Im going to break the rules!!!

Off topic chat about anything you like. Doesn't have to be about XMs (though they will inevitibly come up!). You can even discuss non-Citroens :o in here!
minijet
Has changed a sphere or two

Re: Im going to break the rules!!!

Post by minijet » Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:49 pm

Peter.N. wrote:Some years ago we visited a steam fair at Cromford, Derbyshire, there were a number of peoply flying model aircraft, the type with diesel engines, long before they made batteries light enough to fly :o The skill of the operators was amazing, flying them right into the sun until I couldn't see them, but they all managed to get them back OK, not a crash all afternoon. Never seen anything like it since.

Peter
There used to be a model aircraft show at Elvington airfield every year in the nineties. The star of the show was always the extremely noisy pulse/ram jet (similar type of engine to those used in the German V1's).
They used to climb so high that they were out of sight, before diving back down and flying along the runway at high speed (if I remember correctly it was claimed that they reached 200mph).
I think I'm right in saying that once the engine is fired up it can't be controlled, it just keeps going until the fuel runs out.
The controllers couldn't afford to take there eyes off them for a second......blink and you've lost it :?
Maximum respect to those who flew them.

Dean
Global Moderator

Post by Dean » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:46 pm

Hi all

Yes some models are amazing, like the Boeing 747 with a 22ft wingspan and 4 perfect mini (or not so in this case) jet engines, the guy had to build a special trailer to take it to shows, and 200mph for a model plane is nothing nowdays, the ones without engines will do near 400mph :shock: dont believe me? have a look at this, remember NO ENGINES just a slope soarer and clever use and massive knowledge of the air flow over a hill http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaQB16Za ... re=related this is what got me into slope soaring :D

D
92 Citroen XM Prestige 3.0i Auto R.P5678
14 Mitsubishi L200 Trojan
89 Talbot Express 2.0 coach built Auto-trail Chinook

Addicted to Crackanory

Peter.N.
Global Moderator

Post by Peter.N. » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:04 pm

Fantastic :o :shock:
'96 'N' 2.1 td VSX manual estate White RP6695. Sadly gone
2008 C5 2.0. Hdi Estate, Red
2008 C5 2.0. Hdi Estate Silver

Located in Charmouth, Dorset

Dean
Global Moderator

Post by Dean » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:09 pm

thats what i thought when i first saw it, you always think of a 'glider' being some slow old thing that falls to the floor 20ft in front of you but in model form at least they are actualy better than the powered ones, but then stuff like this is just fantastic too www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbITzCI2AU0

D

Addicted to Crackanory

minijet

Post by minijet » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:38 pm

Re. the 400mph glider.......

:? how? :?
How can it reach such speeds?
How can they keep track of it?
How do they stop the wings falling off?
Amazing :o

Re. the B52..........

That's not really a model, it's big enough to carry a pilot, it should be classed as an aircraft :) . Wonder if they have to inform the CAA......
Very impressive though. Does it actually have eight turbine engines? Sounds nice.

Dean
Global Moderator

Post by Dean » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:46 pm

Hi Paul re the glider

they use the turbulent air over the back and top of the slope along with witchcraft i believe
Drugs?
clever design with carbon fibre i believe

re the B52

i know you have to have an A and B class model aviation license (no really) to fly at shows and a giant scale license to fly one of the monsters, it is big isnt it. Some are just increadible and your right about the sound, i would have thought the sort of bloke that built it wouldnt skimp on the turbines tbh :D

D

Addicted to Crackanory

Ken Newbold
Knows how to use the parking brake

Post by Ken Newbold » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:24 pm

minijet wrote:.
Ken Newbold wrote:
Do you realise it's almost 10 years now since the demise of the late great SRN4s :cry:
That's right Ken, and this hovercraft 'enthusiast' never got round to going on one :(

I never went on Concorde either :( and now that's gone too :x

I never imagined we would take such big technological steps backwards :?

Shame on you :(

I clocked up lot's of miles on the SRN4s, you can still see them, but alas not working anymore, they're at the Hovercraft museum Lee on Solent.
Concorde, never actually flew on it, but have been on several on the ground :(
QE2, yes I've sailed on that a few times, once sat chatting with a fellow XMer on board :shock:

What do they all have in common? :(

Model aircraft, only once! I built (with help) a keil kraft kit of a rubber band powered aeroplane 36" wing span from memory, it only flew once and was seriously damaged on landing, so I vowed never again :lol:

Dean
Global Moderator

Post by Dean » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:33 pm

What do they all have in common? :(
Great machines lost forever :( although ive heard rumours the QE2 is coming home? ive been onboard concorde at that air museum on or near the A303? i was surprised how small it was both inside and out, but it is a beuitiful piece of engineering.......

D

Addicted to Crackanory

minijet

Post by minijet » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:50 pm

Shame on you :(

I clocked up lot's of miles on the SRN4s, you can still see them, but alas not working anymore, they're at the Hovercraft museum Lee on Solent.

hi Ken,

I was always going to take a trip across the channel by hovercraft. And take the Concorde trip to New York and return on the QE2...........one day :roll: .
I just waited too long..........and now it's too late :(

I've seen the SRN4's at the museum, one of them is open to the public on show days, so I have actually been on one........unfortunately it didn't go anywhere.
Sadly, it doesn't look like they'll ever move under their own power again. The current owner bought them for the engines, to use in his vintage Vosper power boat.

I never missed an opportunity to see Concorde if I was near Heathrow and on the few occasions it came to L&B airport.
Here's a reminder..............

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHe8R4tx_eU

turn up the volume for full effect :D

Paul.

Last edited by minijet on Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dean
Global Moderator

Post by Dean » Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:59 pm

um, the model B52 bomber does have eight turbines, but not anymore, tbh this vid reminds me of many of my early attempts :oops: , poor bloke :cry:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAWwe474YHk

D

Addicted to Crackanory