printers

Off topic chat about anything you like. Doesn't have to be about XMs (though they will inevitibly come up!). You can even discuss non-Citroens :o in here!
terry g
Knows how to use the parking brake

printers

Post by terry g » Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:45 am

totaly off topic, but, anyone know how to reset the ink levels on a lexmark X5650 ?? just filled my cartriges but the printer says empty :evil: they seem to be getting like epson, i had an epson the was costing a cool £1,170 per liter for ink?? and i thaught the government were ripping us of,lol, :o

Peter.N.
Global Moderator

Re: printers

Post by Peter.N. » Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:07 am

Hi Terry

I have fitted a 'continious ink system' to my Epson, works a treat, about £30.00 I have re set it at least three times and there still looks to be plenty of ink, but it has your problem, what I have to do is pull out the cartridge assembly and re insert - that fixes it.

Peter
'96 'N' 2.1 td VSX manual estate White RP6695. Sadly gone
2008 C5 2.0. Hdi Estate, Red
2008 C5 2.0. Hdi Estate Silver

Located in Charmouth, Dorset

terry g

Post by terry g » Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:49 pm

tryed reinserting the cartrige no joy, even taped over the pins to hide it and hopefully fool the memory ,several times, aparrently the cart has a built in serial no, and the printer itself has a memory that can hold several numbers, ?? :(

Peter.N.
Global Moderator

Post by Peter.N. » Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:06 pm

Oh dear :( I chose my printers on the cost of replacement cartridges, the one I have now, an Epson R285 had very reasonably priced ones, what I didn't know was that it uses six of them! Hence the bulk ink system.

Peter

terry g

Post by terry g » Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:40 am

going to check out these new kodak, printers, the inks are £6.99 black, and £6,99 for all three colours, guarenteed to print lots more pics than most other printers? they start at£100,00, i only got the lexmark cos it can send fax,s whilst printing as well,, i can see me ending up with a room full of priners,lol

bobhalliday
Has changed a sphere or two

Post by bobhalliday » Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:46 pm

Hi.
I've had umpteen Epson printers, all with the same problems. Ink runs low and printer has to be reset. Now I've had a Samsung Laser printer, a CLP-300 and it is a brilliant colour printer. It won't print photo's like an Epson photo printer but Boots or Tesco can do that for me off my SD card. :D
Bob.
1996 Admiral Blue XM from New RP6612 N***YBL
1992 Green XM estate as stand-by. RP5623
We are all Falkirk 'Bairns'

I thought I saw light at the end of the tunnel, but it's an express train coming this way!!!!
--

Gone, but never forgotten.

xmaddict
Can find the S1 radio

Post by xmaddict » Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:12 pm

how much are you printing as the carts for my R.series only cost 9 quid for all six..........I have to print at full photo all the time so I go through a fair amount in a week..........2-3 sets.............ive had most of the R series and a couple of cannons..........the ink I use is good and the carts are not the low yield type either.........the only thing I found usefully from the lemark range was the software which is tied to each printer individually (pain)(put software in then dump the printer) lexmark are too thirsty mate change to Epson. lexmark use oil based ink in heater type carts I think so refills are not advised as they naff up the printer gradually. problem with Epson is when you do as much printing as me you hit the dreaded service message quickly which is around 60 quidish to get Epson to service your printer. the reset program that is used is not available free anywhere on the net but can be bought. roughly one reset then the printer starts to get iffy so its best you get a new un or pay for Epson to service it. if you reset your carts remember that the ink cleaning pad inside the printer fills up and then the printer will not run no matter how many times you reset.(don’t tilt the printer or you get a mess of ink all over the place as well..). also the dx series uses 4 carts which are still cheap generically but uses more ink up faster than the R seies so get a separate scanner as it works out cheaper in the long run. If you can afford it get a colour laser but the toner carts are expensive but much better reproductions but if you are doing a lot of prints stick with the epson inkjets r265 or r360 if you can find one or the r285. the inksets are cheap(9-10 quid for all 6 carts) if you use glossy paper do not go over 210 g/m2 wheight as any thicker and epsons rollers wear out quicker and start playing up. there is a few of us in a group up here that print an awfull lot of full colour prints per week (several hundered sheets of glossy) so we know what we are talking about. strangely enough the best little inkjet printer i ever had was an epson r220. by the way taping over the pins wont work as the printer needs to see the pins to even work. and continuous ink set is good but you still need to fit a sponge kit at certain intervals. or modify the printer to feed ink from the waste through a small pipe modified therough the side of the printer....i have one that is modified in this way but after 3 years its starting to naff up..(noisey and worn rollers). but it has done an awfull lot of work (thousands of prints)

Peter.N.
Global Moderator

Post by Peter.N. » Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:35 pm

The first set of cartridges were I think about £12.00 but this continious ink system cost about £30.00 and I have reset it three times so far but it stopped printing black about half way through the 3rd reset, I tilted the containers and it has started working again - had not thought to check the ink. I have just ordered 6 bottles of 100ml of each colour for around a tenner which will give me at least another three cartridges worth.

The old Epson printer i had, a D65 I think gave me stirling service, I must have used 50 or more sets of cartridges in it before the transport system started playing up, first it wouldn't pass A5 without slipping then it started doing it on A4, hence the replacement.

Peter

Ciaran
Site Admin
Orga / RP numbers: 1234

Post by Ciaran » Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:02 am

Did you know the usual cause of the transport in them slipping, is very simply that the rollers get dirty, and no longer have a precise grip on the paper.

If you can endure the fiddly pingfukkit fest that taking one apart no doubt is, giving the rollers a good clean with a suitable solution usually fixes it.

We have some 200 printers at work, a fair whack of which are 8/9 year old HP Laserjets. Everytime they begin to incessantly paperjam, a clean of the rollers sorts them out no bother..

Ciarán

xmaddict
Can find the S1 radio

Post by xmaddict » Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:53 pm

its hard enough getting people to defrag a pc.........when i am sent out to sort em out my usual comments i get are...."whats defragment" or "it was working fine when we got it" or the classic "we paid £xxxx for it and it was the best you could get so it shouldnt have gone wrong yet its only a year old" so getting em to run cleaning solution on their printer rollers ......... "far too technical for us" would be the comment. most of them develope paranoic tendencies when you mention simple maintanance and start to refer to things like "we will have to buy a new one" or " its broken fix it" i get fed up of explaining to them it aint broken its just not had its maintainance done and i then proceed to sort out their pc for the next 7 hours and get peanuts for doing it. if your around that many workstations and printers etc i think you may have a good idea what i mean. funnily enough a thought just popped into my cranium. if all owners of cars treated their motors like their pcs i think most of the cars on the road would be dead within a year or so. so its a great pleasure to see these forums with people careing sooooo much for their cars. well most of us that is :roll: god bless em!