Rare

Off topic chat about anything you like. Doesn't have to be about XMs (though they will inevitibly come up!). You can even discuss non-Citroens :o in here!
robert_e_smart
Global Moderator

Re: Rare

Post by robert_e_smart » Mon May 18, 2009 7:03 am

I'm glad that you all like it.

It really is just a big BX!

Excuses for not going to see it, well for a start I don't have 3 grand lying about, and I am moving back home to NI at the end of the week. I also need to spend a small fortune on CXs soon.

That's not a bad price for a French XM either, perhaps a bit on the steep side. €2500 would be more realistic, but then again it is spotless, and low mileage. The price will also put people off using it as a cheap big car, and hopefully attract the proper enthusiast it deserves.

The wheel trims on it should also be like this.

1990 XM 2.1 Turbo SD
2008 Volvo V70 D5 SE Lux Automatic
2009 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Automatic

andmcit
XM Guru

Post by andmcit » Mon May 18, 2009 7:21 am

Rob, talking about rare, what's the story with the '82 CX Prestige then!?

I must've missed that one. Guess this is the CX to cost you a small fortune?
Is it being purchased and shipped over from the UK? I recall seeing one a
while ago for a few £k's but can't remember where now!
Andrew

robert_e_smart
Global Moderator

Post by robert_e_smart » Mon May 18, 2009 9:11 am

Yes it is the Prestige that I'm refering too. A 1982 2.4 injected auto.

Well both of my CXs need money thrown at them really.

And here she is... In a bit of a sorry state:

http://athena.cx/main.php?g2_itemId=574

Shes currently in Scotland at my friends house. It hasn't been taxed since 1994, has 68k on the clock, hasn't run in 5 years, and has been parked in a forest with the broken windows for most of those 5 years. So a bit of a mess. But all the Prestige specific trim is there, I have the glass too, and its not as rotten as it looks. The previous owner started to remove trim to prepare for a respray, then it had its windows broken and he lost interest.

There was a CX prestige for spares on e-bay last week, that I will hopefully buy, as I need the interior from it and probably other spares.

I'm just trying to find the most economical way of getting both of them over to N.Ireland. Car transport companies aren't interested as they can't drive onto their transporters, and aren't interested in going to private addresses. The best option for me is to hire a transit type recovery vehicle and go over and bring each one to the port, put on on the low loader, and tow the other one on to the boat. Then leave on in the port at the other side, drop one off at home, and go back to pick the other up. But I am having real difficulty finding one of these things for hire, plenty of trailers for hire, but that is expensive on the boat also.

citroenxm
Global Moderator

Post by citroenxm » Mon May 18, 2009 9:21 am

Manual seats, no radio controls, no glove box lock, no sunroof.. what looks like just a fuel guage, temp could be hidden I guess.. and most likely but cant proove it manual mirrors, as theres no centre console to put the switch in...

A BX Has a better spec really!!

paul
Projects:(eventually if theres any bodywork left)
93 L Xm 2.1t D auto project
93 L xm V6 12v Sei Manual

Others
In use.. 1995 M reg S2 2.1td auto exclusive

hobblerian
Knows how to use the parking brake

Post by hobblerian » Mon May 18, 2009 11:48 am

Looks very nice, though I'm a bit bias as its the same champagne colour as my first XM, though mine did have the black interior. The brown colour of the interior reminds me very much of our families old GSA's we used to have, very 70's indeed. The wheel trims match to the 2.1sd also. Think I definitely would prefer it with a MK1 spoiler though. ;)
Previous XM- 1990 H 2.1TD SD
Current XM- 1997 P 2.1TD VSX

Ciaran
Site Admin
Orga / RP numbers: 1234

Post by Ciaran » Mon May 18, 2009 1:40 pm

robert_e_smart wrote:I'm glad that you all like it.
The wheel trims on it should also be like this.

I love those wheel trims, how very space age and XMish. Bit like the usual 'bowling ball' ones.

I do have to say they just don't look right without a spoiler though, its just too lacking.

Ciarán

andmcit
XM Guru

Post by andmcit » Mon May 18, 2009 1:50 pm

One of the WORST windows to lose on a CX that mind. "A challenging resto"...

It reminds me very much of one I lost unfortunately after it was trashed beyond saveability
by mindless morons or my mate's basket case one!!

You've got a fair uphill struggle to climb with the whole enterprise so the best of luck!
A Prestige is a very VERY rare beastie although I think that basket case ebay red one is
way too much at his lowered price mind - even if it's a low roof car.

Andrew

robert_e_smart
Global Moderator

Post by robert_e_smart » Mon May 18, 2009 2:01 pm

There is a lot of work to do to mine, but I think its worth keeping another alive. If I got that red prestige, it would make my restoration project a lot easie, leaving body and mechanicals to overhaul.

I have seen pics of that blue one before, it is amazing how much they can rot. Thankfully mine is no where near as bad as that one!
1990 XM 2.1 Turbo SD
2008 Volvo V70 D5 SE Lux Automatic
2009 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Automatic

jorgy
Could do a 2.1 headgasket

Post by jorgy » Mon May 18, 2009 7:22 pm

Tim,

You simply have to fit it with 4 corner "non-hydractive XM spheres", you can buy them at myparts.org . These were for 2lt carburated (115hp) and 2.1D (about 85hp) continental XMs, so weight+power-wise they are (almost) just fine for your car.

Will be good till u get the hydractive to work, and will protect your strut tops -I used to drive around with my teeth tighten at the sight of every bump for 1-2 years till I repaired mine...-.

The hydractive is softer when soft and harder when hard, and u get the additional feature of rolling reduction through the little ball that is incorporated i nthe hydractive blocks and seats in the middle of the side-to-side flow of the LHM, at each axle (front+rear).

So if u put non-hydractive spheres on yours u will possibly have the 1st XM that uses a "traditional" system (a la BX etc) but with the ball-feature included (will still work). Someone with a DS had adapted an hydractive "module" to his front suspension and told me he had pretty good results in roll reduction.

cheers
George
'94 XM 3.0 12v LHD Manual, DIRAVI, Black - @138k, now 175k - RP6336 - SORN
'93 XM 2.1TD SED Manual, Pearl Emerald Green - @80k, now 115k - RP6077
SOLD '99 2.0 Xantia HDi Exclusive, Silver -118k to 130k
'00 XM 3.0 24v Exclusive, Silver - @117k

mouseflakes
Knows how to use the parking brake

Post by mouseflakes » Mon May 18, 2009 9:30 pm

Hmm - interesting. Thanks George. I haven't really looked into getting a replacement ECU yet (mine's the very first type) but this could be an option until I can get one.

Thanks!
Tim

1969 R16 GL - welding up
1978 R30 TS - resting up
1996 Saxo D - commuting up (?)