My s1 diesel

The place to show off and tell us all about your XMs (or even other cars). Should it be a big project, or just some general pics, start your thread in here.
Mike_NI
Can find the S1 radio

My s1 diesel

Post by Mike_NI » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:40 am

So its been almost a year since I bought Jonathan_dyane's old XM and brought it over to Belfast.

I am reasonably active on Autoshite.com but thought it only fair to update over here as well, especially as I have had some help with you guys - notably being supplied a decent used coolant pipe from "Citroenxm", without this I would have struggled.

Its a lot of faffing to copy all the stuff over, and I'm lazy so link to the collection thread here http://autoshite.com/topic/25660-my-fle ... =carashite" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And I'll do an "executive summary" (its an executive car after all!) on the next post.....

raynoon
Could do a 2.1 headgasket
Orga / RP numbers: 6043

Re: My s1 diesel

Post by raynoon » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:56 am

Clicked the link.... and WOW! My (ex) KVG in Practical Classics... I sold her a few months after that article was published..

Looking forward to reading your next post.
1993 Citroen XM 2.1 turboSD auto
1995 Citroen XM 2.1TD Auto EXCLUSIVE

Mike_NI
Can find the S1 radio

Post by Mike_NI » Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:18 am

So in anticipation of collecting the citroen, I bought some essential reading

This was my first view of the beast

On to fixing things. The most important bit was the coolant pipe. Access wasnt great. Many parts were removed

The culprit

Off the car....yay....but where is the rest of it?

Part of the pipe stayed in the thermostat housing. This was a pain but gently cutting a slit along its length allowed me to prise the remains up and out.

Next was fitting my new rad, bought on amazon for £12. The one in the car wasnt leaking but was from the wrong model and didnt have a boss for the temperature sensor. The fans had been hard wired to run constantly.

Bit of a bodge required here

Then the fans wouldnt work......traced this to intermittent fault with the relays, all good after that sorted...

Next on the list was replacing the dodgy high pressure pump. It was rattling like a bastard and the steering was terrible. I had by chance bought a cheap one on ebay (£30!) for parts but thought I would give it a try before attempting to strip the old one

It only worked! Took an age to bleed the LHM but now we have silky smooth steering and suspension that raises promptly on startup.

After all that and a couple of tyres she passed her first Northern Irish MOT.

More to follow.....

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

Mike_NI
Can find the S1 radio

Post by Mike_NI » Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:23 am

So recently I done some towing, a mate bought an old caravan and has no towbar, so I offered to do some collectioning. Of course it rained. Have a video:

https://youtu.be/poZcNgMK7XE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This proved the XM is ready to tow, bar a bit of a hot oil smell during one climb the temperature stayed stable and no oil, coolant or LHM was used.

We are going to drag our own terrible old caravan out of storage for an overnight this weekend. In preparation ive bought a shonky old CD player off ebay. So far I have removed the tape player and discovered MANY WIRES

What is this?

Two antenna cables?

Must consult the HBOL....

Last edited by Mike_NI on Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

Mike_NI
Can find the S1 radio

Post by Mike_NI » Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:25 am

Recent adventures in caravan collectioning reminded me I really needed to sort my own van out. But before all that some battery bollocks - the XM does sit for long periods and I'm lazy so only charge the battery when I remember. To compound things something deep in the bowels of its French wiring is slowly draining the battery.
Rather than trace the drain I just bought an isolating terminal switch.

HOWEVER the negative terminal was bodged onto the existing battery as it appears to be too big. Meaning it slips off the isolation jobbie when fully tightened. Bugger.

So I just put it back the way it was. At some point I'll get a suitable terminal.

And onwards to caravan storage. God I'm bringing down the tone aren't I?

Its a Swift Corvette of 1989 vintage so period correct for the car. It was also bloody filthy

"We advise the public not to approach this outfit"

Anyways a good couple of hours washing the bastard thing and it looks OK again. I even managed an EBAY special photo of its magnificence

I'm not sure either

Still much to do. Some twat nicked my wheel trims. Fuck knows why, they were mismatched cracked cheap ass aftermarket specials. Unless someone was just really offended by them and binned them for me. Anyhow I plan on painting my phat rimz. Unsure on colour. Perhaps white, most likely resale silver but I have had a stirring for a nice bottle green to match the side stripes....

Anyway its back in storage for now. Isnt she a looker etc etc

And another spaff worthy picture of the XM for shits and giggles

Theres some really fucked looking caravans in that storage place. This one isnt even that old.

White Exec
Citroen God!
Orga / RP numbers: RP7165
1996 2.5TD saloon, Exclusive, Polar White
1992 BX19D Millesime, Sable Phenicien
Location: ex-Ealing, Cheshire, W.Sussex & Surrey. Now living in Sayalonga (Malaga, Spain)

Post by White Exec » Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:23 am

Some great pix and details there, Mike.
Bargain radiator, and Valeo too.
Liked the AS link to Citroen-Musik!

We towed a Swift Corniche for a good few years with our 2.5, all over UK and mainland Europe. What better to tow with?

That battery terminal looks dire, especially on a diesel: treat yourself to a brass pair, and dump the lead (Pb) lumps.
You should be able to track down the current drain - check out Gabor's list of typical XM quiescent currents here (see p.28):
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=7592&start=20#p104621.
Chris
1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive RP7165 Polar White
1992 BX19D Millesime RP5800 Sable
1989 BX19RD Delage Red Deceased; 1998 ZX 1.9D Avantage auto Triton Green Company car 1998..2001; 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto Wicked Red Company car 2001..2003

citroenxm
Global Moderator

Post by citroenxm » Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:58 pm

The twin aireal cables were dropped from s2 cars.. not sure why s1 had them.. the round 5 pin din is for the steering wheel radio controls.. pry out the sterring wheel boss and see if theres wires behind there if theres no button on your wheel centre..
Projects:(eventually if theres any bodywork left)
93 L Xm 2.1t D auto project
93 L xm V6 12v Sei Manual

Others
In use.. 1995 M reg S2 2.1td auto exclusive

xantia_v6
XM Guru

Post by xantia_v6 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:30 pm

citroenxm wrote:The twin aireal cables were dropped from s2 cars.. not sure why s1 had them..
I have never seen a car with the twin-aerial cables, but I know the theory.

It is practically impossible to make an aerial cable that works efficiently for both FM (VHF) signals and AM (MW/LW) signals, due to the change in antenna impedance with frequency. The antenna cables fitted to most cars now are more optimised for VHF, so the MW/LW performance is lousy. Having 2 cables with a passive diplexer at the antenna base allows everything to be optimised.

Xantia Exclusives (and I presume the S2 XM) solved the problem in a different way, by having a single cable optimised for FM, but adding an active preamplifier at the antenna base to boost the LW/MW signals.
1999 XM Exclusive V6 24V ES9 Manual (LHD) 105,000 km
1997 Xantia Exclusive V6 (RHD) 45,000 miles

Mike_NI
Can find the S1 radio

Post by Mike_NI » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:51 am

I thought it prudent to leave a list of to-do items here. Its by no means exhaustive and will get added to

Stop sunroof leaking. When I bought the car the sunroof was sealed with tape, this kept the car waterproof but I wanted to be able to use the sunroof.

Fix central locking. Sometimes you cant lock the car at all

Obtain a second key, only having one makes me nervous!

Passenger front window doesnt work. It did when I got the car, albeit very very slowly. Doesnt work at all now

Find the following trim bits:
* both front door lock buttons/pins
* replacement height control lever, the top has snapped off (could just pin it and glue it)
* rear drivers side door cubby hole lid

Apart from that I have a CD player to fit, then the interior needs a real deep clean. Ill probably get some tailered car mats, it has genuine citroen rubber ones but they are a bit worn

raynoon
Could do a 2.1 headgasket
Orga / RP numbers: 6043

Post by raynoon » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:17 am

You could fit an aftermarket central locking kit, there is a 'how to' in the self help files. It's fairly easy to do and would probably cross 3 items of your list
1993 Citroen XM 2.1 turboSD auto
1995 Citroen XM 2.1TD Auto EXCLUSIVE