Curious Restoration Issue

Off topic chat about anything you like. Doesn't have to be about XMs (though they will inevitibly come up!). You can even discuss non-Citroens :o in here!
onthecut
Citrobics expert

Curious Restoration Issue

Post by onthecut » Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:56 pm

Just looking at the £50k Drophead Cit. in Ebay classics -- lovely looking piece of kit, no expense spared blah, blah, etc.etc.

Get down the list a bit and you have to tighten the flywheel every 200 miles because the Woodroffe key is worn -- naff second gear, oil leaks, plus others. If you have gone to all the trouble they have apparently, how can you possibly accept such a fundamental, yet easily rectified flaw ?
My suspicion would be that, in fact, there is wear to the shaft -- maybe initially caused by a loose key letting the flywheel wander about a little. Either way, just couldn't stick such a basic, yet easily resolved problem.

Mike.

citroenxm
Global Moderator

Re: Curious Restoration Issue

Post by citroenxm » Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:58 pm

Flywheel or crank??!!!

That means gearbox off every two hunderd miles? mind you (I assume a DS, ive not looked yet) the gearbox is on the front, does that make it easyer? Oh no, its engine and box out for a clutch change..

Paul
Projects:(eventually if theres any bodywork left)
93 L Xm 2.1t D auto project
93 L xm V6 12v Sei Manual

Others
In use.. 1995 M reg S2 2.1td auto exclusive

demag
Knows how to use the parking brake

Post by demag » Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:04 pm

The box does actually come out on its own to change a clutch, I've done one. It's still a major job though and if my memory serves me well there are lots and lots of 6mm pins around the bell housing with that strange idea of Citroen, 11mm heads! :lol: Thinking about it that's probably how I buggered my back up in the first place! :lol: It took a week to do the job on my own, just had a lift to shuffle the box back in. As is usual with a DS, the first job was to disconnect the headlight linkages and remove both front wings. :lol: It was almost routine for every job on the car. "To adjust the tappets, first remove the near side front wing" :lol: :lol: . Well not quite that bad but I was pretty expert at getting them on and off. :D
2.5td......Now sold.
BX1.6TXS
Fiat Multipla 115Elx Jtd (Not quite standard!)

Dave.

citroenxm
Global Moderator

Post by citroenxm » Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:10 am

So why dont the "Expert" DS people say the box will come out alone??!!

Thats an interesting discovery there!

Never been close to a DS - a dream I guess, will have to goto a Show/Rally! Must do.....

Paul
Projects:(eventually if theres any bodywork left)
93 L Xm 2.1t D auto project
93 L xm V6 12v Sei Manual

Others
In use.. 1995 M reg S2 2.1td auto exclusive

demag
Knows how to use the parking brake

Post by demag » Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:08 pm

I actually did two but both four speeds. So whether a five speed is a bit longer and won't come out I don't know. Take some cash with you Paul..........you might be tempted! But don't expect Xm handling :D . However to experience the legendary "magic carpet" ride it has to be a DS and nothing else!
2.5td......Now sold.
BX1.6TXS
Fiat Multipla 115Elx Jtd (Not quite standard!)

Dave.