K725KVG latest home -KVG gone; Hello to KBAN-

The place to show off and tell us all about your XMs (or even other cars). Should it be a big project, or just some general pics, start your thread in here.
miq
Knows how to use the parking brake

Re: K725KVG latest home

Post by miq » Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:58 pm

As I sad I honestly can't feel a difference, or at least I didn't driving back from Leeds at 11pm yesterday, perhaps because the chrome inside was originally good but dull as it had lots of very light dust on top!

I'm used to my old Uno anyway which is as good as using some candles :p

xmexclusive
Global Moderator

Post by xmexclusive » Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:41 am

No mention of the Dip Headlamp diverter lenses.
Have they been removed?

John

miq

Post by miq » Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:48 am

no, they haven't even been touched, just cleaned as they were again a bit faded!

miq

Post by miq » Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:30 am

Hi all,

It's been a quiet XM week as I decided to swap cars and keep her garaged. In any case, the next three weeks are XM weeks 8-)

It's developed a few electrical gremlins, the most annoying one the lack of horn. I've been going through some forum posts where people had had similar issues, but so far I haven't been able to sort it. The fuse is ok and I believe the horn has no relay on these cars. I disconnected the multipin plug and I was surprised to see how rusty it all was inside, I think that water has been leaking through the cracked plastic gaiter on the plug. Cleaned it all, put it back together and now the high beam is not temperamental anymore which is good, however, the horns are still KO.

Next I suppose I will have to check the wiring that goes to them as someone has been there before and there are several aftermarket clips and connectors, so a ground may have come loose or something on those lines.

I also want to get the last gremlin sorted, which is the thermocouple in the mirror. Are mirrors easy to take to bits without risking breaking plastic trim? I think that the cable goes into the door, so chances are I need to take the door card off first.

Regards,

Miq.

xmexclusive
Global Moderator

Post by xmexclusive » Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:12 pm

Remove the mirror glass.
Cut wires and solder in the replacement sensor.
Same sensors used in a wide range of PSA cars.

John

miq

Post by miq » Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:38 pm

Brilliant thanks John. Will try this one: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PEUGEOT-207-3 ... Sw8oFXzAKb

xmexclusive
Global Moderator

Post by xmexclusive » Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:30 pm

That sensor should be fine.
The mirror has a spring clip, release loop found centre bottom of glass.
Sensor in passenger side mirror.
Couple the new sensor in over length with "chock block" first and check temperature.
This will confirm the problem was the sensor.
Then solder in and insulate with shrink wrap.
If there is still a problem check the wire connectors in the door connector flexy.
Known place of contact corrosion.

Just a general note to save early XM owners trouble.
This outside temperature sensor was positioned in the front bumper air intake on the first XM's.

John

Dieselman
Global Moderator

Post by Dieselman » Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:46 pm

The horns are favourite for collecting water and rusting internally along with the connectors to them corroding. Try taking the horns off and bashing them on the ground to free them off. It sounds brutal, but does sometimes work.
92 2.1SED M.RP5740 ECZ Sable Phenicien
92 3.0 V6-24.Rp 5713 EXY Black
92 2.1SD M.RP 5685 ENT Blue Sideral
Prev
90 2.1SD M.RP 5049 EJV Mandarin
92 2.1SD A.RP 5698 EJV Mandarin
94 2.1SD A.RP 6218 ERT Triton Green
91 2.0SI M.RP 5187 EWT White

miq

Post by miq » Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:01 pm

Thanks all for the replies. I will have a go at the horns in the morning.

On different news I received the exterior temperature sensor and changed it. Pretty simple procedure really, the only bits where one has to be careful is removing the clip from under the mirror and assemblying it back, as you have to push firmly without fearing breaking the mirror. Also, the cables for the old sensor are not very long in the mirror, so you'd better be relatively ok soldering on a confined space. Rather than that all very simple, and the pug sensor is identical and a perfect fit.

Proudest moment ever :)

Aha on a different note I had a significant diesel leak when I got to Brunel the other day...turns out the small (I assume return) diesel pipe from the last plug cracked and came off. Emergency intake take to bits and a few minutes later all was ok again. Do these small pipes have some sort of jubilee clip or cable ties? I am amazed that they are just inserted in position with no other means of support...

Regards,

Miq.

xmexclusive
Global Moderator

Post by xmexclusive » Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:25 pm

They are just a tight push fit.
With age they harden and crack so have a look at the others and the rubber end stop.

John