bought myself a Citroen BX!

Off topic chat about anything you like. Doesn't have to be about XMs (though they will inevitibly come up!). You can even discuss non-Citroens :o in here!
endorfin
Citrobics expert

bought myself a Citroen BX!

Post by endorfin » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:12 pm

Bought myself a Citroen BX 1.7TD on ebay, it's got starship miles at 269k but with full MOT. Hope I haven't made a mistake! It didn't cost much more than scrap value so can't really lose out. Going to pick it up tomorrow.

I need to go and get the vehicle transported up to Wales where it's going to be stored until I can make space for it down here, normally I could use my breakdown membership to get it transported up as the car will be mot'd taxed and insured, but according to the seller it's all in running order apart from a slight leak from the high pressure pump so unless I can find something wrong with it I can't see how I can get my breakdown services to take it up. I would drive it but I'm driving the XM up this weekend, can't drive 2 cars!

Is there a BX forum?

messerschmitt owner
Could do a 2.1 headgasket

Re: bought myself a Citroen BX!

Post by messerschmitt owner » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:37 pm

Yes the bx club is very active. I sold my bx as I realised it was nowhere near as much fun or as comfortable as the xm is.
Image[/url]
IMG_0865 by messerschmitt owner, on Flickr

andmcit
XM Guru

Post by andmcit » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:43 pm

Take the ball bearing out from behind the bleed screw on the accumulator and probably even the best Citroen
mechanic in the world will be stumped about why then car won't pressurise up bar swapping the pump! ;)

endorfin
Citrobics expert

Post by endorfin » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:56 pm

andmcit wrote:Take the ball bearing out from behind the bleed screw on the accumulator and probably even the best Citroen
mechanic in the world will be stumped about why then car won't pressurise up bar swapping the pump! ;)
Where do I find this, I've never had a BX before. Do I need to get underneath the car?

andmcit
XM Guru

Post by andmcit » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:20 pm

No - purely in the engine bay from above.

The accumulator/regulator sat on the front of the engine in front of the gearbox
(cylinder body with a sphere on the end) has a bleed screw you're only supposed
to turn half a turn to vent air/bleed circuit. If the unwary unscrew it all the way off
like a normal bolt, a tiny ball bearing will drop out which is essential for the system
to pressurise up and lift the car. Downside would be some Muppet dragging the
exhaust off and/or damaging the bodywork. You could try and pre-empt this by
chocking the car up with bits of timber and say you're very worried about the relay
catching the flat on it's belly car underside?

Watch mind, some roadside rescue guys may have heard of this one before...

Peter.N.
Global Moderator

Post by Peter.N. » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:05 pm

We had several BXs the best was the TZD turbo estate, went like a rocket and nice comfortable seats, I think my wife would like another one.

Peter
'96 'N' 2.1 td VSX manual estate White RP6695. Sadly gone
2008 C5 2.0. Hdi Estate, Red
2008 C5 2.0. Hdi Estate Silver

Located in Charmouth, Dorset

citroenxm
Global Moderator

Post by citroenxm » Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:07 pm

You might have to get at the regulator from underneath.. i had a tzd turbo in black.. Iirc there was hoards of pipes in the front you couldn't see the regulator from above..

where in Wales are you storing, north mid or south? Im in The north...
Projects:(eventually if theres any bodywork left)
93 L Xm 2.1t D auto project
93 L xm V6 12v Sei Manual

Others
In use.. 1995 M reg S2 2.1td auto exclusive

robert_e_smart
Global Moderator

Post by robert_e_smart » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:11 pm

Bxs are class. I really like mine.
1990 XM 2.1 Turbo SD
2008 Volvo V70 D5 SE Lux Automatic
2009 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Automatic

endorfin
Citrobics expert

Post by endorfin » Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:12 am

North! It will either be stored on my brother's drive in Denbigh or if my mother is agreeable in her barn on her farm in Abergele for the winter.

Got the car recovered without too much trouble, it's on it's way. I'll be there myself this weekend so will be able to have a bit of a play. The car would start up, and rear would rise (it sinks immediately after engine is off, anti sink?) but car would often cut out and be difficult to start. Diesel was bubbling out of the filter filter pump button so could be the diaphragm has gone porous (anyone got a spare? they look similar to the XM diesel ones) It looks to be in fairly decent condition, with little indication of the miles it's done.

Here's a photo:

citroenxm
Global Moderator

Post by citroenxm » Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:22 am

Yea i might have one... the other thing you could do is upgrade the thermostat house to a xantia type with the fuel filter on it.. SOOOOOOOOOOO much easyer to service then.. The last K reg txd models had then cant see why the turbo cant...

ah yur only down the road from me! does yur mum want to rent a barn out for storage?? :lol:
Projects:(eventually if theres any bodywork left)
93 L Xm 2.1t D auto project
93 L xm V6 12v Sei Manual

Others
In use.. 1995 M reg S2 2.1td auto exclusive