Buggrit - anyone have some spare 2.0 exhaust valves?

Off topic chat about anything you like. Doesn't have to be about XMs (though they will inevitibly come up!). You can even discuss non-Citroens :o in here!
andmcit
XM Guru

Re: Buggrit - anyone have some spare 2.0 exhaust valves?

Post by andmcit » Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:47 pm

Some jobs that seemingly appear straightforward ARE actually a right git! I'll take back what I said
in my previous post as the flywheel lower guard DOES come off although it did feel like I was
removing half the bellhousing. After that it was a fat load of benefit as the locking teeth tool won't
fit it unless you leave it only engaged in half the depth of the teeth - not a good plan. So, the
approach of locking the starter ring gear through the starter opening wedging the tool into the
main bellhousing could be the way forward but it is far from confidence inspiring.

That's not the main issue this evening though as I'm not happy with the play on the 22mm socket I
have to undo the bolt - the plan is the get an decent tight fit impact socket design and potentially
an alternate bar to lever it as the current one seems too close to the subframe. I've NEVER had so
many hassles undoing a crank bolt as I have with this one - I haven't yet needed to tackle this
particular job on a 2.0i petrol turbo sol it's all part of the learning curve in Xm ownership. :x

Andrew
Last edited by andmcit on Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kenhall
Citroen go-to-guy

Post by kenhall » Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:42 pm

Here is my homemade flywheel locking tool which has been used successfully for one XM and two ZX cambelt changes. Overall length is about 145mm. Note the offset to allow the teeth to line up with the starter ring when it is double bolted across the starter aperture.

Ken

andmcit
XM Guru

Post by andmcit » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:03 pm

Thanks Ken, a picture really does tell a 1000 words! It's a fearsome looking bit of kit and not
something that'd leave any prisoners. It looks a bit better than the spindly Franklin tool too.

Actually needs a little tag with "EXHIBIT A" on it! :? ;)

Andrew

robert_e_smart
Global Moderator

Post by robert_e_smart » Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:48 am

It looks like a very old torture instrument.
1990 XM 2.1 Turbo SD
2008 Volvo V70 D5 SE Lux Automatic
2009 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Automatic

Dieselman
Global Moderator

Post by Dieselman » Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:14 pm

Andrew
Try locking the flywheel as best you can then fit an impact socket and handle onto the bolt with the handle resting horizontal.
Then from above place a long steel bar down onto the ratchet handle/breaker bar a few inches out from the pivot and whack it hard with a lump hammer from above.
This should crack the bolt free no problem without making the crank turn.

I only found this site last night after the club-xm forum ceased...still no XM..but you're all igniting the flame again.... :x :evil: :D
92 2.1SED M.RP5740 ECZ Sable Phenicien
92 3.0 V6-24.Rp 5713 EXY Black
92 2.1SD M.RP 5685 ENT Blue Sideral
Prev
90 2.1SD M.RP 5049 EJV Mandarin
92 2.1SD A.RP 5698 EJV Mandarin
94 2.1SD A.RP 6218 ERT Triton Green
91 2.0SI M.RP 5187 EWT White

kenhall
Citroen go-to-guy

Post by kenhall » Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:27 pm

It looks like a very old torture instrument.
You have found me out! It's actually one half of a medieval chastity belt. ;)

Ken

andmcit
XM Guru

Post by andmcit » Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:55 pm

Well, the hassle of the job evaporated when I threatened the engine with some no nonsence tools!

The existing toolkit was supplemented by a more substantial deep reach impact socket with no scope
for slippage which combined with a 3/4" drive bar and Franklin flywheel tool wedged firmly into the
starter ring through the starter aperture, the bottom bolt finally kind of begrudgingly let go with a
worrying rubberyness rather than a crisp snap and then finger tight undoing. It felt exactly like a bolt
on the brink of shearing actually and had a drag on the thread requiring firm leverage pretty much all
the way undone. The thread was very oxidised - a surprise as the service history shows recent timing
belt... hmmmmmm, so that's why the tensioner was totally mullared and let go of things then. :| :(

I may be imagining things but another check of the cup followers on the valve's has me a tad concerned
that the outer exhaust valves could be fractions of a mm lower than their corresponding inlets which
could suggest problems with the valves and their seating. The whole lot may yet be a garden ornament
even with a newly fitted waterpump/belt/tensioner. I've run the engine but not driven it yet to see if
it's a slug or not. :x :?:

At the moment I'm just glad the damned thing works again and may have to brace myself for a proper
head stripdown and replacement valves when the inclination (and MOT emissions test) beckons.

Andrew

andmcit
XM Guru

Post by andmcit » Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:48 pm

IT LIVES!!!

I may have dodged the bullet with this one after all, heaven knows I need some luck. It's not drinking fuel,
(well no more than it usually does anyway :lol:) seems sprightly enough and doesn't smoke under load. Ok, so
I'm not totally 100% that there may have been some damage somewhere and maybe I wasn't just imagining the
slight differences between the follower cup heights beneath the cam on the inlets next to the suspect outer pair
of exhausts...

so what was the first journey I did to roadtest the new timing belt/engine timing/water pump and general buggering
about under the bonnet!?

Call it a momentary madness (getting on for 20 years now) where in a weakened mental state....... etc etc etc...

A round trip of 200odd+ miles with a car transporter trailer with a full load on the return leg! :lol: 8-)
Hey, that's what the AA card is for and (touch wood) the cars ALWAYS only play up near/at the main basecamp
here rather than out and about. :roll:

And before anyone mentions it - I did get called to task on my improvised numberplate by plod determined to put
right all the ills and injustices in the world. :roll: The guy gave me (a graphic designer by trade) a lecture on fonts,
letter spacing and numberplate legibility too but I didn't give any 'lip' and just got a pink slip - I don't know if it's 3 strikes
and you're 'out' mind!! I guess if I'd not bothered improvising with some black tape and feigned ignorance at the loss of my
rear numberplate, I'd have been informed of the unfortunate loss and that's it!!

Bloody hopeless last week when I did call them and they came during work hours the next day when I was at work;
anyhow, another story for another thread.

Andrew

andmcit
XM Guru

Post by andmcit » Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:54 pm

Incidentally, on ebay just a few days back, some NEW 2.0 exhaust valves were offered on a buy it now!!
Yes, all THREE of them!! :lol: :lol: do'h!

BTW; Moral of the numberplate scenario - never OVERestimate the power of the cabletie!! :x

Andrew

Dean
Global Moderator

Post by Dean » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:13 pm

Hi Andrew

Glad to see you got it up and running, i dont want to piddle you off but i had to change my 18month old tensioner :evil: (best not to dwell on it) and belt this evening and it took me the grand total of 1h 18mins, and yes im sad and timmed myself :roll: Your a braver man than me though, my first trip wouldnt be to tow a trailer :shock: , you obviously have more faith in your work :D .

D
92 Citroen XM Prestige 3.0i Auto R.P5678
14 Mitsubishi L200 Trojan
89 Talbot Express 2.0 coach built Auto-trail Chinook

Addicted to Crackanory