And it's all thanks to Ciarán!

Off topic chat about anything you like. Doesn't have to be about XMs (though they will inevitibly come up!). You can even discuss non-Citroens :o in here!
CitroJim
Citroen God!

And it's all thanks to Ciarán!

Post by CitroJim » Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:39 pm

Spurred and prompted by this forum coming on the air using phpBB3 I've been grafting away at getting the FCF up to phpBB3.

It's still very much a work in progress but you can view it here and if you hold a valid FCF login you can log in and play.

It's presently located on my own webserver and not yet on the main FCF and BXC webserver so if a lot of people descend upon it all at once it may run quite slowly..

It's up to gauge reaction from members and to track down any bugs before I move it to the main webserver and finally, if all pans out well, go live with it.

The data it contains was taken from the Sunday morning backup of the FCF so is out of date.

Feel free to play and do tell me what you think.

So, a big thanks Ciarán :D Without you bringing up the new Club-XM my plans to migrate the FCF and BXC would still be very much on the back-burner!
Jim

'98 Saxo
'95 AX
Three bikes - Road, Aero and TT

Ex- owner of several XMs and many Xantias!

Ciaran
Site Admin
Orga / RP numbers: 1234

Re: And it's all thanks to Ciarán!

Post by Ciaran » Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:28 pm

Well done Jim :D

I know you had a few misgivings about migrating with a database so large, but this has shown that its perfectly plausible, and seems error free.

So, get a date and get it up there to the live site :D

I'm glad you've gained some inspiration from this site, especially after all the help and hospitality we received over the road at your place!

If you need a hand with anything in the upgrade, please just let me know.

Ciarán

CitroJim
Citroen God!

Post by CitroJim » Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:41 pm

Thanks Ciarán :D

First question! How do you enable the "youtube" BBCode as you have on here?

The ACP is so much more powerful on phpBB3.

My own webserver is configured (purposely) as the forum VPS webserver is and one thing i wanted to test was the ability of phpBB3 to run under PHP 4.4.8. It does :D I needed to check that as my other test conversions had been conducted on a little test server build running PHP 5.

I'm surprised how fast it is considering the uplink is only running at 850Kb/s. I also have a test FCF running under phpBB2 running on my server (currently disabled) and that appears to run nowhere near as fast as phpBB3 does so maybe they've done some good code optimisation as well as adding lots of good features.
Jim

'98 Saxo
'95 AX

Ciaran
Site Admin

Post by Ciaran » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:20 pm

Hi Jim,

The Youtube BBCode I made is simply an embedding method, using the standard Youtube embedding HTML code, and just using a BBCode Text element to place the video ID into the appropriate place in the embed code.

The BBCode for it is this:

Code: Select all

[Youtube]{TEXT}[/Youtube]
...and the HTML:

Code: Select all

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/{TEXT}"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/{TEXT}" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>
Note you just splice in the {TEXT} parameter wherever you need the video ID code to appear.
You can create that on the BBCodes page under Messages in the 'Posting' tab of the ACP.

I do find this forum very fast on the bandwidth yes, the queries in particular seem highly optimised.

Something that interested me about the test FCF board there, how did you get the font colour selection swatch thing to appear down the right hand side of the posting window when writing a message?

Ciarán

CitroJim
Citroen God!

Post by CitroJim » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:35 am

Thanks, great stuff :D I shall implement later today...
Ciaran wrote: Something that interested me about the test FCF board there, how did you get the font colour selection swatch thing to appear down the right hand side of the posting window when writing a message?
To be absolutely honest Ciarán, I have no idea. It comes up by default both on here and on the test FCF when a new post of PM is composed :?

Speaking of PMs, I love how you can send a PM to multiple recepients :D :D
Jim

'98 Saxo
'95 AX

Ciaran
Site Admin

Post by Ciaran » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:05 pm

Didn't 'bb2 allow multiple PM recipients?? I didn't know that, that's quite bad actually! :?

As for the font colour thing, I get it if I hit the 'Font Color' button, but somehow on FCF it appears neatly at the side, yet here its along the top. Strange.... hardly essential, but its bugging me! :lol:

Hope the BBCode works out Ok, if you run into any problems just let me know.

Ciarán

CitroJim
Citroen God!

Post by CitroJim » Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:15 pm

The BBCode for youtube worked a treat :D

See it here: Youtube Demo

Excellent!
Jim

'98 Saxo
'95 AX