Ho-hum, dear me...

Off topic chat about anything you like. Doesn't have to be about XMs (though they will inevitibly come up!). You can even discuss non-Citroens :o in here!
andmcit
XM Guru

Re: Ho-hum, dear me...

Post by andmcit » Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:02 pm

Actually Peter, you may say that, but your comment has masses of irony for me! I've got a sister car to your now
mangled green one that's identical in every way (almost - barring the YBL number suffix) which I managed to render
useless a few weeks back by totalling goosing the clutch by buggrin' about being too optimistic towing up a real
killer of a near vertical hill AFTER I'd already managed to rearrange the design of the front end...

The other 2.1 TD manual (admittedly a s1) I have has a slipping clutch thanks to a potentially leaky crank seal that
must be allowing oil onto the clutch; some days it'll drive up the steepest hill about these parts and others it won't
climb the slightest gradient! :roll: :?

So manual or auto, they'll still mug your wallet although I'd fancy my chances with the fix it myself manual clutch
change over the near rocket science (or not depending on who you believe) autotrickery.

Incidentally, what fate befalls your green car's doors? I have the ideal candidate for straighter panels; that's
assuming the doors weren't mangled totally whilst swiping bollards and bus stops... :shock:
I like the maroon colour a lot too and there's nothing wrong with green either. Still this duff strut one has
a long MOT and shouldn't get too far past £150 I reckon!?

Andrew

terry g
Knows how to use the parking brake

Post by terry g » Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:17 pm

i have a couple of 1994 S2 strut tops that i am saving for future use, gladly lend one,if it will fit, i just wish i still had somewhere to store the car or i would have it, for the body pannels, as its the same colour as mine, and has the same trim, except for the dash, even has the same wheels as mine mine must be an early S2/late S1

Peter.N.
Global Moderator

Post by Peter.N. » Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:43 pm

Hi Andrew

I did the clutch on the black hatch, its not particularly difficult but in common with anything on an XM a lot of dismantling is required just to get at the gearbox. If you still have access to the old site, I think I did a help file on it.

As for the doors on the green one, although it was the front o/s that was hit, both n/s doors have dents, caused I think by a passing keep left sign, the o/s front door being the only one undamaged!

I really want to keep the car watertight as I suspect I shall be using it for spares for a long time.

Peter
'96 'N' 2.1 td VSX manual estate White RP6695. Sadly gone
2008 C5 2.0. Hdi Estate, Red
2008 C5 2.0. Hdi Estate Silver

Located in Charmouth, Dorset

jonathan_dyane
Has changed a sphere or two

Post by jonathan_dyane » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:35 pm

terry g wrote:i have a couple of 1994 S2 strut tops that i am saving for future use, gladly lend one,if it will fit, i just wish i still had somewhere to store the car or i would have it, for the body pannels, as its the same colour as mine, and has the same trim, except for the dash, even has the same wheels as mine mine must be an early S2/late S1
That's very kind of you Terry! AFAIK it would fit, the 3 variants being non-hydractive, hydractive, and hydractive 2.5 Diesel and the 'new' V6. I think...

Haven't made my mind on this one yet (really dunno if I could tolerate the colour) but if I decide to have a punt I shall send you a PM...
Jonathan.
2004 Saab 9-5 Aero Estate
1979 Citroen GS 1220 Club Estate
1999 Yamaha FZS 600 Fazer
1991 Kawasaki GT-550
1986 MZ ETZ 250

Dieselman
Global Moderator

Post by Dieselman » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:57 am

jonathan_dyane wrote:That's very kind of you Terry! AFAIK it would fit, the 3 variants being non-hydractive, hydractive, and hydractive 2.5 Diesel and the 'new' V6. I think...

Haven't made my mind on this one yet (really dunno if I could tolerate the colour) but if I decide to have a punt I shall send you a PM...
I'm not sure about this but aren't the 2.1 TD stuts the same size as 2.5 fronts, in which case the loaned ones would need to be that size. Can anyone confirm 100%.?

I have a confession. I have spoken to the vendor and quite like this car...but the Wife says No..!! We shall see... ;)
92 2.1SED M.RP5740 ECZ Sable Phenicien
92 3.0 V6-24.Rp 5713 EXY Black
92 2.1SD M.RP 5685 ENT Blue Sideral
Prev
90 2.1SD M.RP 5049 EJV Mandarin
92 2.1SD A.RP 5698 EJV Mandarin
94 2.1SD A.RP 6218 ERT Triton Green
91 2.0SI M.RP 5187 EWT White

Peter.N.
Global Moderator

Post by Peter.N. » Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:11 am

The best way is to take a complete strut, there not difficult to change and at least you know its going to fit.
'96 'N' 2.1 td VSX manual estate White RP6695. Sadly gone
2008 C5 2.0. Hdi Estate, Red
2008 C5 2.0. Hdi Estate Silver

Located in Charmouth, Dorset

citroenxm
Global Moderator

Post by citroenxm » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:34 am

No the 2.5 has its own size tops, but Im not 100% on that either, the safest thing is to take a strut and top... they are all the same size in the hub carrier..

I was lead to beleve the 2.5 and V6 are the same size, and the 2.1 TD and 2.oi Turbos are the smaller size ..

Paul
Projects:(eventually if theres any bodywork left)
93 L Xm 2.1t D auto project
93 L xm V6 12v Sei Manual

Others
In use.. 1995 M reg S2 2.1td auto exclusive

xmexclusive
Global Moderator

Post by xmexclusive » Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:50 pm

Hi All

Prior check or taking a paired set of head and strut is the only way to be sure of a fit.
Quite a number of XM's are already on replaced strut heads often aquired secondhand so the original spec might not apply.
I have come across the odd car with a mixed set as a result of this sort of repair.

John

kenhall
Citroen go-to-guy

Post by kenhall » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:53 am

My 2.1TD (RP7249 Sept '96) has the later type (bigger diameter top taper) strut tops as original fitments.

Ken

steelcityuk
Citrobics expert

Post by steelcityuk » Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:33 am

I'd have to be seriously confident to turn up with just a few tools. The first XM I bought was like this, I drove upto Glasgow with car trailer and the back of the Xantia full of tools and odds and sods. It was a pain just getting the Jack under the car. After replacing the strut the car wouldn't start due to an immobiliser fault. Wish I'd never sold it, 2.1 with a manual box on a S plate. The engine and suspension were lovely.

The other side was like this

Steve.
XM 2.1 SED K Plate - RP5876
Scenic 1.5 dCi 100
Gone -
Scenic 1.9 dCi 130 FAP
Prius T Spirit
XM S2 TCT Exclusive Hatch LPG
XM S2 2.5 VSX Estate
XM S2 2.1 VSX Hatch
Xantia 110 HDi Exclusive
Pug 405 GTX TD