M 95 S2 2.1td Autobox swap plus OTHER work

The place to show off and tell us all about your XMs (or even other cars). Should it be a big project, or just some general pics, start your thread in here.
Dieselman
Global Moderator

Re: M reg 1995 2.1td autobox Swap

Post by Dieselman » Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:47 am

citroenxm wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:56 pm
when I did switch it on it came up on radio 2
It's gone faulty in protest...

I have some measured current draws from three S1 cars.
2.1Sd = constant 4mA
2.1Sed = 4mA with regular short pulse at 20mA
3.0-24 = 16mA wth regular short pulse to 20mA.

I can only think the Climate control panel draws some power to retain the settings, maybe the keypad does too. Neither have been checked.

On battery connection the Hydractive electrovalve energised for 30 seconds, with an initial inrush current of more than 2A, then 1.8A until switching off.
This could be used as a method of testing electrovalve operation if one can't hear them.
Presumably, due to having two electrovalves, H2 systems have double the current draw.
92 2.1SED M.RP5740 ECZ Sable Phenicien
92 3.0 V6-24.Rp 5713 EXY Black
92 2.1SD M.RP 5685 ENT Blue Sideral
Prev
90 2.1SD M.RP 5049 EJV Mandarin
92 2.1SD A.RP 5698 EJV Mandarin
94 2.1SD A.RP 6218 ERT Triton Green
91 2.0SI M.RP 5187 EWT White

citroenxm
Global Moderator

Post by citroenxm » Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:33 am

So in short I'm still reading quite high..

The climate control panel is engine running relay switched in that it stays off until the engine has actually started.. and goes off with ignition. When I pulled the plugs from it originally there was no change to current draw..
Projects:(eventually if theres any bodywork left)
93 L Xm 2.1t D auto project
93 L xm V6 12v Sei Manual

Others
In use.. 1995 M reg S2 2.1td auto exclusive

citroenxm
Global Moderator

Post by citroenxm » Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:30 am

A small update. Since swapping the starter Im now suffering starter solinoid click and no turning but if I put 12v direct to the solinoid via a screw driver and jump lead she turns over so I have put in a crude relay 12v supply to the solinoid and see how that goes.

In other news as the equipment list goes another item works.. I pulled Up on the lamp washers and the jets were sticky both sides... After a bit of washing they popped up and washed the lamps.. Yaaaayy..

Only 2 things not working... Sunroof which I don't care for and AC.. Oh I still need to get the arm rest lift cradle out to see why it jams half way up.. So I guess that's three things not working.

Others

citroenxm
Global Moderator

Post by citroenxm » Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:03 am

Nothing much to report on Xm wise.

I added a crude relay curcuit to take 12v from battery to starter. It worked yesterday.. The battery isn't going flat either... So she has started last two tries.. She's not been used the last week as I had been playing with a 2006 c5 2.0 16v auto hdi .. The valve block has gone faulty causing it to bang into forward gears as well as reverse gears.

Here's the interesting part. Valve blocks in these later boxes which in this case is the Aisin am6 or tcf 80sc have no bearing in gear change patten. Meaning it operates the gear changes but the ecu tells the block when to change. I have fitted a v6 24v block from a C5 v6 with same box and it now works a dream. The c5 leaves me Friday or Sat..

Others

citroenxm
Global Moderator

Post by citroenxm » Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:35 pm

Decided to have a look at the front arm rest issue..

So stripped the centre console out lofted it up at the back and had a good look.

Its a fairly simple system having two gude runs and 2x driving cogs. On each end of a square drive rod passing through a motor simmilar to a seat motor.

So after a bit of closer inspection.. The cogs which of course are plastic but a fair size one of them has lost a tooth or two so it stalls when it gets to the clogged guide....

So out with it and replace with another... The cog guides can be removed but are rivited in place so that the movi g base can pass them space is a bit tight

Pleased to have found a reason for the stall.

Others

citroenxm
Global Moderator

Post by citroenxm » Thu Feb 10, 2022 4:22 pm

I decided this week due to being grounded again after another positive covid test to chase up the faulty arm rest and find out why it stops half way up..

So dismantled centre console lifted the rear up.. Unbolted the armrest moved the air bag trigger ecus out the way and took it out the back..

After a bit of close study a tooth is missing off the cog.. I fetched a spare unit but spotted the first small issue..
Screenshot_20220210-155118.png
Different shapes. The flat ledge and more square cut out on the right is the S2 y4 unit its shaped for the air bag ecus to sit infront of the unit. The left unit is an S1 unit. So it was repair the S2 y4 unit.

The side is rivited on so I had to drill them..
Screenshot_20220210-155111.png
Lift the side off...
Screenshot_20220210-155046.png
Screenshot_20220210-155104.png
And there we are one full tooth. Missing..

So ill have to Rob a cog from the other unit. The next issue was reassembly. There's little space between the side and the moving tray on the other side. Initally I thought tap the rivit remains. But that meant M4 of which I've no M4 bolts. I then decided I can tap the holes to M6 and drill out the plastic case for the bolts to pass. Through. I found some brake disc counter sunk screws.. And were M6.. The side took a thread and a half which I think is enough to hold the side on..
Screenshot_20220210-155021.png
Assembly now for another day. I can counter sunk the plastic cover with a larger drill.. Two bolts are too long and will need cutting down to correct. Length.. But all in all should work fine. Its a guide.. Its not taking weight etc so the bolts just need to be tight enough to stop them falling out in time.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Others

citroenxm
Global Moderator

Re: M 95 S2 2.1td Autobox swap plus OTHER work

Post by citroenxm » Sat Feb 12, 2022 3:34 pm

Moving on I managed to complete this, removed the side off the donar unit, in same way as above, and swapped the pinion cog over..

Then discovered that screw length actually doesnt matter on three of the 4 bolts. As shown it clears the three of four.. happy days.

So that was a pleasing result, issue now im left with a broken S1 arm rest unit, so I now wonder would a 3d print of the pinion be strong enough ... I guess the break happend possibly by leaning on the arm rest to get comfy.

So all re fitted I just need to assemble the front now when the weather is dry again..

Others

Julianw
Has changed a sphere or two
Orga / RP numbers: 4937

Post by Julianw » Sat Feb 12, 2022 11:30 pm

I bet you're chuffed to bits with that. I've yet to experience a working electrically adjustable armrest in anything, let alone an XM, and mine doesn't have one. Yet.
But yeah, yeah, there's so much i have to do before it's MOT-able...
I can dream

citroenxm
Global Moderator

Post by citroenxm » Sun Feb 13, 2022 9:06 am

It was annoying as it only came up half way.. So I was a bit side crouched when driving..

I've always had them. If one didn't have it I added it..

I will see if I can get the cog made and then will have a spare base.. I should have another two.. But not entirely certain where at the moment.

Others

citroenxm
Global Moderator

Post by citroenxm » Sat Feb 19, 2022 7:40 pm

And so we continue.. Starter saga PT. 2

The relay mod decided to stop working again. However this time the starter wasn't clicking.. It was like when an auto is in gear and you try n start just nothing happens..

This meant then the relay wasn't getting ignition switch signal. I took the relay feed from the original starter wire.. So looked there. Decided to trace the wire back and found it at the plug under the lhm tank.. After taking the air box and upper air intake out.. Stripped the Insulation back and tested for continuity which it strangely passed..
So I moved the relay feed bavk to the plug.. And tried again and from this position.. The relay worked.. So there must be a break down or something between the plug under the lhm tank and starter solinoid ring terminal.

So back to starting on the key again.

Others