CRASHED! Nearside saloon ABS trailing arm totally KNACKERED!

Off topic chat about anything you like. Doesn't have to be about XMs (though they will inevitibly come up!). You can even discuss non-Citroens :o in here!
rowanmoor
Knows how to use the parking brake

Re: WANTED nearside saloon ABS trailing arm totally KNACKERED!!

Post by rowanmoor » Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:13 am

Of course, adverse conditions like Diesel on the road will cause problems for the best handing sports cars as well as the rest of us.

Similarly when the powers that be decide to put loose chippings with only one small hidden sign on the dual carriage way on the last 20 yards of the approach to a roundabout down a hill which inevitably then spread round the roundabout I had to slow down rather a lot more than I would normally under rather unhelpful conditions. I did wonder if someone had escaped from the asylum and started working for the council that day.
Rowan

94M XM 2.5 TD VSX Estate RP 6430 Forest Green

citroenmad
Citrobics expert

Post by citroenmad » Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:58 am

Its only ever been in very poor conditions, usually on slimy roads but the front still gripped.

However it had a pretty shocking pair of tyres on the back at the time, pretty new but a poor brand, Lassa or something. The tyre dealer told me they were a brand of Bridgestone or something and were the only ones in stock, i really needed some so had no choice. It had rather fantastic Vredestien Sportrac 3s on the front (brand new) so i guess that gave it much more front end grip and little at the rear. Much better now with the tyres swapped front to back. Unfortunately it doesnt really do the miles (about 4K per year if its lucky) to wear out tyres, so the Lassas might be on the front for a while. Seem fine on the front, but they roll onto the sidewalls when being pushed as they are quite a soft looking tyre.

Before the tyres were swapped even my dad had the back end sliding out on a roundabout, and he is a much slower driver! Never had any complains from the back of the car since being swapped though.

Pirrelis on the manual are pretty good, never had a problem there, really good tyres, i would recommend those and the sportrac3s.

The C5 has Michelins, uses the same size tyres as both xms, its got older E3As on the back and the newer energysavers on the front. Really not a huge fan of them actually, the front end grips well even in the wet and ive never had a problem with the back end either but the energysavers have such a soft sidewall that they always look soft, the tyres wear out on the edges and the steering is really very numb (i know its a C5 but its totally lifeless). They dont half squeal when being tormented too! The fronts are about worn out and the edges about bald so i think ill be going for something else when the time comes, i dont rate michelins. Maybe some Pirellis or sportracs.

Also tyre pressures are a big factor on road grip too. Although very little helps if the conditions are unexpectedly slimy and slippery.

Chris.
Chris.
64 C1 Feel 5 Door
S2 Xantia Exclusive 2.0HDi 110 Estate - Mauritius Blue
S1 Xantia 2.0TCT Activa - Silver
77 Ami 8 Saloon
04 Rover 75

CCC Xantia Files Columnist.

andmcit
XM Guru

Re: CRASHED nearside saloon ABS trailing arm totally KNACKERED!!

Post by andmcit » Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:01 pm

I've never had any car slide before unless there was black ice and it was actually anticipated
- yes I've had a 'moment' with a Cx losing all four wheel's footprint and I don't believe tyre brand
or tread depth would have had any influence. I'd guess the same is true with diesel spillage on
the road - I know a few lads with motorbikes regularly moan about our rubbish roads and
apparently a lot of roundabouts can be deathtraps for the unwary. The best grip tyres are always
best on the rear axle in a bid to actually keep the car on the road - mine were almost brand new
BF Goodrich's although I'll be buying some Vredestein's next as I've had them on the 24v and other
v6's over the years although I've Continentals a good tyre too.
Andmcit having a RANT wrote:There are even sections of UK motorway that're apparently designed to be self draining and efficient
for grip but unlike the continental roads finished the same way they're not kept clean/clear and
the top surface simply clogs up with debris and rubber etc and actually stops working with more
lying water and less grip creating the exact opposite results to the original intent - everything in our
rubbish country is usually done on the cheap to the lowest joke tender and when something is done
properly it's sold short by poor follow up maintenance. People would be sacked for doing this in
Germany - seemingly we just put up with it!?
OK, rant over!

Anyhow, yes I did recover the 3 wheeled Xm myself Chris. It was a bit challenging and took a fair
bit of head time to plan a means for collection as the road it was stranded on is a very busy one
with no room to get a trailer near to winch it on - in the end I substituted the rear nearside
corner with my 3.5tinne big trolley jack and ever so carefully trundled the car forwards from it's
spot a few 100yards to the awaiting trailer where a bit of ingenuity got the cross eyes front wheels
and the jack and remaining good wheel up the ramps. In truth, I'd be lost without my trailer and big
trolley jack - the number of times they've got me out (and in) real predicaments!! :lol:

Andrew
Last edited by andmcit on Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Peter.N.
Global Moderator

Post by Peter.N. » Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:06 pm

I've never had trouble with grip on anything - I don't drive fast enough. :? :D
'96 'N' 2.1 td VSX manual estate White RP6695. Sadly gone
2008 C5 2.0. Hdi Estate, Red
2008 C5 2.0. Hdi Estate Silver

Located in Charmouth, Dorset

andmcit
XM Guru

Re: CRASHED! Nearside saloon ABS trailing arm totally KNACKERED!

Post by andmcit » Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:37 pm

Speaking of damaged 24v alloy wheels, had the seller not be an uncaring numpty miss handling them
these may have got a bid from me:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ALLOY-WHEELS-for- ... 0371762442

they may have been nice and scratchfree before the monkey dragging his knuckles also dragged one
rim across the face of another for a farty ebay picture. :evil:

Idiots.

Andrew

citroenmad
Citrobics expert

Post by citroenmad » Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:16 pm

Ive seen worse wheels adertised but maybe a light refurb would be in order.

Really odd price that, £74.75! Plus £29 postage, did they just pluck out random numbers :lol:

Chris.
Chris.
64 C1 Feel 5 Door
77 Ami 8 Saloon
04 Rover 75

Featch
Can find the S1 radio

Post by Featch » Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:16 pm

£65 + VAT @ 15% ;)
Andy

XM 2.0 Turbo Auto Exclusive. Silver '96. Awaiting a little TLC.
Xantia 1.8 LX 16v. Red '95. Hibernating in a Welsh barn.
ZX 1.9 TD Aura. Red '94. Daily flier. A pleasant surprise.
Fiat Punto 55S '96 (Oh Dear!)

http://www.featch.net

citroenmad
Citrobics expert

Post by citroenmad » Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:20 pm

Now why didnt i think of that :lol:

Still its quite random for an ebay add!

Chris.
Chris.
64 C1 Feel 5 Door
77 Ami 8 Saloon
04 Rover 75

DerekW
Knows how to use the parking brake

Post by DerekW » Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:46 pm

Andrew, getting off thread didn't you have your very expensive trailer stolen by some pikeys a while back? Was that ever resolved satisfactorily?

Derek
2000 V6 Exclusive, black. RP 8362
2004 C3 Exclusive Sensodrive,the wife's. She doesn't like it.
1995 ZX 1.8 auto, the latest replacement, she loves ZX's. Peace at last.

citroenmad
Citrobics expert

Post by citroenmad » Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:48 pm

I didnt think that was Andrew? :?
Chris.
64 C1 Feel 5 Door
77 Ami 8 Saloon
04 Rover 75