manual (gold car)
1990 V6.24 Pallas (Germany car)
1990 V6.24v (Scotland car)
Other previous XM sold and broken too many to mention!

Dieselman
Global Moderator

Post by Dieselman » Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:56 pm

Rojekti wrote: The one I'm looking at currently is '92, 2.0 with automatic gear box and 318k kilometers. It originates from Sweden. The owner didn't seem to be sure of it's model and I'm planning a trip to visit the car tonight. He's not even sure whether it's 8V or 16V and I'm not any better at it throught the pictures.
It must be an 8v model, but could be a Turbo.
92 2.1SED M.RP5740 ECZ Sable Phenicien
92 3.0 V6-24.Rp 5713 EXY Black
92 2.1SD M.RP 5685 ENT Blue Sideral
Prev
90 2.1SD M.RP 5049 EJV Mandarin
92 2.1SD A.RP 5698 EJV Mandarin
94 2.1SD A.RP 6218 ERT Triton Green
91 2.0SI M.RP 5187 EWT White

misha
Citroen go-to-guy

Post by misha » Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:50 pm

Series one 2.0 were all with 8v engines.
16v came in series 2.
'91 Citroen XM 2.0 SI /130hp/ Rp5315 /mandarine red metallic /
'97 Volvo 850 2.5 20v/fully equipped/motronic 4.4/polar white wagon

Rojekti

Post by Rojekti » Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:56 pm

It was 8V (as misha pointed, it had to be :D ), very sluggish engine and gears acted very oddly. This was not a good piece of XM, I just had to abondon it. Rust everywhere, broken mirrors, weird wirings under cover and so on. Better luck next time.

Jan-hendrik
XM Guru

Post by Jan-hendrik » Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:56 am

What would you say about an XM with 320tkm and an automatic gear box, would you except (expect) trouble with it?
I certainly would and not only with an XM but with just about any automobile. But I see now you've already wisely abandoned sa(i)d adventure :D
2000 XM 3.0 V6 24v Exclusive Auto Vert Vega - 86k km LHD RP8569

Rojekti

Post by Rojekti » Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:28 am

Jan-hendrik wrote:
What would you say about an XM with 320tkm and an automatic gear box, would you except (expect) trouble with it?
I certainly would and not only with an XM but with just about any automobile. But I see now you've already wisely abandoned sa(i)d adventure :D
The visit to the XM was very educating indeed, just the overall feeling of the car made me like my own so much more. I realized the piece I have in the barn (it's next to a sugar beet harvester) is amazingly well kept car.

I kind of a decided to keep it well, collect some money to make an overhaul for it at some point. Meanwhile, we'll just search a cheap and reliable semi-modern small car for our weekly needs.