Lhm leak

Off topic chat about anything you like. Doesn't have to be about XMs (though they will inevitibly come up!). You can even discuss non-Citroens :o in here!
newxmman
Knows how to use the parking brake

Re: Lhm leak

Post by newxmman » Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:52 am

Having looked at the possibilities I think it may be the middle of the threaded unions on the height corrector. I also didn’t realise there were seals in them. I need to get them off.

newxmman

Re: Diesel leak.

Post by newxmman » Thu May 18, 2023 7:27 pm

Yes indeed, can’t say it’s easy parting with money but I keep it as low as I can. Here s a question, I know I have two hydraulic leaks, the others I’ve managed to tighten up. Going back in time, it’s the module halfway back I think it’s the accumulator but I haven’t looked for a while. It’s the part to the left and up from the module I secured last time if you recall, probably not! Anyhow it’s under a bracket of some kind when you look up, I think it’s the accumulator or the height corrector? I need to get it off and service it, is that possible? If so can I plug the cables and push the car of the ramp til I’ve serviced the part? Also the part at the front right…that drives the fluid and is near the belts, driven by them? Well that’s leaking, not bad but leaks. Can it be serviced? Cheers.

DownUnderXM
Orga / RP numbers: RP 8603
2000 ES9J V6, 4HP20 auto, Gris Quartz hatchback

Post by DownUnderXM » Thu May 18, 2023 9:15 pm

OK, 2nd part is the hydraulic pump. It has multiple O-rings which are readily available. It should be possible to replace some without removing the pump, although the plugs (that need to be unscrewed to replace the O-ring) can be very tight! It is essential to minimise pump leaks, because the alternator is usually mounted below it, and LHM will seriously shorten it's life.

The accumulator should be at the front. Does your first leaky part have a sphere attached? If not then what you are describing is most likely the front height corrector (or possible the power steering ram?). Not sure how high your ramp is, but as I'm sure you know by now, do not unscrew anything unless you have plenty of room underneath, as (unless the body is supported) there is a risk of the car dropping rapidly onto the bump stops. The good news is that the height corrector has a low pressure return line, which can be repaired without removing anything. Three is also a joiner (3 point?) where two return lines merge into one - these plastic joiners fracture with age.

You need to get everything really clean to determine where the actual leak is - once the LHM spreads around it can be very difficult to tell where it's coming from. Can you get degreaser in spray cans - these are very helpful for cleaning parts are hard to reach.

If the leaky part has a sphere, then it is most likely the front hydractive electrovalve.

Dieselman
Global Moderator

Post by Dieselman » Fri May 19, 2023 6:47 am

All Citroen hydraulics components can be serviced, the pipes have seals that look like small lengths of rubber hose, sliding valves tend to use O rings.

From your description, I have no idea of the first component that may be leaking, perhaps images would help. I think you could be describing the front hydractive sphere mounted in the subframe behind the steering rack.
Depending on where the pump is leaking from dictates the repair. Early, six piston, single exit pumps don't tend to leak unless very old. Again, pipe seals are easy, the nose seal less so, as the pulley needs to be removed and the pump stripped down.

I thought you had just put this car on the road, if so, how did it pass an Mot test with hydraulic leaks?

You can dismantle any part of the system and still move the car around. It will naturally sit on the bump stops, but you can block the suspension to give higher ground clearance, if required.
Obviously, don't run the engine, or fluid will pour out.

Citroen pipe seal and flare nut on pipe.
https://ecas2cvparts.co.uk/products/bra ... each-05395

Pipe and seal sizes re 3.5mm, 4.5mm, 6.35mm
92 2.1SED M.RP5740 ECZ Sable Phenicien
92 3.0 V6-24.Rp 5713 EXY Black
92 2.1SD M.RP 5685 ENT Blue Sideral
Prev
90 2.1SD M.RP 5049 EJV Mandarin
92 2.1SD A.RP 5698 EJV Mandarin
94 2.1SD A.RP 6218 ERT Triton Green
91 2.0SI M.RP 5187 EWT White

newxmman

Post by newxmman » Fri May 19, 2023 10:21 pm

Mot, I suppose leak not excessive?

Dieselman
Global Moderator

Post by Dieselman » Sat May 20, 2023 7:53 am

That can be the case.
If it's something that has been picked up at Mot time and you are dealing with it, rather than leaving it, then that's a credit to you.

If you show us where the leak is, we can probably help you better.
If it's just a pipe union, then tightening it a little may work, if not fit a new seal.
Prev

newxmman

Post by newxmman » Sat May 20, 2023 2:20 pm

Yes, he wouldn’t have necessarily seen it but I know it’s there. If you look at the post lhm leak which I did sometime back that probably will tell you the part that’s still leaking. You advised me then. There doesn’t seem to be any coming from the front now but I think there is a slight leak from the very front, the pump. The more obvious one is further back but it’s been a while since I looked. Looking towards the front, there was a Union which we secured with a little box on it if I remember right, to the left, above some kind of bracket was another part which we found also had a leak it may have a sheer attached but when I look next I’ll ask you again. Thanks.

newxmman

Post by newxmman » Sat May 20, 2023 2:21 pm

Sorry sphere not sheer!

Dieselman
Global Moderator

Re: Lhm leak.

Post by Dieselman » Sat May 20, 2023 3:19 pm

newxmman wrote:
Sat May 20, 2023 2:20 pm
Yes, he wouldn’t have necessarily seen it but I know it’s there. If you look at the post lhm leak which I did sometime back that probably will tell you the part that’s still leaking. You advised me then. There doesn’t seem to be any coming from the front now but I think there is a slight leak from the very front, the pump. The more obvious one is further back but it’s been a while since I looked. Looking towards the front, there was a Union which we secured with a little box on it if I remember right, to the left, above some kind of bracket was another part which we found also had a leak it may have a sheer attached but when I look next I’ll ask you again. Thanks.
I've merged your threads for clarity.

The unit hydraulic unit with the little box on it, towards the rear of the front subframe, sounds like the front electrovalve, which is connected to the front stiffness regulator, which in turn has the front centre sphere screwed to it.

You mention having access to a ramp, in which case you should be able to see any leak readily.
newxmman wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 7:27 pm
I need to get it off and service it, is that possible? If so can I plug the cables and push the car of the ramp til I’ve serviced the part?
I've attached the diagram of the pipework so you can identify which ones have leaks.
This is a Hydractive-1 diagram, but most of the components are the same, save for your car having another electrovalve at the rear and a deletion of one metal pipe.
It appears you have an inordinate amount of leaks to deal with, more than most Xm suffer in a lifetime.

As mentioned previously, a picture really would say a thousand words, otherwise we are likely to still be discussing this into a new millenia.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Prev