Advice, buyers guides, 2.0 petrol turbos and many more questions

Off topic chat about anything you like. Doesn't have to be about XMs (though they will inevitibly come up!). You can even discuss non-Citroens :o in here!
The_Wombat
XM newbie

Advice, buyers guides, 2.0 petrol turbos and many more questions

Post by The_Wombat » Sun Apr 09, 2023 3:25 pm

Just joined today (posted a hi and what I am up to).

In summary, bought a green 2.1 TD estate to save but the underfloor and structure are just too far gone for anyone other than a hardcore enthusiast with a MIG welder for a heart!!

Still want an XM estate, so looking at a silver 2.0 turbo petrol one this week which seems in much much better condition.

Whilst I am browsing the forum, searching for info etc, I wondered if:
- There is a detailed buyers guide anywhere? I am not inexperienced but would like to find all the little nuances to look for as didn't do so well on the green one (but knew it was a risk and it is a complete and working car)
- Is there a right up anywhere on the 2.o petrol turbo engine? I am much less familiar with this unit

Any help would be very appreciated.
Land Rover 101 FC Ambulance
Guilty of owning multiple Freelanders
Discovery 3 workhorse
Range Rover Sport 3.6TD
Alfa GTV Cup
Alfa 75 V6 Cloverleaf
Alfa 916 Spider

citroenxm
Global Moderator

Re: Advice, buyers guides, 2.0 petrol turbos and many more questions

Post by citroenxm » Sun Apr 09, 2023 4:39 pm

The car itself will present in exactly the same way.. under floor cills etc etc..

The tct engine is an iron block dry liner 8v with a turbo on it. The turbos on them are for a petrol unit very tough units. However I've come across siezed units before now.. but at 145bhp and 20 mpg they are just not worth the use..

The young boys used to love to tct engines to go In their 205s or 309s etc but that seems to of tailed off now with multi valve engines. The gearbox if auto will be the same 4hp18 mechical box but different ratios between them .

The other difference is the sound deadening inside and under the bonnet will be different and will be thicker on the diesel .. but really between the diesel and petrol both cars will need the same rigorous checks.
Projects:(eventually if theres any bodywork left)
93 L Xm 2.1t D auto project
93 L xm V6 12v Sei Manual

Others
In use.. 1995 M reg S2 2.1td auto exclusive