Can this be right? Silly short C1 clutch life

Off topic chat about anything you like. Doesn't have to be about XMs (though they will inevitibly come up!). You can even discuss non-Citroens :o in here!
terry g
Knows how to use the parking brake

Re: Can this be right? Silly short C1 clutch life

Post by terry g » Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:07 pm

my 2.5 has done 160.000 miles and is just showing signs of the clutch wearing, ie, its either in or out, and not mutch between? but not slipping or to heavy? cant say the same about the handbrake tho, its usless with these new types of pads (acording to the late AURTHER C CLARKE they use ground cashew nut shells???)

onthecut
Citrobics expert

Post by onthecut » Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:38 am

terry g wrote:my 2.5 has done 160.000 miles and is just showing signs of the clutch wearing, ie, its either in or out, and not mutch between? but not slipping or to heavy? cant say the same about the handbrake tho, its usless with these new types of pads (acording to the late AURTHER C CLARKE they use ground cashew nut shells???)
I think it's granite dust, or similar, they use. If your handbrake is naff it's just worth making sure you don't have a cable seized or seizing. The outer sheath is very prone to splitting where they constantly flex and in the end, moisture may do the inevitable. I think in any event mind they are a poor arrangement and if you definitely want it on tight it's best to keep the footbrake down while applying the handbrake.

Mike.

citroenmad
Citrobics expert

Post by citroenmad » Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:28 pm

A friend of mine had a Pug 107 from new, that needed a clutch at about 40K miles. Another mate had an Aygo which needed replacement at 35K miles.

However both people have a habit of holding the car on the clutch at junctions etc, which wont help matters and will shorten the life of the clutch.

Maybe this is part of the reason, its mainly a town car, which is usually where people can give clutches a very hard time.

Clutches dont seem to last as long on modern cars, especially with the dual mass flywheel, it seems a common thing now, especially with people being trained the above technique when learning to drive, it all adds to a shorter clutch life. Not to mention i can imagine the size of the C1 clutch, maybe like two digestive biscuits rubbing together :lol:
Chris.
64 C1 Feel 5 Door
S2 Xantia Exclusive 2.0HDi 110 Estate - Mauritius Blue
S1 Xantia 2.0TCT Activa - Silver
77 Ami 8 Saloon
04 Rover 75

CCC Xantia Files Columnist.

steelcityuk
Citrobics expert

Post by steelcityuk » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:04 am

I'm with CM on this. The number of people I know that sit at junctions with either the pedal down or slipping the clutch is unbelievable. Either isn't a good idea in my opinion. If tempted I think of the cost and/or work involved in replacing them. These are the same people with low mileage cars that do less than 3K a year.

I'm hoping they're to usual Toyota standards as the wife gets her 107 next week.

Steve.
XM 2.1 SED K Plate - RP5876
Scenic 1.5 dCi 100
Gone -
Scenic 1.9 dCi 130 FAP
Prius T Spirit
XM S2 TCT Exclusive Hatch LPG
XM S2 2.5 VSX Estate
XM S2 2.1 VSX Hatch
Xantia 110 HDi Exclusive
Pug 405 GTX TD