CRASHED! Nearside saloon ABS trailing arm totally KNACKERED!

Off topic chat about anything you like. Doesn't have to be about XMs (though they will inevitibly come up!). You can even discuss non-Citroens :o in here!
andmcit
XM Guru

CRASHED! Nearside saloon ABS trailing arm totally KNACKERED!

Post by andmcit » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:09 am

Shit happens! Tonight at 12:30 am in the TCT K plate saloon...

OK. first time EVER I've had an off on an innocuous roundabout in the wet coming home from
the barn tonight. I wasn't doing the regulation 30 (probably high 30's) I genuinely wasn't doing
much more - I'm carrying a load of kit in the boot that probably didn't help, combined with a
greasy surface that had just had a hard spray of rain and add a dash of diesel on the roundabout
and hey ho, 180 degree clip into the kerb knackering both nearside 24v alloys which were running
near new BF Goodriches.

The main damage is the nearside rear wheel where the complete hub had levered itself off the
rear arm having clouted a high kerb sideways - the wheel has bulged the outer skin of the rear
wing although it sounds worse than it actually looks.

I NEED A REAR NEARSIDE ARM WITH S1.5 ABS - a rear subframe I have spare doesn't have ABS!!

Obviously I'm not a happy bunny and am very annoyed with myself. If I wasn't carrying a huge
tonne of goods and chattels in the back I probably wouldn't have had a squeak out of the rear
end but I did and it did!

Anyone able to help with an arm please, pretty please.

Andrew
Last edited by andmcit on Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:19 pm, edited 4 times in total.

andmcit
XM Guru

Re: Saloon nearside ABS trailing arm WANTED!!

Post by andmcit » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:36 am

Yes, I'm a numpty - it feels reeeaaallly bad from where I'm sitting now. :|

I guess my indestructible/invincible feeling when driving an Xm got me a tad complacent
without considering all the stupid weight in the boot that no doubt had a massive pendulum
leverage on the back end = add a slimy roundabout opposite a Petrol Station in the rain and
there are all the makings of a disaster. :-(

I'd love the get the thing on it's feet again asap - it's just too nice still despite the nasty things
I've managed to do to it of late. :cry:

Andrew

robert_e_smart
Global Moderator

Post by robert_e_smart » Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:27 am

Sorry to hear about your mishap Andrew, I did something similar to my dad's C5 lately when it jack-knifed with a trailer on the back, car ended up facing the other way, and trailer hit back wheel and wing, plus force of trailer pushing car over kerb on other side, as a result, the rear wheels are at an odd angle, and they don't turn, the brake disc on the side of the car where the trailer struck was broken.

So its a waiting game with the insurance to see if the thing is written off or not. 2006 C5 2.0 HDi, only worth £6.5k, its hit or miss.

Good luck getting her back to form again
1990 XM 2.1 Turbo SD
2008 Volvo V70 D5 SE Lux Automatic
2009 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Automatic

jonathan_dyane
Has changed a sphere or two

Post by jonathan_dyane » Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:20 pm

Bad times :-(

If it makes you feel any better, I managed to do the same thing with my sisters 2cv a few years ago (which was the only time ever in about 100 000 miles driving A series cars I ever experienced losing the back end.) Unfortunately I over corrected, lost it the other way then got a front wheel in the verge, which pulled me into a metal fence ensnaring the bumper, smashing the wing and bending back the suspension arm. At least you have escaped panel damage, it's just frustrating, particularly when you know you could/should have possibly anticipated...
Jonathan.
2004 Saab 9-5 Aero Estate
1979 Citroen GS 1220 Club Estate
1999 Yamaha FZS 600 Fazer
1991 Kawasaki GT-550
1986 MZ ETZ 250

andmcit
XM Guru

Post by andmcit » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:56 am

Sadly, there is panel damage Jonathan - the rear wheel got wrenched off the hub by the leverage of it's lower
part hitting the kerb and bulged the wing out as it escaped! :(

The good news now appears to be the rear subframe I have does in fact have ABS arms - I hadn't realised the car
that I broke had that level of equipment. The bad news is there's more amiss on the front nearside wheel/hub.

This caught the main impact initially whilst the car was going at it's highest speed before washing off the speed/
energy through the whole car and swinging the rear around which then hit the kerb. The front wheel appears to
have a shattered disc in behind it and there's a noticeable toe in and camber lean on the bottom of the wheel.
I'm not 100% whether the wheel has buckled THAT badly or the lower wishbone has bent (which is possible as I've
seen this before) OR worse, the subframe mounting point has bent which would do a good job of writing the car off. :|

Andrew

jonathan_dyane
Has changed a sphere or two

Post by jonathan_dyane » Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:37 pm

Balls, I missed that :(

I would have thought it unlikely that either the subframe or its mountings would be damaged, but I guess you won't know until you get further into it. The disc having shattered implies movement having occurred at th bearing/hub, I'd try on another complete strut/knuckle assy and see how it looks before condemning the lower wishbone. At least thats a spot of luck having an ABS rear arm.
Jonathan.
2004 Saab 9-5 Aero Estate
1979 Citroen GS 1220 Club Estate
1999 Yamaha FZS 600 Fazer
1991 Kawasaki GT-550
1986 MZ ETZ 250

Ciaran
Site Admin
Orga / RP numbers: 1234

Post by Ciaran » Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:52 pm

Shit Andrew :(

Sorry to hear about your mishap. As Jonathan says, its just very frustrating, but I'm sure you did what you could in the circumstances, you just react as best you can, and no one can really predict what the outcome will be.

I hope your front subframes Ok enough to repair, it sounds like you already have most of the bits to sort out the rear.

A nasty incident none the less, but at least it should be repairable.

My sympathies, there's no worse feeling than pranging your pride and joy! :?

Ciarán

andmcit
XM Guru

Post by andmcit » Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:43 pm

I'll need to take pictures showing the severed rear hub/arm - you just wouldn't believe it. I always thought these
were indestructible. Years ago I needed to take evasive action to prevent a moronic 4x4 from hitting me head to
head as it passed with the regulation 2 feet on his nearside and steered into what I thought was long grass and
shrubbery but turned out to be a solid mound of stone/soil etc and the nearside wheel was slammed backwards
in the wheelarch and the lower wishbone was bent about 30mm out of true!!

There's a chance the mounting flanges for the wishbone are bent and I'm dreading removal of the front wheel
- there are remains of the front brake disk fragmented behind the wheel, but the only thing to do is bite the
bullet. I still need to come up with a plan of attack for the car's recovery and a suitable spot to have it AA'd
(or self collected with my trailer) to somewhere where I can work on it.

Yesterday had an equally intense hishap that managed to throw my world out of orbit but I'm not in a sufficient
state of mind to get my head around it and the consequences... :shock: :o :(

Andrew

andmcit
XM Guru

Post by andmcit » Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:56 pm

:( BROKEN CAR:

I really don't like the look of the massively cambered and way off straight ahead
nearside wheel when the opposite wheel is dead true straight... :cry:

Andrew

Ciaran
Site Admin
Orga / RP numbers: 1234

Post by Ciaran » Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:16 pm

Fuuuuck :o :o :shock: :(