Rare

Off topic chat about anything you like. Doesn't have to be about XMs (though they will inevitibly come up!). You can even discuss non-Citroens :o in here!
demag
Knows how to use the parking brake

Re: Rare

Post by demag » Mon May 18, 2009 11:24 pm

I fitted BX front spheres to my Xm, because although I had improved the suspension it still felt too firm at the front and I also was worried for the strut tops.
2.5td......Now sold.
BX1.6TXS
Fiat Multipla 115Elx Jtd (Not quite standard!)

Dave.

jorgy
Could do a 2.1 headgasket

Post by jorgy » Tue May 19, 2009 4:18 pm

mouseflakes wrote:Hmm - interesting. Thanks George. I haven't really looked into getting a replacement ECU yet (mine's the very first type) but this could be an option until I can get one.

Thanks!
ps. Just leave the middle spheres where they are and maybe unplug the suspension ecu to be 100% sure it's not doing anything. You will effectively have a 4-sphere car, no need to touch anything else.
G
'94 XM 3.0 12v LHD Manual, DIRAVI, Black - @138k, now 175k - RP6336 - SORN
'93 XM 2.1TD SED Manual, Pearl Emerald Green - @80k, now 115k - RP6077
SOLD '99 2.0 Xantia HDi Exclusive, Silver -118k to 130k
'00 XM 3.0 24v Exclusive, Silver - @117k

jorgy
Could do a 2.1 headgasket

Post by jorgy » Tue May 19, 2009 4:35 pm

demag wrote:I fitted BX front spheres to my Xm, because although I had improved the suspension it still felt too firm at the front and I also was worried for the strut tops.
Hey Dave!,

That's another possibility also but I wouldn't advise it to anyone other than myself :lol: due to the quite different weights when you compare an XM to a BX. You'd need some detailed searching to see what BX sphere can approximately suit an XM -and still I suspect the damping of the BX ones will be less firm than any XM has ever been specified with (except of BX GTi perhaps?)-. How have the BX ones performed on your XM??? I suspect it became very comfortable but did u have any easy bottoming out or too much roll or...? What type precisely were they (for which BX)? from having looked at the various sphere tables I seem to remember that the rears for a BX Estate were the nearest best fitting for the front corners of an XM (given the middle sphere will be deactivated). Very interested in your comment.

On the other hand, the solution of fitting 4 non-hydractive XM spheres to a 2lt 130hp XM would be practically identical to what the Citroen factory has sold itself in terms of handling and loading safety specification, just that u'd loose the comfort benefit and added performance of the hydractive. But u could decide to permanently drive the car as such without worrying that u r doing something that u shouldn't really, u see what I mean...

cheers
G
'94 XM 3.0 12v LHD Manual, DIRAVI, Black - @138k, now 175k - RP6336 - SORN
'93 XM 2.1TD SED Manual, Pearl Emerald Green - @80k, now 115k - RP6077
SOLD '99 2.0 Xantia HDi Exclusive, Silver -118k to 130k
'00 XM 3.0 24v Exclusive, Silver - @117k