sageman's 'barn find' v6 sei s1

The place to show off and tell us all about your XMs (or even other cars). Should it be a big project, or just some general pics, start your thread in here.
Dean
Global Moderator

Re: sageman's 'barn find' v6 sei s1

Post by Dean » Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:08 pm

sageman wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:22 pm
ahh the 3in1 of corse

what grade oil should i use and what would you say to useing something slightly thinner to get into blocked galleries until its on the road
and while im thinking of oil wheres the filter cant say ive noticed it but ive not been looking
10W 40 is the stuff, you -could drop a cup of diesel in then run it up to temperature at idle, then do the oil change.

D
92 Citroen XM Prestige 3.0i Auto R.P5678
14 Mitsubishi L200 Trojan
89 Talbot Express 2.0 coach built Auto-trail Chinook

Addicted to Crackanory

sageman
Knows how to use the parking brake

Post by sageman » Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:54 pm

Might be able to get it started tomorrow freed off the throttle body today although the hydrolic strut thing seems broken (what is it a damper perhaps) and there’s a bearing attached to the butterfly arm that run in a little channel (hope you v6 guys know what I mean)
That’s sized so throttle isn’t perfect but good enough for the time being
1976 Reliant kitten
1985 Reliant fox Tandy campervan
1998 Peugeot 306 GTI-6
h̶o̶p̶e̶f̶u̶l̶l̶y̶ ̶a̶n̶ ̶X̶M̶ ̶o̶n̶e̶ ̶d̶a̶y̶
1993 XM sei V6 RP 5876

Dean
Global Moderator

Post by Dean » Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:11 pm

Is the "strut" the vacuum servo for the cruise control? I take it that being top spec it has cruise? The throttle linkage setup I a bit odd as its set up to give exponential throttle plate movement as you depress the pedal, a lot of pedal movement for not much butterfly movement for the first 1/4 of its travel and then ever increasing butterfly movement for a given pedal movement the further the throttle opens. Good luck starting it, by the sounds of it she should run fine.

Addicted to Crackanory

sageman

Post by sageman » Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:27 pm

No cruse I’m told only autos came with it on s1 cars
I’m hoping it can be retro fitted but that’s for another time
1976 Reliant kitten
1998 Peugeot 306 GTI-6
1993 XM sei V6 RP 5876

sageman

Post by sageman » Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:32 pm

today went well would rarther it gone better though but never mind

it started up fine some stumbling for about 10 seconds but after that nothing

the pump drained the LHM tank into the system until it was running on whatever fluid was returning and diddnt pressureise (presumably because lack of fluid)
also the pressure regulator seems to be leaking from the bottom even before i started the car

i cant feel any dampness from around the pipes and its not from the bottom bolt as thats 'downhill' from where you can see the drips coming from
strangely the drips stopped once the pump started pumping
also the idle control must be stuck i unplugged it but it still idled very high

those clips are they ok to be replaced with normal juberlee clips
1976 Reliant kitten
1998 Peugeot 306 GTI-6
1993 XM sei V6 RP 5876

jamescarruthers
Has changed a sphere or two
Orga / RP numbers: 1990 2.1 TD SED manual hatch Rouge Delage RP4937

Post by jamescarruthers » Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:51 pm

Well done. Doing similar to you recently, I can recommend having the fuel injectors and idle bypass valve ultrasonically cleaned. I found a local guy and begged for a same day service due to rescuing an old car-- they obliged as it probably sounded more interesting to the usual stuff. Plus completely fresh petrol in the tank with the line to the engine bay flushed through with fresh petrol so as to avoid putting any old gunk in to your nice new injectors.
1987 Volvo 480 ES
2006 Citroen C6 Exclusive 3.0 petrol/LPG

Previous XMs:
H656 BKJ XM 2.1 SED

Dean
Global Moderator

Post by Dean » Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:23 pm

yep, you can replace those clips with standard jubilee ones, good luck getting to the bottom one, its a pain to access.

That leak looks like it is the end plug of the pressure regulator to me. You may need to prime the pump if it has sucked itself dry, should pressurise up fine i would think, did the orange disc drop in the sight glass on the LHM tank while it was running?

D

Addicted to Crackanory

Dean
Global Moderator

Post by Dean » Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:24 pm

jamescarruthers wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:51 pm
Well done. Doing similar to you recently, I can recommend having the fuel injectors and idle bypass valve ultrasonically cleaned. I found a local guy and begged for a same day service due to rescuing an old car-- they obliged as it probably sounded more interesting to the usual stuff. Plus completely fresh petrol in the tank with the line to the engine bay flushed through with fresh petrol so as to avoid putting any old gunk in to your nice new injectors.
Have you rescued something interesting?

D

Addicted to Crackanory

sageman

Post by sageman » Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:54 pm

Dean wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:23 pm
yep, you can replace those clips with standard jubilee ones, good luck getting to the bottom one, its a pain to access.

That leak looks like it is the end plug of the pressure regulator to me. You may need to prime the pump if it has sucked itself dry, should pressurise up fine i would think, did the orange disc drop in the sight glass on the LHM tank while it was running?

D
not the end plug as its lower than where its dripping which is from the bracket (which is higher up
far as i can see the returning fluid is only just enough to keep pumping and full of air

i put a litre in before i started the car and the disk was a little below the bottom mark and i had no low fluid messages in the car

after the pump primed it dropped to the bottom and i started getting low fluid messages as well as low preasure messages before it primed i only got low preasure messages
1976 Reliant kitten
1998 Peugeot 306 GTI-6
1993 XM sei V6 RP 5876

White Exec
Citroen God!
Orga / RP numbers: RP7165
1996 2.5TD saloon, Exclusive, Polar White
1992 BX19D Millesime, Sable Phenicien
Location: ex-Ealing, Cheshire, W.Sussex & Surrey. Now living in Sayalonga (Malaga, Spain)

Post by White Exec » Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:06 pm

Check that the 12mm pressure regulator de-pressurising bolt (it's on the front side of the regulator body, and sits slightly proud) is in place and tightened. Just possible it isn't, or it is leaking.

Refill the reservoir (you can check the float is working by unplugging it, and rotating it anti-clockwise by 90deg, and lifting out).
Correct level is the orange disc (not the gold one) between the two red lines, when the car is in Highest position.
As you can't achieve this yet, just make sure there are always 2 or 3 litres of LHM in the tank; over-filling isn't normally a problem.
Have a good few litres of LHM handy. Any you buy will keep for later, including system/brake bleeding.

Slacken off the de-pressurising bolt by just 1 turn (do NOT remove it). Like this, fluid will be taken by the pump and simply pumped back to the reservoir. This will get fluid round the pump, and should also de-aerate air trapped in the suction pipe between reservoir and pump. After running for a few minutes like this, re-tighten the 12mm bolt, and the system should then get pressurised.

All that assuming there isn't a separate leak, of course!
Chris
1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive RP7165 Polar White
1992 BX19D Millesime RP5800 Sable
1989 BX19RD Delage Red Deceased; 1998 ZX 1.9D Avantage auto Triton Green Company car 1998..2001; 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto Wicked Red Company car 2001..2003