New Rubber, all change

Off topic chat about anything you like. Doesn't have to be about XMs (though they will inevitibly come up!). You can even discuss non-Citroens :o in here!
Dean
Global Moderator

New Rubber, all change

Post by Dean » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:48 pm

Hi all

I got some new tyres today, pirelli pzero nero, its been a while since ive had some proper tyres on the xm because i didnt want to spend silly money, and with 215 45 17's it is silly money :shock: untill the front end steering and suspension wasnt conspiring to tear the shoulders off everything it rolled on but what a difference!!! cornering at not that higher speed would result in tyre squeel and that 'understeer is coming' feel through the steering, the zero nero's are lovely though, much quieter than the events and a very noticable increase in performance and grip under braking, i was always happy with P6000's i used to have but these are far better.
Having said this though they havent been tested in the wet yet so it could all go downhill from there, but im hoping it wont!!
Has anyone else tried them? and if so what did you think

D
92 Citroen XM Prestige 3.0i Auto R.P5678
14 Mitsubishi L200 Trojan
89 Talbot Express 2.0 coach built Auto-trail Chinook

Addicted to Crackanory

Peter.N.
Global Moderator

Re: New Rubber, all change

Post by Peter.N. » Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:17 am

Hi Dean

I'm not really the one to ask, I think most people know my opinion of low profile tyres, but then I would be quite happy with crossply's! I dont care how the car handles - as long as it rides well. You obviously do though, but of course you'r much younger than me :D If they do the job, I'm sure you will be happy with them.

Peter
'96 'N' 2.1 td VSX manual estate White RP6695. Sadly gone
2008 C5 2.0. Hdi Estate, Red
2008 C5 2.0. Hdi Estate Silver

Located in Charmouth, Dorset

andmcit
XM Guru

Post by andmcit » Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:41 am

I was going to say that I'd wouldn't expect many Xm'ers actually run on 17"s Dean!! :?

Andrew

Jan-hendrik
XM Guru

Post by Jan-hendrik » Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:51 am

andmcit wrote:I was going to say that I'd wouldn't expect many Xm'ers actually run on 17"s Dean!! :?

Andrew
I concur. I suppose you chose the rubber to suit your driving style, Dean. The wheels will change not only the way you can thrash the car about, but also its looks. Probably not for the better. But that is down to taste, of course :lol: No offense, but personally I don't see the point :|
2000 XM 3.0 V6 24v Exclusive Auto Vert Vega - 86k km LHD RP8569

rowanmoor
Knows how to use the parking brake

Post by rowanmoor » Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:48 pm

They do change the looks, but having seen it in the flesh I think it does work very well. It helps that Deans car has showroom bodywork to match the wheels. It would probably not look quite the same on a dirty battered car.

Is it just me or have Mitchelin stopped making the Primacys in 205/65/15? Last time I had some done they put on Energies which I am not as impressed with - they don't seem to have the grip of the primacies, but are supposed to wear better. Looking on Black Circles they don't list any Mitchelin other than the energys for 205s or 195s.

People do seem to recommend Pirelli's on the XM. Pirelli's seem cheaper than Mitchelins as well. I may have to give them a go next time I need some.
Rowan

94M XM 2.5 TD VSX Estate RP 6430 Forest Green

Peter.N.
Global Moderator

Post by Peter.N. » Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:13 pm

Certainly, if you want a car that looks nice (mine seldom do, although I would like them to) then I think nice wheels enhance the appearance. I use my cars rather than look at them so I don't have the time.

Peter

rowanmoor
Knows how to use the parking brake

Post by rowanmoor » Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:50 pm

Dean does have a limited amount of road length without using a ferry though so it is quite understandable that looks come before use :lol:

I do far to many miles in mine to manage to keep it clean or looking nice. Every time I park in a supermarket I seem to get another dent as well :x I would like to know what is causing the white spots on my roof though. It looks like the lacquer is separating from the other layers of paint. There is a definite pattern to it though, as though something is causing it.
Rowan

94M XM 2.5 TD VSX Estate RP 6430 Forest Green

Peter.N.
Global Moderator

Post by Peter.N. » Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:16 pm

Hi Rowan

Lacquer seperation is quite a common problem with some colours, notably red, but I have never had it on a green one. :o

Peter

xmexclusive
Global Moderator

Post by xmexclusive » Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:31 pm

Hi Peter

If you look closely I expect you will find some on the green one now.

John

Dean
Global Moderator

Post by Dean » Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:32 pm

Rowan

I was looking for primacy's the other day and didnt turn up anything but then i couldnt find any P6000's either so i would assume they have both gone west or my search skills are appalling :oops: :D

Tbh i love the low profiles on the xm, still a fantastic citroen ride but it behaves much better in the bends, and bends are all i have over here! ride wise i just cant tell the difference between the originals and the low profiles, the originals give a vague feel to the steering over the first few degrees of steer at motorway speeds and if you drive swiftly on them they seem more prone to scrubbing the shoulders, thats about it, my transit has 140mm sidewalls and rides drain covers and rough surfaces with more noise and rumble transmitted than the xm and it weighs 1000kg more!

Anyway i will give these tyres a go and see what happens, im interested in what anyone has to say about their tyres though, looking for something thats exellent in the wet for the back end soon so not a summer tyre.........

D
92 Citroen XM Prestige 3.0i Auto R.P5678
14 Mitsubishi L200 Trojan
89 Talbot Express 2.0 coach built Auto-trail Chinook

Addicted to Crackanory