Computers!!!!

Off topic chat about anything you like. Doesn't have to be about XMs (though they will inevitibly come up!). You can even discuss non-Citroens :o in here!
demag
Knows how to use the parking brake

Computers!!!!

Post by demag » Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:45 pm

At long last I think I have finally shaken off my Windows woes! :D I had an old magazine copy of Linux Fedora 9 and installed it onto a backup pc I had lying around. It's quite nice to use and not dis-similar to XP. I used Mozilla Thunderbird to bring my emails in from Outlook Express after a bit of trial and error. And for some reason browsing with Firefox is a doddle compared to the nightmare it was trying to use it with Windows. Once this pc was up and running I turned my attention to my No1 pc. I saved all my important files to disc then formatted the hard drives and tried to install Fedora 9. Well no matter how hard I tried I couldn't get it to install for some reason :| I made another search and found a copy of PCLinuxOS I downloaded last year. This installed fairly painlessly and looks more like Windows than Fedora! I have Thunderbird running on here also and have played a few Mp3's on the media player as well. Generally speaking browsing is lightning fast and the only (few) problems I have are graphical in that some of the screens appear to be too large for the monitor and I can't work out how to resize them yet. Also I'm not sure if I'm running the correct graphic card drivers. AFAIK Linux graphic drivers tend to be generic as the main software houses are slow to respond to their needs. Its early days but I'm quite liking the experience and with further use I'm sure I'll become more adept. :P
2.5td......Now sold.
BX1.6TXS
Fiat Multipla 115Elx Jtd (Not quite standard!)

Dave.

Ciaran
Site Admin
Orga / RP numbers: 1234

Re: Computers!!!!

Post by Ciaran » Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:28 pm

Well done on taking the plunge, Linux isn't bad at all if you have time to learn and a wee bit of patience.

I have to say, the distributions out now have come such a long way from the old 'compile everything yourself', command line install fun of old :lol:
I configured manys a server like that on early RedHat distros and the like, and just getting the thing to boot was an achievement in itself, let alone having a GUI OS :lol:

Come to think of it, I've never had a GUI Linux distro in this house, all my servers that still use it are command line only. Have used a few of the more recent ones just to try them though.

You've hit the nail on the head about the only real issue you'll have with Linux - driver support. Most of them tend to be cobbled together and self written by enthusiasts groups and the like, so unless you run nothing but mainstream hardware, you may find you have to do a bit of digging to make your stuff work. All part of the fun though, and it does teach you a few things :)

Ciarán

Featch
Can find the S1 radio

Post by Featch » Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:54 pm

I use Ubuntu on my desktop and eeebuntu on my Asus eeepc and once I'd readjusted my mindset a bit I really like Linux. I'm still not brave enough to loose Windows off my main laptop mainly because there is a lot of software I like that doesn't have a Linux alternative. I've been trying Windows 7 installed on a partition and so far it appears to be a major improvement over Vista except there are a few driver issues..... but then I'm no expert.
Andy

XM 2.0 Turbo Auto Exclusive. Silver '96. Awaiting a little TLC.
Xantia 1.8 LX 16v. Red '95. Hibernating in a Welsh barn.
ZX 1.9 TD Aura. Red '94. Daily flier. A pleasant surprise.
Fiat Punto 55S '96 (Oh Dear!)

http://www.featch.net

Ciaran
Site Admin
Orga / RP numbers: 1234

Post by Ciaran » Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:29 pm

I have one of those ASUS Eeeeeeeee PCs too, though it has XP on it and not Linux. I've often wanted to try the Ubuntu version.

The main reason I stick with Windows on my 'production' machines is for some of the reasons you mentioned, i.e compatibility with some programs etc. This is amplified by my work, I repair machines for people and often have to work with their data, documents etc, I need a Windows machine to hand and can't afford to mess around trying to get devices and drivers to work.

That, and the fact that over many years I've really perfected XP, and its extremely fast and stable for what I do now.

I've been using Windows 7 at work, and am of the opinion that its what Vista should have been. Its definitely a vast improvement, and I would actually consider installing it. Vista, no chance.

Ciarán

demag
Knows how to use the parking brake

Post by demag » Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:01 am

Well my graphic problems persisted which was very annoying and browsing was a real pain due to the extremely slow page refresh. I logged onto the PCLinuxOS (PCLOS) forum, and just like this forum there are many wonderful people with a wealth of experience available to help idiots like me :oops: . One member's dogged persistance eventually found the problem. He sussed I was trying to run my fairly modern system on an out of date version of PCLOS and it wasn't capable of supporting all my hardware. Last night I downloaded the 2009.1 iso, installed it and all of a sudden, after what seems like years of problems with this pc, it is now perfect. :mrgreen: If you've ever thought of ditching Windows there really are alternatives now so give it a go. You won't be disappointed.

Dave.
2.5td......Now sold.
BX1.6TXS
Fiat Multipla 115Elx Jtd (Not quite standard!)

Dave.

citroenxm
Global Moderator

Post by citroenxm » Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:52 am

Ah ha!! I have ALSO just in the last two weeks junked windows 2k off my desktop and put on Linux with Ubuntu!

Best this Ive done! I have to say though, I ONLY really do Internet browsing (firefox), copy my OWN CD's to MP3 for my MP3 player, pictures and videos off my phone, and thats about it!

Email comes from Gmail, and so is internet based!

Best thing Ive done so far! Ive still got XP on my laptop for the moment, but if all goes well, that will go too..

Paul
Projects:(eventually if theres any bodywork left)
93 L Xm 2.1t D auto project
93 L xm V6 12v Sei Manual

Others
In use.. 1995 M reg S2 2.1td auto exclusive