Hello From Richard

Off topic chat about anything you like. Doesn't have to be about XMs (though they will inevitibly come up!). You can even discuss non-Citroens :o in here!
Ciaran
Site Admin
Orga / RP numbers: 1234

Re: Hello From Richard

Post by Ciaran » Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:19 pm

Richard wrote:Thanks Ciaran, if you see a Wanted from me for leather, you know I've got another XM.

I was going to post a pic of my wife's car, but they all look pretty much the same in that green.

But...I take a pic of the speedo with the mileage on and post it
Go for it.
I retrofitted an S1 leather interior to my velour 2.1 VSX with just minor modifications, the electric seats etc were a straight bolt in swap (though I did some extra work in order to keep the S2 seatbelt pretensioners). The main issue is the front door cards, as the angular S1 shaped ones don't look right against the curved S2 dash. You can overcome this by either just keeping your S2 doorcards, or modifying them to be trimmed in leather.

I fitted a pair of S2 cards very kindly sent to me by John (XMexclusive), he did a very good job of retrimming them.

You could always try and find an S2 leather interior, but they seem more common in S1 for some reason. S2s tend to have the half leather option more.

Ciarán

citroenxm
Global Moderator

Post by citroenxm » Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:14 pm

Thats an interesting comparison..

As the 2.1 td and 2.0 HDi (8v) WITH Intercooler are both 110bhp, (Unless you got the 90bhp C5 HDi)

Ive got a HDi 110bhp Xantia that im using at the moment and the difference is amazing! Its faster, quicker, And better on fuel, that said the Xantia is a smaller body and lighter.. I guess the C5 weighs in about the same as an XM..

Cairan Said:

You could always try and find an S2 leather interior, but they seem more common in S1 for some reason. S2s tend to have the half leather option more.

S1 cars much better equipt cars! By the time the S2 was here, cost cutting was needed, I gues it was cheaper to use half leather then full leather... S2 cars just trail behind S1.5 cars ..... both in Trim and body condition..

Paul
Projects:(eventually if theres any bodywork left)
93 L Xm 2.1t D auto project
93 L xm V6 12v Sei Manual

Others
In use.. 1995 M reg S2 2.1td auto exclusive

DerekW
Knows how to use the parking brake

Post by DerekW » Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:20 pm

Apropro the computer readouts, in my experience they are pretty accurate with one exception. The instantaneous mpg figures are about as accurate as government immigration data.

Derek
2000 V6 Exclusive, black. RP 8362
2004 C3 Exclusive Sensodrive,the wife's. She doesn't like it.
1995 ZX 1.8 auto, the latest replacement, she loves ZX's. Peace at last.

Richard

Post by Richard » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:10 pm

Well, thanks to all for the advice.

I didn't get around to sorting the drivers window this weekend - wife's grand children turned up and the car was in almost perpetual motion.

However, we're alone next weekend, i think, and so have booked some off road time to get the job done.

I'll post the results as soon as I have them.

Again, my thanks to you all.

Richard

Post by Richard » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:16 pm

DerekW, government immigration figures! I do hope the XM we have is a little better than that, we at least know who's coming and going!

To go further would be political, perhaps not the place for that, nor the time considering the plight of our government.

Sad state of affairs when so many forums are dedicated to French cars, which I have consistently owned for nearly thirty years, and we don't even have a realistic truly British motor manufacturerer in the UK.

Richard

Post by Richard » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:21 pm

CitroenXM, I think it's a matter where the torque really comes in.

Before buying the C5 I consulted with the Caravan Club re weights of the caravan and all available figures for the C5. They assured me it would pull the caravan with no trouble, but in practice it didn't work out. I can't now remember whether it was high end toque or low end, probably low end, but the damn thing didn't like real work! It was fine with two up flying down a dual, but attach even a small trailer and a hard drive followed with so much gear changing.

Made me yearn for my BX TZD, which, although it was just 1760 turbo, pulled the caravan better than the C5.

Having said all that, I know the C5 we had was well below par because the engine, rear suspension and so many other parts were replaced under warranty.

It was Citroen's acknowledgement we had a deficient car.

citroenxm
Global Moderator

Post by citroenxm » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:07 am

A good comparison again..

IF the C5 was a 90bhp then compared to a BX TZD Turbo wich was ALSO 92bhp then the BX will win hands down..This is down to the weight difference as Im sure your fully aware.. The C5 is about the weight of 2 and a half BX's in one, so 90bhp would struggle with extra weight on the back.. The BX was well, simple a Go Cart with no weight! :lol:

I loved mine too at the time!

Paul

Others

Peter.N.
Global Moderator

Post by Peter.N. » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:18 am

We had a TZD turbo estate, its performance at the time was phenomenal for a diesel, I think the hatch must have been in the 'hot hatch' league. My wife used to drive it and finds the 1.9 turbo ZX quite slow in comparison, and its a smaller car.

The 2.1 engine is ideal for towing as it develops a tremendous ammount of torque at low revs, even before the turbo comes in, making it ideal for pulling away with a lot of weight. The 2.5 is probably even better but the 2.1 has much greater pulling power at low revs than the 1.9.

Peter
'96 'N' 2.1 td VSX manual estate White RP6695. Sadly gone
2008 C5 2.0. Hdi Estate, Red
2008 C5 2.0. Hdi Estate Silver

Located in Charmouth, Dorset

citroenxm
Global Moderator

Post by citroenxm » Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:34 am

Peter,

We are possibly talking HDi 90bhp engine - which is comparable to the Xantia 1.9 unit.. the HDi 110bhp however, I THINK equals the 2.1 12v unit in figures.. Ive not driven a 2.1 Manual very far to compare them just yet..

Paul

Others

Richard

Post by Richard » Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:23 pm

CitroenXM, ref an earlier post about the differences between S1 & S2 cars, what are the chief differences, please.

I've read recently about some horrendous electrics problems with S1, but is there more to it than that