Hello From Richard

Off topic chat about anything you like. Doesn't have to be about XMs (though they will inevitibly come up!). You can even discuss non-Citroens :o in here!
Richard
Knows how to use the parking brake

Hello From Richard

Post by Richard » Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:55 pm

Yeah, I guess the header says it all.

I had a 2.1 XM saloon on a P plate for about three months now. A cheapish machine, full ticket, with 266,000 on the clock on same engine etc. Still goes well...very well.

But how well can the trip computer be trusted? It's shows around 45-48 mpg, and that's not inconsistent with fuel input, so, could it be reliable?

Look forward to a long and happy time with the XM and the XM Forum

kenhall
Citroen go-to-guy

Re: Hello From Richard

Post by kenhall » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:10 pm

Hi Richard and welcome to the club.
The 2.1Td is a well respected engine capable of good performance, combined with excellent economy and durability if well looked after. It looks like you have acquired such an example. As a matter of interest does your motor have the Lucas EPIC electronic fuel injection ? (if you have the trip computer on the right hand display then it suggests that it does).

Regards Ken

Richard

Post by Richard » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:30 pm

Hello Ken, good to hear from you.

Yes, the display is on the right.

We had a 2.0 turbo petrol XM saloon about three years ago. Fuel economy was just a disaster, and frankly, the electrics were a nightmare. That was an N plate.

The P plate is a serious motoring machine. Didn't like such a big and bulky motor at first - I'm quite small so it swamps me. Now I've found the seat height adjuster it's not so bad, can see over the wheel now!

Ciaran
Site Admin
Orga / RP numbers: 1234

Post by Ciaran » Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:11 pm

Hi Richard, welcome to the mad house.

You've got a good car there with the 2.1TD. Its considered the best 'all rounder' engine when you combine performance, reliability, spares availability, ease of self repair, etc etc.

One of mine has this engine, and its a belter, its surprisingly quick for a diesel (can be moreso if you turn the fuel up a bit :lol: ), and gives half decent economy.
The trip computer readings can be fairly accurate, but you need to take them with a pinch of salt in some circumstances. If you suspect its wrong, get a reliable basis for comparison by recording mileage from full to empty tank, and repeat.

Our resident 2.1 expert, Peter, will no doubt be along shortly to add his input :)

Ciarán

Peter.N.
Global Moderator

Post by Peter.N. » Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:55 pm

:D :D :D Hi Richard

Welcome to the club. If your car is manual the fuel consumption is about right, 50 mpg + is achievable, if its auto - its exagerating!

I suspect that yours is manual although post '96 manuals are rare. The best of the bunch in my opinion, comfort, adequate performance and huge ammounts of space plus the legendry comfort of course. You can't now buy a car that has all these attributes and that you can repair yourself. Look after it!

Peter
'96 'N' 2.1 td VSX manual estate White RP6695. Sadly gone
2008 C5 2.0. Hdi Estate, Red
2008 C5 2.0. Hdi Estate Silver

Located in Charmouth, Dorset

Richard

Post by Richard » Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:03 pm

Well, thanks for all that. I'm glad to be with you all.

I don't know an awful lot about XM's although had GS GSA BX (several now)n they're small cars and I fitted quite nicely in them.

Having driven my wife's XM a good number of times I'm thinking of off-loading my last BX and getting another XM, this time for me.

One question (hope it's in the right place in the forum) is there an XM 2.1 model, manual, with air con and leather? Had a look around the web but haven't found that comination yet.

Again, many thanks, I think I'm going to enjoy being here.

Ciaran
Site Admin
Orga / RP numbers: 1234

Post by Ciaran » Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:30 pm

Hi Richard,

There are a few higher end 2.1s with aircon, usually VSX trim and above, and I've seen a few with leather, though these usually tended to be exclusives.

Don't despair though, because if you can find a car with aircon and the right engine, a leather interior is easily obtained and fitted without too much fuss.
You don't buy a perfect XM, you make one :)

Ciarán

Richard

Post by Richard » Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:30 pm

Thanks Ciaran, if you see a Wanted from me for leather, you know I've got another XM.

I was going to post a pic of my wife's car, but they all look pretty much the same in that green.

But...I take a pic of the speedo with the mileage on and post it

citroenxm
Global Moderator

Post by citroenxm » Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:50 am

Hi And Welcome!

Im another 2.1 fan, but ive never actually owned one!! Im a DERV fan, and have had pleanty of 1.9's in the Xantia.. however finding a XM 2.1 SERIES 1 Diesel is hard..

The 2.1 is a cracking unit, but can only be the BEST with the Bosch Mechanical Fuel system!

Epic is fine untill it goes home for tea :?

Rgds
Paul
Projects:(eventually if theres any bodywork left)
93 L Xm 2.1t D auto project
93 L xm V6 12v Sei Manual

Others
In use.. 1995 M reg S2 2.1td auto exclusive

Richard

Post by Richard » Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:18 pm

Hello Paul

I think I'm just getting to grips with the power available in the 2.1, as well as the mpg!

In Sept 2001 we bought the only new car we will ever afford, a C5 2.0 HDi. Test driving around the city it had a good low end torque, but the main agent wasn't keen for me to take it on the open road. My wife wanted it, so, well, you guessed the rest!

In 20 months so many parts were replaced under warranty, including the engine and rear suspension that we became more familiar with their loan cars.

Compared to the 2.1 XM it was a snail. Acceleration above 50 was dreadful, and the mpg on pulling the caravan which replaced our little camper was dreadful. On a minor gradient on an autobahn in former East Germany we were down to towing at 8 mpg. In fact we were over taken on that incline by a really old Russian petrol engined truck belching fumes and giving us a weird hand gesture I hadn't seen before!

Now our mid-life foreign tours are over - can't afford them any more - I'm looking more toward economy and load lugging.

Guess I found it!