Brian Primmer and Lithuanian strut tops

Off topic chat about anything you like. Doesn't have to be about XMs (though they will inevitibly come up!). You can even discuss non-Citroens :o in here!
MTXM
Citroen God!

Brian Primmer and Lithuanian strut tops

Post by MTXM » Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:07 pm

I have been trying to contact Brian Primmer re strut tops on the number given by the CCC magazine advert and there is no dialling tone which is strange. There is also an email address given but I just wondered if anyone knew anything? With regards, Matthew T.
Last edited by MTXM on Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1989 V6 Exclusive (Poland car) - Now living in a local Motor Museum!
1990 V6sei auto (grey auto)
1990 V6sei manual (gold car)
1990 V6.24 Pallas (Germany car)
1990 V6.24v (Scotland car)
Other previous XM sold and broken too many to mention!

citroenxm
Global Moderator

Re: Brian Primmer?

Post by citroenxm » Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:53 pm

Do you have more money then you need mathew??

Brian goes to kings just like you and I can and adds a mark up..

why not deal direct yourself and save a fair few ££££££ s??

or pardon my ignorance are you wanting chrome strips? Didnt russ discover a good effect and sucessfully apply silver tape to them with a good result??
Projects:(eventually if theres any bodywork left)
93 L Xm 2.1t D auto project
93 L xm V6 12v Sei Manual

Others
In use.. 1995 M reg S2 2.1td auto exclusive

MTXM
Citroen God!

Post by MTXM » Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:09 pm

To cut a long story short Paul I had two strut tops remanufactured direct for a friend and they send me back a non-matching pair, ie. an early type and slightly later waisted version. I accept they are interchangeable, but I am still unhappy about using one of each type. The chap in Lithuania acknowledged they made a mistake, but will not cover postage to make the switch and is now ignoring my emails. Needless to say I am not impressed by the service and to be honest, although no doubt serviceable, the quality of the work does not look that great either. I understand Brian has a stock of remade strut tops and I hoped it might be possible to switch. When I last saw Brian he looked very frail and I am slightly fearing the worst! With regards, Matthew T.

Eddie nuff
Could do a 2.1 headgasket

Post by Eddie nuff » Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:00 am

MTXM wrote:The chap in Lithuania acknowledged they made a mistake, but will not cover postage to make the switch and is now ignoring my emails.
Puts a new light on this superhero! His mistake but he won't sort it!
89 XM 2.0Si RP4788 (Gold)

MTXM
Citroen God!

Post by MTXM » Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:02 am

Yes Neil I am sorry to say that I cannot give my recommendation to use the company and would certainly not do so myself again. It is a shame because communication otherwise was good and the parts were delivered quite swiftly for a fairly reasonable cost. I understand that Japp has found an alternative service and from what I have seen the finished result is also much more attractive. With regards, Matthew T.

xmexclusive
Global Moderator

Post by xmexclusive » Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:47 am

Matthew, I am sorry things did not work out as you hoped.
PM me full details and I will see if I can help with a swap.
I need ORGA of car if it is earlier than 1993 as the 1990 Citroen strut/head change was undated, just listed as when the stock runs out.
Also check the number of security dimples inside the strut heads you have as I will not take or use the very early 4 dimple heads.

If you consider the structural integrity of the rebuilding is suspect on yours then publish urgently full details on here.
The different appearance of these refurbished items was fully published in detail on here when they first became available.
So the rather rough finish should not have been a surprise.
My view remains that they are a cheap servicable option to keep an XM on the road.
When first available they were the only alternative to the incredibly expensive and reported NFP Citroen ones.

Did you consider the Dutch ones as an option when you placed your order with KINGas.

It may help others sending to know what specific instructions you put on your order?

It is my understanding that KINGas in Lithuania uses the strut head hole size as the difference guide to strut heads.
On that basis the item is usable and servicable as supplied.
The process was set up with no spares stock, items sent in go through the refurbish and rebuild process as batches.
I corresponded to see if we could build up a stock holding at an extra cost but supplies were just not obtainable.
I suspect therefore that your original head has been sent out to another customer and cannot reasonably be retrieved.
Nor is there spare stock of any of the many different XM strut head variations to draw from.

On a more general note not sure if I have ever put up details of the 1990 strut/struthead changes as it does not affect any of my cars.
Citroen altered the position and size of the strut holes and struthead washers.
New type strut heads were NOT permitted to be used on old type struts.
Citroen required a new type strut to be fitted to match the new type struthead.
They allowed old system one side of the car and new on the other side.
They also allowed new design strut in old type head.

John

MTXM
Citroen God!

Re: Brian Primmer and Lithuanian strut tops

Post by MTXM » Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:27 pm

Many thanks for you response and advice John and I can confirm an orga number of 6023, while the car is a 1993 reg. 2.0sei turbo manual and therefore fitted with the slightly later waisted strut top. If you had a part of the correct type and were happy to do a swap to give me a matching pair that would certainly be much appreciated. The remanufactured top I would ideally like to exchange is of the earlier type with straight sides and I have checked mine and there are actually four dimples rather than the ten on the later top. I can also confirm I do not think the structural integrity of the work is poor and it is more the finish, including a completely different collar design and almost transparent paint! The Dutch replacement tops have only recently come to my attention and I would certainly consider them next time and there were no special instructions with my order. I think it was reasonable to expect return of my original parts or those of a matching type although I accept the head holes are the same. As you suggest another customer must have my other top and I have his! With regards, Matthew T. PS. The Lithuanian Company now seems to be called Elastomer and the person I dealt with was Irmantas.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

xmexclusive
Global Moderator

Post by xmexclusive » Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:21 pm

Hi Matthew

I have just checked and the one remaining small hole one has waisted sides.
It is also passenger side and I think that pairs with yours.
It will need painting as the finish of the elastomer is matt black.

How quickly do you need it?
We expect to be over in early December.

Elastomer and Irmantas are the same firm and person that I have corresponded with.
The modified top skirt was essential to allow work space to weld in the ring that prevents bonnet popping on failure.
This extra feature can only be added after assembly, then the elastomer is cast.

The early strut head design changes I mentioned above are very important.
It seems that the restrictions they impose are not at all well known, nor the weakness of the 4 dimple head.
I have seen no evidence to confirm that waisting and move to 10 dimple happened at the same time.
I notice that the Dutch photos show a 4 dimple head being rebuilt.

If I send any more heads to KINGas to rebuild I will mark them and specify return of my own items, no exchange acceptable.

John

MTXM
Citroen God!

Post by MTXM » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:19 pm

Hi John,
That is great news you have a suitable spare strut top and it is indeed the passenger one I need, while there is no problem about the paint. If you were able to call in early next month I would be really grateful and there is certainly no rush as I have loaned and fitted some other parts on the car for the present. I also note your other comments including about the Company name and modified top skirt and specifying return of original parts in the future! Please let me know when you are this way and it would also be good to meet up
With regards,
Matthew T.

Dieselman
Global Moderator

Post by Dieselman » Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:19 pm

MTXM wrote: I have checked mine and there are actually four dimples rather than the ten on the later top.
How did you check, visually from underneath?
92 2.1SED M.RP5740 ECZ Sable Phenicien
92 3.0 V6-24.Rp 5713 EXY Black
92 2.1SD M.RP 5685 ENT Blue Sideral
Prev
90 2.1SD M.RP 5049 EJV Mandarin
92 2.1SD A.RP 5698 EJV Mandarin
94 2.1SD A.RP 6218 ERT Triton Green
91 2.0SI M.RP 5187 EWT White