Im going to break the rules!!!

Off topic chat about anything you like. Doesn't have to be about XMs (though they will inevitibly come up!). You can even discuss non-Citroens :o in here!
onthecut
Citrobics expert

Re: Im going to break the rules!!!

Post by onthecut » Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:28 am

minijet wrote:.
Ken Newbold wrote:
Do you realise it's almost 10 years now since the demise of the late great SRN4s :cry:

I never went on Concorde either :( and now that's gone too :x

Funnily enough, the last couple of times we've been out pottering on the Oxford Canal have seen the restored (or very late delivery !) Vulcan flying by. I'm not particularly into aircraft, but that is an impressive piece of kit.

Mike.

normantilbury
Has changed a sphere or two

Post by normantilbury » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:26 am

I'm Into Helecopters the indooor type at the moment the .60 petrol for outside use was stolen out of my van overnight a few years ago,all the left me where the main rotor blades :(

Norman
98 Xm Vsx 2.1 Td Silver Estate RP 7548
Located in Lindley, Huddersfield HD3 3LX

Peter.N.
Global Moderator

Post by Peter.N. » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:33 am

A friend of mine came over a couple of weeks ago and asked if he could fly his plane in our field as there was plenty of space so hopefully he wouldn't damage it, he built it several years ago but had never flown it. When he did, it went straight up, over the house and crashed in the farm - one servo wasn't working, I don't think he did his pre flight checks. :cry:

Peter
'96 'N' 2.1 td VSX manual estate White RP6695. Sadly gone
2008 C5 2.0. Hdi Estate, Red
2008 C5 2.0. Hdi Estate Silver

Located in Charmouth, Dorset

Dean
Global Moderator

Post by Dean » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:04 am

:lol: yes ive done that a few times! First time was a scale piper cub, i did my pre flight checks and spent a day just taxing around the yard, sorting out the mixture and doing little hops, when the time came to get it in the air all was going well until a aileron servo came free from its mount and the plane just rolled uncontrolably onto the deck, i had to dig the engine out of the soft ground, needless to say the plane was a write off, the other casualty was an electric mustang which i set up as a slope soarer, basicaly just a glider, it flew very well and with a 20mph wind would do 100ft virtical climbs whilst rolling and fly as long as you wanted inverted, it flew like it had a motor off the slope but because there was no motor or battery pack up front it needed a lot of lead on the engine mounting to get the c of g right and during a rather impressive series of aerobatics the G force from the nose weight coupled with a year of hard use and stress snapped the engine mounting free, ripping the nose of the plane off with it in the middle of a roll, the result again was total destruction.
Best plane i had was a Kit built Hawk jet, made from built up foam, reinforced with ply spars and covered in class reinforced tape it was fantastic, if you are looking at learning to fly these things, slope soaring a foamie is the way to go, a few of us would go up the downs and spend the day dog fighting each other, you can litteraly let go of the controls and let it plough into the ground and it will be totaly unharmed.
Helicopters have always interested me but from what ive heard are a lot harder to fly than a plane, maybe one day i could progress to them but for the moment slope soarers are perfect, they will fly longer than any petrol/glo fuel model will and once you get the hang of it they will perform just like a powered model.

The hovercraft's down here are about to be replaced with nice new ones, ive been on them a couple of times and through work have been lucky enough to be on a chartered trip in one where they basicaly picked us up from portsmouth after a dealer event there and took us all on a 1hr joy ride up and down the solent, racing along various beaches, it is an amazing peice of kit!

D
92 Citroen XM Prestige 3.0i Auto R.P5678
14 Mitsubishi L200 Trojan
89 Talbot Express 2.0 coach built Auto-trail Chinook

Addicted to Crackanory

steelcityuk
Citrobics expert

Post by steelcityuk » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:21 am

I was flying a electric soarer last Friday on the field at work. It's only a Graupner Terry S but it's great to get out in the fresh air and sunshine (!).

I live on the edge of the Peak District so there's plenty of places around here with good lift and nice views. Maybe now the XMs done I can get out to them.

Nice looking aircraft that.

Steve.
XM 2.1 SED K Plate - RP5876
Scenic 1.5 dCi 100
Gone -
Scenic 1.9 dCi 130 FAP
Prius T Spirit
XM S2 TCT Exclusive Hatch LPG
XM S2 2.5 VSX Estate
XM S2 2.1 VSX Hatch
Xantia 110 HDi Exclusive
Pug 405 GTX TD

Dean
Global Moderator

Post by Dean » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:35 am

Yes steve i think thats half of it, just being out somewhere with a nice view, fresh air and peace and quiet is nice :D
And yes it is a very nice ship to fly too, dont know why i wimped out of flying it for so long :) .

D

Addicted to Crackanory

Dieselman
Global Moderator

Post by Dieselman » Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:22 pm

Dean, That looks like great fun and an enjoyable way to spend an afternoon.

Flying in an open space like that is a good idea. When I was a child we went to Blue John Cavern on a wet day and whilst standing in the queue watched a man flying a decent sized glider.
He let it swoop down over the carpark, lost control and it went straight through the back window of an Austin Maxi with a family sitting inside.... :oops: :lol:
92 2.1SED M.RP5740 ECZ Sable Phenicien
92 3.0 V6-24.Rp 5713 EXY Black
92 2.1SD M.RP 5685 ENT Blue Sideral
Prev
90 2.1SD M.RP 5049 EJV Mandarin
92 2.1SD A.RP 5698 EJV Mandarin
94 2.1SD A.RP 6218 ERT Triton Green
91 2.0SI M.RP 5187 EWT White

Peter.N.
Global Moderator

Post by Peter.N. » Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:35 pm

I've been there :D

Dean
Global Moderator

Post by Dean » Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:55 pm

:lol: i havent caused anyone else damage yet, but a few close calls :oops: , the gliders are great, because you can go anywhere with them, the i/c corsair i have hasnt been flown in ages because you have to have a big smooth runway for takeoff/landing and somewhere where the noise wont irritate people or where you dont risk killing anyones dog whilst landing the beast :oops: and there isnt many places like that about.

D

Addicted to Crackanory

Peter.N.
Global Moderator

Post by Peter.N. » Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:24 pm

Some years ago we visited a steam fair at Cromford, Derbyshire, there were a number of peoply flying model aircraft, the type with diesel engines, long before they made batteries light enough to fly :o The skill of the operators was amazing, flying them right into the sun until I couldn't see them, but they all managed to get them back OK, not a crash all afternoon. Never seen anything like it since.

Peter