RP4937 2.1SED Manual, now in my clutches

The place to show off and tell us all about your XMs (or even other cars). Should it be a big project, or just some general pics, start your thread in here.
Julianw
Has changed a sphere or two
Orga / RP numbers: 4937

RP4937 2.1SED Manual, now in my clutches

Post by Julianw » Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:03 am

Hi all

I bought James Carruthers' Delage red SED a few weeks ago, and I'm very pleased with it too. I started a To Do list almost straight away though, to try and keep up the momentum that James had for sorting the car out. For the moment, this has been limited to:

Learning how the headlights work while returning them to white bulbs and sorting the adjusters (I liked the idea of the yellow lamp French look, but my night vision is rubbish so I'm trying to get them as bright and well-aligned as I can - I've been reading the various threads and posts on lamp upgrades with interest)

New brake pads and fitting kits for the front. I suspect I will be throwing new calipers in before too long though, there seems to be a bit of slop in the sliders and the old pads that came out were very unevenly worn... I've also been looking very sternly at the gap where an ABS sensor should be, willing one to appear. It hasn't happened yet, but I'm going to keep trying!

Finding out why the driver's seat height adjust didn't - this was mostly due to a crack in a part of the seat subframe, which I've welded up today. Whether my welding is strong enough to stop it failing again remains to be seen

Sorting the screen wash which wasn't doing anything. It turns out the pump was healthy - so healthy in fact that the union in the tubing (that I suspect used to hold a non-return valve) was blowing apart at first use after I reconnected it, shooting the fluid straight into the gutter. I've pushed the connector back together and I think it's now properly engaged, but I've bought a generic non-return valve anyway to see if that will fit.

New wiper blades - though these are not wiping much faster than the old ones. Is the motor a bit tired? I've tried to get some lube on to the linkages without much improvement. However, the battery seems a bit tired - only 12.8v when I tested it and after the extensive seat adjusting/courtesy lights and puddle lights on/headlight alignment work, I've knocked it down to 11.8v, so I've taken it out and put it on charge.

Attending to a leak in the turbo intake pipe - where the rubber pipe from the airbox meets the plastic pipe, the jubilee clip was overtight and had crushed the plastic pipe, putting a fold into it. I'm experimenting with a large inverted jubilee clip INSIDE the plastic pipe, expanded to help the pipe hold it's circular bore against the outer jubilee clip. Please join me in praying that my bodge never advances down the pipe to the turbo...

And most recently was one of the rear doors that doesn't lock and unlock properly. The door card came off ok, but I was somewhat thwarted by the moisture guard - it's a foam sheet rather than DPM and it really doesn't want to give up its grip on the door - previous visitors to this area have just cut flaps in this sheet to gain access to the inners, so I followed suit and liberally dosed everything I could identify inside as a linkage with spray grease.

Work in progress is the nosecone - I want to know if a bit of T-cut and then lots of wax will restore it again to shininess as James previously achieved with other panels. So it's off the car and tucked in beside the fridge in the kitchen, waiting for the wife to leave for a winter spa break, when I can turn the kitchen again into a warm workshop... images/icons/smile/mrgreen.gif" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Updates as and when I can...

cxprestigeauto
Citroen go-to-guy

Re: RP4937 2.1SED Manual, now in my clutches

Post by cxprestigeauto » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:19 am

Sounds like you have been busy doing the usual XM annoying things (i.e. Just about anything that can go wrong, going wrong at random points!)
The windscreen washer on mine packed up yesterday just before a planned trip to Wales (fortunately the Volvo proved a more reliable if somewhat dull replacement). Like you the pump is whirring away but nothing is coming out of the jets, unlike yours I cannot find any evidence of water coming out elsewhere. More investigation needed.
Anyway enough of my XM woes! Good luck with yours especially with the ABS.
The door liners are great in the factory but totally pants after that. My 'fix' is to cut the hole to access what you need, then I use contact adhesive to spray a piece of heavy cloth (old jeans are good) and a similar coat of contact adhesive on the liner. Wait a few minutes for the glues to do its bit and cover the hole. The coating of contact adhesive on the material waterproofs it on the inside and the fabric seems to bond well with the foam.

Rob
1991 XM 2.0 Si auto RP 4903 (12 April 1990) Alpine White
2019 Suzuki Vitara AllGrip SZ5 Automatic 1.4 BoosterJet. White
1972 Banham Sprint kit car (Frogeye Sprite replica, really a Mini!)

russ92xmsed
Global Moderator

Post by russ92xmsed » Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:38 pm

Excellent stuff. Good to hear it's in safe hands...keep up the good work. Sounds like you have a good plan of action.
Russ

1992 K reg XM 2.1 Auto SED RP 5712
1992 K reg XM 2.1 Auto SED RP 5705 (D)
Also
2003 C5 2.2 HDI Exclusive

I sell Engine bay, 1990 COTY, Total & Club XM Sticker Decals
http://www.rjwcreativedesign.co.uk

citroenxm
Global Moderator

Post by citroenxm » Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:52 pm

The wiper motor is powered by an extension of the main harness which comes in on the passenger side. If you remove the water drain tray that sits over the blower air intake - after removing the black scuttle trim .. you will see a white 5 way connector.. this is power to the motor.. try cleaning that connection up.. other wise another motor..
Your car (Ps it was under my care before James had it for 8 years) uses earlyer bendix sensors.. what i call a slim body sensor. I might be able to find one. May be worth checking all the other sensors incase two are needed. Did james find an abs ecu or is it still missing?
I should also be able to find an r12 air con compressor apparently james had it gassed but it leaked from the compressor. I broke an sed last year infact your cars sister w9th the same rp number if i remember rightly..
Projects:(eventually if theres any bodywork left)
93 L Xm 2.1t D auto project
93 L xm V6 12v Sei Manual

Others
In use.. 1995 M reg S2 2.1td auto exclusive

jamescarruthers
Orga / RP numbers: 1990 2.1 TD SED manual hatch Rouge Delage RP4937

Post by jamescarruthers » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:36 pm

I am really, really pleased to hear that you have gotten started with the car and had some great successes with the car Julian!

Regards the paint, I have had the whole car machine mopped at work. The dull panels, I am told, are unpolishable, after much elbow grease from the painter. The rest of the car came up a treat though. The painted at work said it might have had cheap cellulose paint at some point in its life, probably many years ago, even before Paul/Rob's time with it. It does not last like the original factory stuff.

Delighted a fresh pair of eyes have found the turbo boost leak (does it go any better low down now?), fixed the seat and the bloody washers.

Regarding the rear door, it had months working then a few days off, then back to working again. Remember when re-installing, to push down the interior locking button only when the door is locked! Top tip i learned on here somewhere!

Best of luck with the car. i will did out the rear tweeter mounts for you and the manual boost controller and try and get them in the post this week. I take it you now have the V5?
1987 Volvo 480 ES
2006 Citroen C6 Exclusive 3.0 petrol/LPG

Previous XMs:
H656 BKJ XM 2.1 SED

Julianw
Orga / RP numbers: 4937

Post by Julianw » Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:27 pm

Thanks all, for both pearls of wisdom, words of encouragement and offers of parts. I'll get on the wiper connector, ABS sensors and ECU in the next few days and update - I can't remember what James said about the ECU. I started looking for another source for the early Bendix sensor even before I'd picked the car up from James, but they really are made of unobtainium.... I looked at the o/s/f sensor and while that looks ok (I haven't got to testing its output yet), the rotor is not in good shape. The one at n/s/f is so much better defined, but has no sensor. How tolerant of corrosion/erosion is the rotor/sensitivity of the sensor?
citroenxm wrote:I broke an sed last year infact your cars sister w9th the same rp number if i remember rightly..
Whoa! Wind that back! I thought the RP number was unique to the car. No? It just identifies the day/week/month that the car left the production line?

Yes, I now have the V5. But I haven't driven it since I closed up the turbo leak so i can't comment if there's more low end torque - I didn't think it was lacking anyway - whenever I've poked it on the motorway in 5th for 50-70, it seemed fine, so that might be a nice bonus!

I'll not waste any more energy or risk wearing off any more top coat, if you've already had it mopped, James! It is most odd, but a fellow Citroen botherer said he's had more than one instance of this on other models of about the same year - right at the swage line - high gloss above, no lustre at all below. Very odd.

That explains why I struggled so much with the rear door card - I didn't get it fitted over the door capping properly at the last attempt, so I'll take that knowledge and apply it when I try to refit. Ta!

It's been fully up and down while I've been working on the front brakes, but I noticed a load of clanking from beneath when it pumped from fully down to the high setting - I'm guessing I need to be looking for a hydraulic pipe that's broken free underneath and vibrates when the pump is working at full tilt...?

And, last question for the moment: where is the external temperature sensor? The RH display just flashes the four bars next to degC. I've spotted some connectors around - one in particular behind the n/s headlight - that is disconnected and wondered if this was related.

Thanks again all

Dieselman
Global Moderator

Post by Dieselman » Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:54 pm

The ambient temp sensor should be on the underside of the L/h door mirror, but very early cars had them mounted on the lower front grill slat, so check there if not in the mirror housing.
92 2.1SED M.RP5740 ECZ Sable Phenicien
92 3.0 V6-24.Rp 5713 EXY Black
92 2.1SD M.RP 5685 ENT Blue Sideral
Prev
90 2.1SD M.RP 5049 EJV Mandarin
92 2.1SD A.RP 5698 EJV Mandarin
94 2.1SD A.RP 6218 ERT Triton Green
91 2.0SI M.RP 5187 EWT White

White Exec
Citroen God!
Orga / RP numbers: RP7165
1996 2.5TD saloon, Exclusive, Polar White
1992 BX19D Millesime, Sable Phenicien
Location: ex-Ealing, Cheshire, W.Sussex & Surrey. Now living in Sayalonga (Malaga, Spain)

Post by White Exec » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:51 pm

RP number fixes the day the car left the factory. Only the VIN is unique.
Google Citroen RP decoder to find one of the many sites where you can input either date or number.
Chris
1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive RP7165 Polar White
1992 BX19D Millesime RP5800 Sable
1989 BX19RD Delage Red Deceased; 1998 ZX 1.9D Avantage auto Triton Green Company car 1998..2001; 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto Wicked Red Company car 2001..2003

cxprestigeauto
Citroen go-to-guy

Post by cxprestigeauto » Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:01 am

Your RP is only slightly later than mine. The temp sensor is under the N/S headlight. The good news is that the 'new' style sensor is the same as the 'old' style sensor! Readily available off EBay.

Rob
1991 XM 2.0 Si auto RP 4903 (12 April 1990) Alpine White
2019 Suzuki Vitara AllGrip SZ5 Automatic 1.4 BoosterJet. White
1972 Banham Sprint kit car (Frogeye Sprite replica, really a Mini!)

citroenxm
Global Moderator

Post by citroenxm » Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:17 pm

Some are further down and in the grill near the passenger fog lamp unit iirc...
Projects:(eventually if theres any bodywork left)
93 L Xm 2.1t D auto project
93 L xm V6 12v Sei Manual

Others
In use.. 1995 M reg S2 2.1td auto exclusive