As an aside...

Off topic chat about anything you like. Doesn't have to be about XMs (though they will inevitibly come up!). You can even discuss non-Citroens :o in here!
demag
Knows how to use the parking brake

Re: As an aside...

Post by demag » Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:50 pm

On a slightly lighter note. I received this email tonight! :roll:

"Friends"

This really works...!

If you don't believe it, just try this experiment.
Put your dog and your wife in the boot of the car for an hour.

When you open the boot, which one is really happy to see you?
2.5td......Now sold.
BX1.6TXS
Fiat Multipla 115Elx Jtd (Not quite standard!)

Dave.

mouseflakes

Post by mouseflakes » Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:09 pm

Andrew,

I hope both you and your pooch make a rapid return to better health.

As for the nasty attacks both you and Richard have suffered - absolutely despicable. I hope the perpetrators are stopped by those with the authority to do so.
Tim

1969 R16 GL - welding up
1978 R30 TS - resting up
1996 Saxo D - commuting up (?)

onthecut
Citrobics expert

Post by onthecut » Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:21 am

Andrew

Commisserations on your situation. We've completely lost the plot in this country in terms of dealing with the trash who make people's lives a misery. Truly ironic that so many kids ramble on about 'respect', when in truth it's one of the things most of them don't possess an atom of, when it comes to others. If you have neighbours who are also suffering similarly, try and get together with them and press the local plod and, maybe, involve the media. It's much harder to ignore a determined group than an individual. Really makes you wonder what you pay your rates and taxes for.

We have two or three local little s***s (doesn't everywhere, now?) whose current aim is to destroy some newly planted trees on the way from school. As I happen to be about most days at the relevant time, they stop short of actally breaking them when I go out to them, but then it's a stream of effing and blinding and 'what are you going to do'. One thing that is noticeable however, is that if either of my lads are about, (18, 21) it's a very different game, as I suspect the miscreants fear they won't play according to the rules either.

The tragedy in all of this is that by and large you really can't blame most of the kids initially---- it's the absence of any effective parenting for prolonged periods that leaves them with no moral compass, as far as I can see. Sadly, they then progress to adulthood with all those shortcomings.

I'd bring the stocks back. I suspect one thing that really does get through to most of these people is humiliation and being laughed at -- and I'd let them have it in large doses, until aggravating other people ceased to be such a funny pastime.

Hope things improve for you.

Mike.

rowanmoor

Post by rowanmoor » Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:49 am

I do hope the police take it seriously. I can understand them saying 'you have no evidence, not a lot we can do yet' and I presume they suggested the cameras to catch the culprit.

But I would class loosening wheel bolts as attempted GBH or even attempted murder as the likely outcome is going to be injury to someone (not necessarily you either - could be the poor person driving next to you on the motorway). I have a nasty feeling that they will not want to do anything about it though - I hope I am wrong.

Of course a Citroen will cope better than many cars in such a situation.
Rowan

94M XM 2.5 TD VSX Estate RP 6430 Forest Green

bitonthesidexm

Post by bitonthesidexm » Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:57 am

Andrew - I feel for you. I was in a similar situation a good few years ago. I lived next door to a nice couple until he went off with a younger model and she met a real headbanger. The details aren't important but it got so bad I reacted. There was a right row going on one night about 0100 hours. I had had enough and went next door. He wouldn't answer the door so I slapped the window with the flat of my hand - he opened the window and put his head out! Oops big mistake! I started to drag him out and the slapper was trying to drag him back in! It wasn't until Julie my wife started yelling "you'll kill him" I calmed down a little. I had totally gone and don't know what would have happened if I had got him through the window! We went out the next morning with my cd player left in the house at full bore, went to see some new houses and put our name down for one. It was fairly quiet after that but staying there was out of the question. Shame really as it was where I grew up.The other neighbour made me laugh after by saying that she didn't realised that I swore that much!
Ironically enough I saw one of daughters for the first time in 11 years yesterday- she wouldn't look at me! I wonder why????????? :lol:
1994 XM Turbo Onyx in black.

Richard

Post by Richard » Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:47 am

One thing we hear a lot of these days is rights. It seems to me everybody has a stack of rights awarded them, except middle aged tax payers.

But there's a deliberate blurring of the edges here.

Strictly speaking, a right is inalienable, it cannot be broken. Now, the only right that cannot be broken is the right to die!

Everything else can be modified according to the state's wishes.

What we're actually talking about is privilege. We have the right to be treated with respect by doctors etc., but that can change as circumstance warrants or the NHS budget tightens. Therefore, it's a privilege. We have the right to see our medical records, but that can change or be modified too!

Children's rights are particularly galling. Now, I'm not saying they're all wrong, but a lot over done. My six year old grandson did something wrong the other week in our home. I told him off. He replied, 'I've got rights, you can't touch me.' My reply was, 'try this for size.' Smacked him by the ear (not hard, but enough to get his complete attention, and sent him to bed! 'This is my home, and that's my right.' (Even at six he has the makings of a villain)

These weeks on, he does seem to have got the point. But it's only bad schooling and parenting that have given him the opinion he's a god, and untouchable. Better he learns the lessons of life now than get to sixteen and learn the hard way.

That's my two cents any way

citroenxm
Global Moderator

Post by citroenxm » Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:43 pm

Andrew..

My thought are with you! I DO NOT trust anyone these days untill I REALLY get to know them properly first..

:x :cry:

Paul!
Projects:(eventually if theres any bodywork left)
93 L Xm 2.1t D auto project
93 L xm V6 12v Sei Manual

Others
In use.. 1995 M reg S2 2.1td auto exclusive

Richard

Post by Richard » Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:03 pm

Seconded

andmcit
XM Guru

Post by andmcit » Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:57 pm

I must thank you all for your thoughts and commiserations on my sitution - I'm normally very
upbeat and optimistic but lately have had my anger/patience stretched.

Well, one of those clever chappies skilled at dent removal has seen pictures of the dent on
the silver 2.1 TD and is making confident noises about a decent PDR or Painless Dent Removal
for a £100. Having been stitched up with compulsory excess on the insurance far North of this
I'm just going to get on with the repair and will report the results here. May need to keep the
guy's number handy on my phone library, I'm going to be a good customer if he can deliver a
tidy repair... :evil:

Mind, he works on mall the Jags/RangeRovers etc so here's hoping.

Andrew

Richard

Post by Richard » Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:15 pm

Yes, keep us posted Andrew, and take care