Declare it Dead !

Off topic chat about anything you like. Doesn't have to be about XMs (though they will inevitibly come up!). You can even discuss non-Citroens :o in here!
xmexclusive
Global Moderator

Re: Declare it Dead !

Post by xmexclusive » Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:43 pm

Hi Ciaran and All

Ciaran if you can start that section then as soon as I have signed up I will start to post up here all my personal items that I had copied to Club-XM over the years. Will take a bit of work and editing so do not expect it to appear overnight. Perhaps we should have a priority poll so you can tell me not to put any of my rubbish up. More seriously add in consents and posting action from those already on board here and I think we are talking about over 50% of all the posting made on the old site. My view now is that even if Club-XM comes back live it just solves the history issue, we just leave it and use it as a reference source but post new here where we can control the ownership and long term future ourselves.

John

Ciaran
Site Admin
Orga / RP numbers: 1234

Post by Ciaran » Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:11 pm

Hi John,

I'll create the section and forum now, I'll also get the moderation group created tonight for the other stuff.

Re the content, I'm happy to assist with pulling acrosss things other people have posted (with their permission), and inserting it into the relevant sections here. Of course in terms of whats relevant and whats not, you would know better than me, however I suppose if irrelevant stuff is posted its easily removed by the people monitoring the content quality in those sections, and we're better looking at it than not.

Ciarán

CitroJim
Citroen God!

Post by CitroJim » Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:36 pm

Chris Light's assertion that he owns the site and everything in it bothers me a little. Many, many posts have been the result of many hours of hard work and painstaking research by individual members and is often completely new and original research. These members have been kind enough to share this for the common good. Some of my stuff appears on both my own website and has been posted (by me) in more than one forum. I'd be most unhappy if anyone claimed any sort of ownership of that work simply because I'd posted it in an open forum.

It's hard to find anything positive out on the Internet but as far as I can find, copyright and ownership of any forum post remains with the Original Poster. In posting into a public forum or website it has been released to the public but not into the public domain unless explicitly stated to be so. It's similar to publishing a book. It's viewable but strictly legally, nobody else can make use of that information without the permission of the OP/authour.

Therefore, it looks like the only stuff that Chris Light does own is his own 7 posts.

As I see it, anything you have contributed to any forum and is your own original work, you are free to publish on any other forum or website as you so wish. You should not re-post anything belonging to anyone else unless it is with their express permission or has been declared to be in the public domain. Forum posts, by default, appear to be not in the public domain.

So, against that background, anything that is your own work it would appear you are quite at liberty to repost on here.

As time permits I'll be reposting my 4HP20 stuff in a tidied up and updated form and a little later, a post on replacing a V6 cambelt.

This is just my interpretation. I'm no legal-eagle so I may not have all the finer points quite right.
Jim

'98 Saxo
'95 AX
Three bikes - Road, Aero and TT

Ex- owner of several XMs and many Xantias!

xmexclusive
Global Moderator

Post by xmexclusive » Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:00 pm

Hi Ciaran and All

Ciaran please add in a section for them to give their former posting name. It is possible that people have chosen a different name here and I also would want to minimise the risk of false permissions from the nets crackheads.

On the numbers of posting side of things I can give some stats that may help to put a few minds at rest over how we are doing so far.

Of the top 10 posters we have 9 on board and those 9 alone account for 34% of the posting.
Of the next 10 posters we have 5 on board with those accounting for 12% of the posting.
Of the next 10 posters we only have 3 on board accounting 5% of the posting.

That alone is over just over 50% of all posts.

There are another 20 of us signed up that will have made a significant contribution, just not reached the 300 posts point that I could quickly do the stats on.

John

Ciaran
Site Admin
Orga / RP numbers: 1234

Post by Ciaran » Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:06 pm

Hi John,

I was thinking of making a 'Sticky' thread asking them to post to it and declare their name. I could make it appear globally, like that 'The Future' announcement, or just have it as a stick at the top of the Content forum only, which do you think would be more helpful?

That's very encouraging with the statistics :)

Ciarán

xmexclusive
Global Moderator

Post by xmexclusive » Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:23 pm

Hi Jim

Just read your post. We are very close to being on the same wavelength on the ownership issue. The one bit I think you may have missed is that Chris Light also owns all the items and design work that went into the individual web pages. Most of that is very easy to avoid in reposting and we are unlikely to want or need it anyway even if we had his permission. The difficult bit is if our postings were to be pasted directly from a copy of his website. That carries the risk that you bring over accidentally some small element of his web page work. A risk best avoided if we can. I hope we can bring Noz in with us. He is the missing one in the top 10 and gave the site significant technical contribution until very recently as well as his moderating work.

John

xmexclusive
Global Moderator

Post by xmexclusive » Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:31 pm

Ciaran

Sticky thread will be fine.

John

onthecut
Citrobics expert

Post by onthecut » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:07 am

Old forum still down.

Party surely over, methinks.

Mike.

kenhall
Citroen go-to-guy

Post by kenhall » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:24 am

Don't write off Club-XM just yet. Have a look at this
http://club-xm.com/forum2/index.php?sho ... entry37996

Ken

Dean
Global Moderator

Post by Dean » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:27 am

And i thought it was starting to look like club xm was gone for good.........

D
92 Citroen XM Prestige 3.0i Auto R.P5678
14 Mitsubishi L200 Trojan
89 Talbot Express 2.0 coach built Auto-trail Chinook

Addicted to Crackanory