I was considering having a wee go at this...

Off topic chat about anything you like. Doesn't have to be about XMs (though they will inevitibly come up!). You can even discuss non-Citroens :o in here!
citroenmad
Citrobics expert

Re: I was considering having a wee go at this...

Post by citroenmad » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:06 am

We are still contemplating an Xm estate, although i much prefer the looks of the Xm hatchback and the Xm is our hobby car and not a daily driver, an estate would be most useful ..... Now we have so many cars its getting very crowded here, so some of them need to go, unfortunately. Some cars are now not being used due to the fact it would take a while just to get it out to use, some space is needed. Its so hard to decide on what to sell though.

Atleast two cars need to go, and its a choice of the three 'spare' cars, the two Xms and the C5 estate. So do we sell the Xms and keep the C5 estate, which is so handy to have, especially for the dogs. Its a very safe car, which is always something to consider, very economical for such a large car and has a lot of toys. However its no Xm, which i much prefer to drive. Or do we sell the C5 estate and an Xm and still have our nice hobby car, which ever Xm we keep.

Which poses a problem in itself, which Xm to sell! Logic says the manual is the one to keep, as it should need very little doing to it over the next good few years, its in great condition and quite a rare find too. However the white auto is such a dependable car, in my opinion it looks better in white and its been with us for 7 years - its part of the family. Its still low mileage for its age but its not in the same condition as the silver one, its starting to show its age a little around the edges a now, although it would take very little to get it in mint condition.

Or there is the option of selling all three and finding a good Xm estate, then we still have an Xm but also a handy estate car.

The downsides of an Xm estate is that its near impossible to find a good one, or one which would suit us. By that i mean it must be a S2 and have AC to keep the dogs cool in the summer and also not to have a million miles and be in good overall condition, with some slight work expected. Seems a rare thing to find such a car. Engine isnt too improtant really, a diesel would be nice but the Xms do so few miles it doesnt really matter if its diesel or petrol.

OR, find some more parking :lol:

The Xm estate on ebay is very nice, thats exactly the kind of thing id be looking for. Air Con too!

Chris.
Chris.
64 C1 Feel 5 Door
S2 Xantia Exclusive 2.0HDi 110 Estate - Mauritius Blue
S1 Xantia 2.0TCT Activa - Silver
77 Ami 8 Saloon
04 Rover 75

CCC Xantia Files Columnist.

robert_e_smart
Global Moderator

Post by robert_e_smart » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:58 am

Get rid of the C5 estate, replace with an XM estate, and get more parking!
1990 XM 2.1 Turbo SD
2008 Volvo V70 D5 SE Lux Automatic
2009 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Automatic

rowanmoor
Knows how to use the parking brake

Post by rowanmoor » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:47 pm

If you are planning on selling an XM then wait to see what happens to prices next month now that they are all worth £2000 scrappage. It may have no effect or it may start to drive up rock bottom prices a bit.
Rowan

94M XM 2.5 TD VSX Estate RP 6430 Forest Green

Peter.N.
Global Moderator

Post by Peter.N. » Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:02 pm

Hi Chris

There are a few estates about but you have to be prepared to travel, which I don't mind as its a chance to drive my XM :D I once went to Edinburgh to see one - it was rubbish :x The silver Mk1 just sold in London went for £311.00 I think, with a dodgy gear linkage, looked a very nice car though, I had been tempted myself. Which model are you looking for?

Peter
'96 'N' 2.1 td VSX manual estate White RP6695. Sadly gone
2008 C5 2.0. Hdi Estate, Red
2008 C5 2.0. Hdi Estate Silver

Located in Charmouth, Dorset

xmexclusive
Global Moderator

Post by xmexclusive » Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:22 pm

Hi All

I was a bit confused by the mileage on that silver 2.5 estate. Potentially a very nice good spec well above average car. The advert seems to me to say that it had a new engine 42k miles ago and also that the car has only done 42k miles. I think I would need to resolve the real mileage, why it needed a new engine and the provenance of that replacement engine (new from Citroen with receipts engine number checked or recondititioned but new to the car).

John

citroenxm
Global Moderator

Post by citroenxm » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:02 pm

HEY GUYS!!

Watch it, your going off topic!!

This WAS a CX post... :lol: 8-)

Paul
Projects:(eventually if theres any bodywork left)
93 L Xm 2.1t D auto project
93 L xm V6 12v Sei Manual

Others
In use.. 1995 M reg S2 2.1td auto exclusive

citroenmad
Citrobics expert

Post by citroenmad » Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:07 pm

Yes i think the C5 estate will go first actually, dont know if we can bare to part with an Xm :shock:

Im quite prepared to travel, i once drove 700 miles in one day, a few years ago, to see an Xm estate, well to buy it actually, which was quite a heap to say the least. And having only done 1-3 miles between MOTs something was not right with that either. Im sure it would have been more than that just to the local MOT centre. Unfortunately i wasnt driving the Xm that day, but a 1.2 Seat Ibiza, of all things :?

Im not sure how much the £2000 scrappage thing will effect used car values. There are clauses which might effect that, like the fact you can only trade a car in, for £2000 scrap value, if your buying a brand new car, if your old car is MOT'd and if you have owned it for over 12 months. Its not really a scrap value, £1000 is met by the government and the other £1000 by the car maker. So we will have to see what effect that has.

I think it will be the white Xm which needs to find a new home, the silver one is the one to keep. Although if it doesnt sell so be it. I wont be listing it on ebay, ill try to list it through the Citroen clubs, id ideally like it to go to an enthusiast, as its a cracking car. Id hate to see it on ebay for breaking in a year or so because someone has not looked after it. Although for what its worth it seems silly to sell, but its the space which is needed, 9 cars is too many to have at our home, so the C5 estate is the easiest thing to sell at the moment.

I cant even remember viewing the CX which started this thread! On yes, its a white one, isnt it? :lol:

Chris.
Chris.
64 C1 Feel 5 Door
77 Ami 8 Saloon
04 Rover 75

citroenxm
Global Moderator

Post by citroenxm » Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:11 pm

Yes it was.....

The scrappage is also ONLY for a car that emits 150g co OR LESS!!!!!!! So thats tin boxes!!

Look im at it now! :x

:o

Paul
Projects:(eventually if theres any bodywork left)
93 L Xm 2.1t D auto project
93 L xm V6 12v Sei Manual

Others
In use.. 1995 M reg S2 2.1td auto exclusive

citroenmad
Citrobics expert

Post by citroenmad » Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:18 pm

The Cx does seem a reasonable price, although there is that damage i think its quite cheap. Looks a tidy car.

Really, i had not heard of that rule, well its a bit of a scheme which will never be in that case. Our older cars might be safe after all.

Chris.
Chris.
64 C1 Feel 5 Door
77 Ami 8 Saloon
04 Rover 75

Peter.N.
Global Moderator

Post by Peter.N. » Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:21 pm

I can't see it having a lot of impact, the alllowance is only against a new car, and how many people that are running cars valued at less than £2000 can afford a new car? I wouldn't even want one, there rubbish compared with the cars made in the '90s - especially XM's. Surely its got to be more energy efficient to keep the old XM going than to scrap it and make a new car - especially the diesel's. :D

Peter
'96 'N' 2.1 td VSX manual estate White RP6695. Sadly gone
2008 C5 2.0. Hdi Estate, Red
2008 C5 2.0. Hdi Estate Silver

Located in Charmouth, Dorset