Help with LCD Monitor

Off topic chat about anything you like. Doesn't have to be about XMs (though they will inevitibly come up!). You can even discuss non-Citroens :o in here!
bobhalliday
Has changed a sphere or two

Help with LCD Monitor

Post by bobhalliday » Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:07 am

Hi all.
Anyone in the forum using an ADI 17" A701 Microscan monitor ? Mine has been a really good monitor for the past 5 years except the power supply quit last year. Maplin sold me a power unit which worked okay for 4 months then it quit, they gave me another but that quit again yesterday. The people in Maplin reckon the voltage of their power supply is okay at 12 volts but the amps may be wrong at 5amps. I know my original power unit was at 12V but I don't know what the amps should read and wondered if anyone in the forum would have one to compare. It might be the Monitor at fault but I got no indication of this, I just went to switch on each time and the power was dead. :(
I'm working with a laptop for now and it is dedicated to Vista Home Premium and It hates my guts! It will hardly do anything I want it to do and loses all my files and photo's somewhere within! :o :o
1996 Admiral Blue XM from New RP6612 N***YBL
1992 Green XM estate as stand-by. RP5623
We are all Falkirk 'Bairns'

I thought I saw light at the end of the tunnel, but it's an express train coming this way!!!!
--

Gone, but never forgotten.

steelcityuk
Citrobics expert

Re: Help with LCD Monitor

Post by steelcityuk » Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:11 pm

Hi Bob,

You check for the spec plate on the back of the monitor or if you have it the owners manual. Maybe a 5 Amp supply isn't enough long term (that's only 60 Watts) and unfortunately it's something manufacturers skimp on. Such power supplies tend to have a hard life because they're generally in a sealed enclosure that does nothing cooling wise and as such they slowly cook.

I can't even get to ADI's website sorry.

Found specs here - http://www.lemcomputers.com/adi/adi-lcd ... lsA701.pdf

According to that the panel only uses 48 Watts but it depends on how the PSU Maplins was rated, if it was 5 Amp peak then that could be the problem. An old CB power supply could be ideal if a little large.

Steve.
XM 2.1 SED K Plate - RP5876
Scenic 1.5 dCi 100
Gone -
Scenic 1.9 dCi 130 FAP
Prius T Spirit
XM S2 TCT Exclusive Hatch LPG
XM S2 2.5 VSX Estate
XM S2 2.1 VSX Hatch
Xantia 110 HDi Exclusive
Pug 405 GTX TD

Ciaran
Site Admin
Orga / RP numbers: 1234

Post by Ciaran » Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:30 pm

The volts aren't so important as the unit will only draw what it needs, so say your power supply was 20v, and the monitor needed 18v, it would be fine.

The current however, is very important, and if the output of the power supply is too much it could damage your equipment. If its too little, it could cause the power supply to burn out (which is very likely what's happened, repeatedly). Maplins have been a bit irresponsible there just giving you any power supply in the hope it will do, its certainly not the case.

/EDIT: Sorry, was typing that on and off for ages (busy at work), and didn't see Steve had already replied.

bobhalliday

Post by bobhalliday » Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:07 pm

Thanks Steve and Ciaran,
It was more my fault likely, my first power unit was in a TV shop getting checked and the repairman said it was duff. I then bought one from Maplin but didn't ask about the amps on my old one, and in fact told him to dump it. I'm useless with electrics and never gave the amps a thought. :cry:
I have every book on everything electric in the house except for this monitor, and there is not one spec written on the monitor. Maplins did offer me a third one but fairs fair after all, it could be my fault entirely and for the time being I can access everything on my PC from the laptop, when I can find it! :?
Thanks all.
Bob.

I thought I saw light at the end of the tunnel, but it's an express train coming this way!!!!
--

bobhalliday

Post by bobhalliday » Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:25 pm

Sorry! I should have read the all of the specs too supplied but I had been chasing around Google for two days getting nowhere with ADI so didn't expect to find what you found Steve. Maplins power unit was a 60 Watts and my old one was rated at 48 Watts so shouldn't the Maplin one have been strong enough?
Bob.

--