NC500 . . . and a little problem with wheel balance

Off topic chat about anything you like. Doesn't have to be about XMs (though they will inevitibly come up!). You can even discuss non-Citroens :o in here!
White Exec
Citroen God!
Orga / RP numbers: RP7165
1996 2.5TD saloon, Exclusive, Polar White
1992 BX19D Millesime, Sable Phenicien
Location: ex-Ealing, Cheshire, W.Sussex & Surrey. Now living in Sayalonga (Malaga, Spain)

NC500 . . . and a little problem with wheel balance

Post by White Exec » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:40 am

DSCF3030.JPG
DSCF3058.JPG
DSCF3127.JPG
DSCF3156.JPG
The NC500 trip was a great success. Left home here in Andalucia on 29 August, overnighted in Burgos (northern Spain) and Poitiers (western France), then Caen-Portsmouth ferry for a day with family in Hampshire. Next day, an overnight in Stirling, and a meet-up with Davie McKay from FCF in Fort William, lunchtime on Sunday 3 September. Retired fishing skipper Davie (now I.A.M.) left his 205 there, and was suitably impressed with driving the XM. Front tyres excepted...

And over the next seven days, round we went clockwise (the proper way to do it): Applecross - Achnasheen - Gairloch - Ullapool - Durness - Smoo - Thurso - John o'Groats - Duncansby Head - Inverness - and back along Loch Ness to Fort William.

All in, an unforgettable trip, and great company.

Tyres? Well, on the way up to Stirling, some steering wheel shimmy began, at first just a tad, but it got worse. And then disappeared. By Applecross it was back again, and so we jacked up the front wheels to take a look, and span them under gentle engine power: both front tyres (Michelin Energy) were no longer circular, and also had some sideways run-out, despite only being half worn. Age had obviously got them, so we on-line ordered an new pair for fitting at NTS Inverness a few days later.

The tyres were there ok, and could be fitted (a day early as it happened). But . . . NTS didn't have a centreless balancing attachment for the Monte Carlo's. And neither did ATS (well they did, but it didn't fit their new balancer), nor Citroen (despite a big tyre bay). Peugeot did have the tool, but couldn't accept the car for a week!

So, we got NTS to fit the tyres, and leave them unbalanced. It turned out not too bad (Michelins after all are decently built), and the shimmy disappeared, leaving only a slight imbalance above 70mph.

On the way South, I overnighted in Warrington (my old college town), and had a bit of time to spare. So, to NTS there (no, we don't have a tool for those, but an independent guy nearby does...). The independent guy produced his attachment, and despite numerous attempts, never got the wheel - let alone the tyre - to spin true. Attempt abandoned, and profuse apologies.

Finally back in Hampshire, a recommended Bordon tyre depot produced their attachment, and utterly failed to assemble it correctly, resulting in a ludicrous number of adhesive weights being added (16 x 5g to each wheel). Above 50mph, the car was undriveable! I stripped off the weights with a blade, and the car drove infinitely better.

And so the long drive home (Hampshire to Andalucia, 2000km) during which I found relative smoothness below 70mph or above 85. Interesting choice.

After a day at home, I took the car to my local Spanish tyre fitter in Algarrobo. Not only did he have the attachment, he had a brand new one - a flange adaptor for 3-, 4- and 5-hole centreless wheels, fitted almost only to Citroen/Peugeot - and he knew exactly how to use it. Job done, and just €10 for the two wheels.

If you want a job done . . . :?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by White Exec on Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris
1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive RP7165 Polar White
1992 BX19D Millesime RP5800 Sable
1989 BX19RD Delage Red Deceased; 1998 ZX 1.9D Avantage auto Triton Green Company car 1998..2001; 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto Wicked Red Company car 2001..2003

MTXM
Citroen God!

Re: NC500 . . . and little problem with wheel balance

Post by MTXM » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:46 am

That does look like a really amazing trip Chris and I was sorry to hear about the ongoing problem with your tyres! On my 2,500 mile drive across France earlier this year I used a spare day to fit a new set of Michelin Energy tyres on the car that certainly did make a difference. With regards, Matthew T.
1989 V6 Exclusive (Poland car) - Now living in a local Motor Museum!
1990 V6sei auto (grey auto)
1990 V6sei manual (gold car)
1990 V6.24 Pallas (Germany car)
1990 V6.24v (Scotland car)
Other previous XM sold and broken too many to mention!