Who needs a CD player?

Off topic chat about anything you like. Doesn't have to be about XMs (though they will inevitibly come up!). You can even discuss non-Citroens :o in here!
drtim
Knows how to use the parking brake

Re: Who needs a CD player?

Post by drtim » Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:16 pm

Ok I guess you could listen to the cricket over the internet with the iPhone!

Even my current soon to be replaced phone plays music but I have found it tends to run the battery down a lot
so only really use it for music in real emergencies

Still I have done detailed a/b comparisons and mp3s do not sound as good as wavs over any 1/2 decent sound system.
Memory cards aint big enough to have loads of WAVs hanging around.
XM 2.0i Prestige (Red) 1992 K reg RP 5692 RIP
XM 2.0i Turbo Ct VSX (blue) 1996 R Reg RP CJ 7135

DerekW

Post by DerekW » Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:59 pm

"Still I have done detailed a/b comparisons and mp3s do not sound as good as wavs over any 1/2 decent sound system.
Memory cards aint big enough to have loads of WAVs hanging around."

One of the (many) disadvantages of advancing years is that you tend to lose the higher frequencies, the last check I did (about 15 years ago in the kids' section of the Science Museum) anything over 8k was lost. It must be worse now as I can't even hear the tick of a watch, so sound quality is a relatively low priority :lol: .

Funny thing is, the music still sounds exactly the same :D , must be my memory filling in the gaps.

Derek
2000 V6 Exclusive, black. RP 8362
2004 C3 Exclusive Sensodrive,the wife's. She doesn't like it.
1995 ZX 1.8 auto, the latest replacement, she loves ZX's. Peace at last.

rowanmoor

Post by rowanmoor » Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:20 pm

drtim wrote:Even my current soon to be replaced phone plays music but I have found it tends to run the battery down a lot so only really use it for music in real emergencies
That is not a worry with the iPhone. It just existing runs the battery down a lot so you have to have it plugged in so much of the time that you won't notice the difference playing music :lol:

Before anyone accuses me of being anti iPhone, that and the over controlled AppStore are my only criticisms of them really. It is a fine piece of design. If I didn't already have a large investment in WinMobile apps/setup then I would probably have one by now.

Now you all have me wondering about replacing my radio with one that takes digital media of some sort. Must resist...Must resist... I only play CDs a few times a year and they are mostly the same 3 kids ones. There I don't need one...Do I?
Rowan

94M XM 2.5 TD VSX Estate RP 6430 Forest Green

colinxm
Has changed a sphere or two

Post by colinxm » Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:32 pm

On Derek's recommendation I've just bought one of these units on ebay from the same seller, 71 euros inc postage. Hope the customs don't knobble me :shock:

Colin.P
1995 Cit XM 2,1 TD Silver Estate - deceased :-(
2004 Opel Vectra Estate
2008 Kia Ceed td
1989 Pug 205 Cabriolet
1998 Ford Puma
1979 Triumph TR7

DerekW

Post by DerekW » Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:35 pm

Hi Colin, I do hope you're pleased with your purchase. The seller put a custom declaration form with "electronic $20" on mine - it arrived by registered post with no extra charge.

Derek

colinxm

Post by colinxm » Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:08 pm

Thanks Derek, that's nice to know :D

Regards Colin.P
2004 Opel Vectra Estate
2008 Kia Ceed td
1989 Pug 205 Cabriolet
1998 Ford Puma
1979 Triumph TR7

drtim

Post by drtim » Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:48 pm

andmcit wrote:Gowd, tapes Tim! For a lad that used to record the latest charts off the radio and tape to tape
my own compilations, my ipod and iphone have been a whole moonshot shock to the system.
Dean, for something the same size as my wallet, with my iPhone I have my entire music collection
in nifty technicolour with coverflow yet also have my own mini video player and internet access,
a tidy camera for most tasks I want to picture and it also manages to allow calls too!! :lol:

Andrew
The iPhone also has a massive single point of failure, the touch screen.
I guess you could listen to the cricket on the internet over 3G on it to make up for lack of LW radio though.
I have some experience with 3G though and Ill take my chances with LW coverage anyday.
XM 2.0i Prestige (Red) 1992 K reg RP 5692 RIP
XM 2.0i Turbo Ct VSX (blue) 1996 R Reg RP CJ 7135

andmcit
XM Guru

Post by andmcit » Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:59 pm

I never said the iPhone was "the best" mobile handset in the world although I love using mine and have no
problems with the touch screen; in fact when I used my iPod touch when it first came out a year or so
back it was a truly superb experience and I certainly got a buzz from the almost breathtaking experience
of using the touchscreen interface - in fact I still do!

Anything else feels clunky and cumbersome. The single most genuine criticism has already been mentioned
with the appetite for battery power but I spend a whole chunk of my time with a computer (handy usb port)
nearby on a mac keyboard or the car charger anyway so it's no big deal!!

As with everything, there'll be big fans (like many here with Xm's) and their detractors.

Andrew

colinxm

Post by colinxm » Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:25 am

Hi Derek,

Can I pick your brains/compare notes ?

After a couple of months with my unit I too am well chuffed except for a couple of things :o The music reproduction has a very tinny/electronic edge to it that I can't get rid of, my son has also bought one and his is just the same.

Also, have you been able to get the "Naviextras toolbox" to recognise either the unit or the sd card that houses the prog - it looks as if the "IGO8" program has been pirated :roll: , I can't get mine to cooperate no matter what I do...

Cheers Colin.P
2004 Opel Vectra Estate
2008 Kia Ceed td
1989 Pug 205 Cabriolet
1998 Ford Puma
1979 Triumph TR7

DerekW

Post by DerekW » Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:50 pm

Hi Colin, have you tried adjusting the pre-amp equaliser? Mind you, as I posted previously I am developing an age related tin ear where music is concerned :D .

I can't find a Naviextras toolbox, just GPS - Music - Video - Photo - EBook - Flash (what's that?) - Games - Tools (contents, calculator and unit exchange) - Setting - GPS info.

What problem are you having with Igo8? I believe the supplied program doesn't include speed cameras but I think everything else is included. If you wish I'll put my program onto a CD and post it to you. It's set up to my preferences but includes speed cams, buildings and terrain.

Derek