Interesting idea - self service garage

Off topic chat about anything you like. Doesn't have to be about XMs (though they will inevitibly come up!). You can even discuss non-Citroens :o in here!
Ciaran
Site Admin
Orga / RP numbers: 1234

Interesting idea - self service garage

Post by Ciaran » Thu May 14, 2009 11:17 am

I came across this while trawling the internets earlier -

Pit Start Garage.

I thought it was a really great idea, just think of all those times where you've been scuppered on a job at home because you needed access to a lift to get at something, or an impact wrench to undo that crankshaft pulley bolt etc etc.

Insurance for such a place must be a bit of a nightmare mind!

Ciarán

Peter.N.
Global Moderator

Re: Interesting idea - self service garage

Post by Peter.N. » Thu May 14, 2009 11:22 am

I remember something like this some years ago but then it all went quiet. A good idea but you would need some through put to make it viable, are there still people interested or poor enough to sustain it? Hope it works.

Peter
'96 'N' 2.1 td VSX manual estate White RP6695. Sadly gone
2008 C5 2.0. Hdi Estate, Red
2008 C5 2.0. Hdi Estate Silver

Located in Charmouth, Dorset

Ciaran
Site Admin

Post by Ciaran » Thu May 14, 2009 12:05 pm

I hope so too, is a great little niche.

Thinking about it, with more people holding on to older cars now due to financial situations, theres arguably a growing market for places like this.

A mate has been talking today about opening an afterhours garage / servicing / recovery / tyre centre, targeted at people who can't be without their cars during normal office hours.

I actually think it could work, theres a demand for that kind of out-of-hours service in this area, especially if it was staffed by competent mechanics and not the usual monkeys the likes of Krap F*** employ....

Ciarán

minijet
Has changed a sphere or two

Post by minijet » Thu May 14, 2009 12:14 pm

I remember this idea was tried in the late seventies/early eighties, but like Peter said, it quickly vanished without trace.
I think it's a great idea, I don't have the facilities to do any major work on my cars, but at £10 per hour I can only see it being used for small jobs - brakes, exhausts, etc.
I wouldn't like to use it for an engine out job. What if you found you didn't have all the parts you need and have to wait for a part to arrive, while you're car is layed up costing you £240 per day?
If there was one locally I would certainly take the opportunity to get the car up on the four post lift and have a good look at the underside.
I hope it proves a success, hopefully we'll get one up here.

citroenmad
Citrobics expert

Post by citroenmad » Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:14 am

This was actually featured on last nights Fifthgear, did anyone see it?

They took a car to a indy for front discs and pads to be replaced, cost just shy of £200 including parts.

They then went to the self service garage, replaced the same parts (given a 10 minute penalty as the brakes had just been off) and the result was a £70 saving, and the pleasure of doing it yourself of course!
Chris.
64 C1 Feel 5 Door
S2 Xantia Exclusive 2.0HDi 110 Estate - Mauritius Blue
S1 Xantia 2.0TCT Activa - Silver
77 Ami 8 Saloon
04 Rover 75

CCC Xantia Files Columnist.

Ciaran
Site Admin

Post by Ciaran » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:02 am

Missed it, I keep forgetting Fifth Gear is on these days.

Must see if I can catch the repeat, would have been interesting to see.

Ciarán

onthecut
Citrobics expert

Post by onthecut » Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:45 pm

I'm kind of curious about what the small print must include, because quite a few jobs in today's cotton wool state must be considered quite hazardous (and, of course, so some are). I'm not sure I'd want to be next to someone accidentally (or deliberately) venting their air con to atmosphere, or carelessly waving a hefty chunk of engine about, etc.

Mike.

Jan-hendrik
XM Guru

Post by Jan-hendrik » Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:56 am

These DIY service garages/workshops have been coming and going since times immemorial. I have seen them for mopeds, motorcycles and motorcars on and off since the 1960s. Nothing new here really.
2000 XM 3.0 V6 24v Exclusive Auto Vert Vega - 86k km LHD RP8569

demag
Knows how to use the parking brake

Post by demag » Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:13 am

Halfords actually had a set up like this not far from me some years ago. I think they eventually turned it into a normal service garage.
2.5td......Now sold.
BX1.6TXS
Fiat Multipla 115Elx Jtd (Not quite standard!)

Dave.