Manual Turbo Petrol

Off topic chat about anything you like. Doesn't have to be about XMs (though they will inevitibly come up!). You can even discuss non-Citroens :o in here!
Dean
Global Moderator

Re: Manual Turbo Petrol

Post by Dean » Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:12 pm

Andrew, i believe Chris is a member of the scrub and polish club :D .
Good to have you back chris, how are the C5's treating you?

D
92 Citroen XM Prestige 3.0i Auto R.P5678
14 Mitsubishi L200 Trojan
89 Talbot Express 2.0 coach built Auto-trail Chinook

Addicted to Crackanory

Dieselman
Global Moderator

Post by Dieselman » Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:37 pm

I think white Xm's look great...My first one was white, next one forest green metallic.

Silver loses definition and shading so looks a little flat in comparison.
92 2.1SED M.RP5740 ECZ Sable Phenicien
92 3.0 V6-24.Rp 5713 EXY Black
92 2.1SD M.RP 5685 ENT Blue Sideral
Prev
90 2.1SD M.RP 5049 EJV Mandarin
92 2.1SD A.RP 5698 EJV Mandarin
94 2.1SD A.RP 6218 ERT Triton Green
91 2.0SI M.RP 5187 EWT White

andmcit
XM Guru

Post by andmcit » Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:56 pm

I wouldn't say silver loses definition. In fact, the opposite.

It's no accident that every car manufacturer uses silver as the colour they develop their clay model and fibreglass
prototype styling buck when creating and clinicing their various proposals and the reason a lot of new cars about
the place always look best in silver which after all, is what they were designed to look good in!! When the Xm was
launched, the predominant colour featured in all the roadtests, motorshow stands and ads was a sober gunmetal
grey so the guys marketing the thing must've had some idea what colour worked on their new design proposal.

In the end, the one thing that will always split and polarise opinion of the same car is going to be the the subjective
area of colour. Not engine, trim or model variant and at the end, nobody is right or wrong!

Andrew

citroenmad
Citrobics expert

Post by citroenmad » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:26 am

Andrew, I do of course mean that, really must pay more attention to what i write :lol:

The white one does stand out over the silver car, but silver is a nice colour too, actually its my preferred car colour. Looks good, doesnt show the dirt and its an easy colour to live with.
Dean wrote:Andrew, i believe Chris is a member of the scrub and polish club :D .
Good to have you back chris, how are the C5's treating you?

D
I try to be, one thing with the white ones is if you leave it for a while the next time it gets polished it takes a lot of effort to get to its best. Its worth it though and looks stunning once done. Its always spotlessly clean as it lives under a fitted car cover, so it has to be cleaned every time to avoid the cover scrathing the paint.

Actually we have sold the C5 estate now, it wasnt the best of examples i dont think. Very handy car though, especially for our dogs, we might get a facelift version at some point. It had a few problems over the 4000 miles we had it, one radious arm bearing was cracking which was replaced, the MAF went faulty, the dual zone climate went wrong with very hot air coming from the passenger side even though both sides were set to 16 with the AC on. Mainly it just didnt feel like a good one to drive, not compared to the C5 hatch anyway.

So at the moment we are having a bit of a change around with the cars in our house. We had collected a few and it was too many to live with easily, too tight to get them all parked out of sight from the road etc. Some could not be accessed easily so they were not being used, the van has hardly moved in months and the traction is getting there with its engine build and thats parked in a garage behind all of the other cars, so it needs to be easy to get out once its ready. At the moment we are thinning out our 'collection', the estate has gone and the silver Xm is up for sale at the moment. Its got a lot of interest and its actually sold pending payment, but we will see how that goes.

My C5 has been going very well, few minor things like a suspension leak and one sphere went hard, but i took it to France this summer and it was faultless.

Chris.
Chris.
64 C1 Feel 5 Door
S2 Xantia Exclusive 2.0HDi 110 Estate - Mauritius Blue
S1 Xantia 2.0TCT Activa - Silver
77 Ami 8 Saloon
04 Rover 75

CCC Xantia Files Columnist.