My XM hates me !

Off topic chat about anything you like. Doesn't have to be about XMs (though they will inevitibly come up!). You can even discuss non-Citroens :o in here!
colinxm
Has changed a sphere or two

My XM hates me !

Post by colinxm » Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:05 pm

At last, after a three week lay-up I've finished rebuilding both front brake calipers. After refitting and bleading I took my xm for a test drive, fantastic ! brakes work and don't leak lhm anymore :D As it was sunny and a little warm in the cabin I thought I'd exersise all the windows and the sunroof - fine no worries... until I wanted to close them all again - yes, you've guessed it, one of the rear window mechanisms has gone kapput and the window is now hiding somewhere inside the door frame, Oh Joy... :cry:

Colin.P
1995 Cit XM 2,1 TD Silver Estate - deceased :-(
2004 Opel Vectra Estate
2008 Kia Ceed td
1989 Pug 205 Cabriolet
1998 Ford Puma
1979 Triumph TR7

Dean
Global Moderator

Re: My XM hates me !

Post by Dean » Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:02 pm

Sorry to here that Colin , im not fairing much better, just put a new rack in mine and now while im under there have found the O/S inboard Cv and Extension bearing are starting to feel their age :roll: so dont worry my car loves me too :lol: .
Hope you can get it sorted soon.

D
92 Citroen XM Prestige 3.0i Auto R.P5678
14 Mitsubishi L200 Trojan
89 Talbot Express 2.0 coach built Auto-trail Chinook

Addicted to Crackanory

Ciaran
Site Admin
Orga / RP numbers: 1234

Post by Ciaran » Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:06 pm

:lol:

Colin, if its any consolation, my S2 did the exact same last week when I was discovering the head gasket is kaput.

As I was in the midst of indulging in the joy that is 2.1 thermostat removal, I stood up for a moment as my back was killing me, and noticed the rear window open a very slight amount (just a wee crack, not even below the seal). Stupidly, I touched the glass, and imagine my delight, if you will, as it just slowly and silently slid down into the door, completely unaided, it wasn't for coming back. Of course just at the precise moment it reached the fully open position, I felt the first droplets of rain on my neck, and saw it start to hit the car. The realisation was compounded as I, with my oil and antifreeze covered, bleeding fingers, slammed the key into the ignition in disgust, pressed the window up button, and heard the completely expected graunching sound of the motor trying to wind a snapped cable.

I must say I did get a few funny looks from the neighbours as I stood there yelling "What now?? What the hell is this?!! You better be f***ing kidding me!!!!", and threatening to put a match to it. :lol:
But sure, these things happen don't they. I secured mine in the short term by sticking a wooden baton under the glass and putting a screw into it through a hole in the middle metal arm of the mechanism, it'll do until the head is done.

I wouldn't give them up, but christ them XMs are annoying sometimes aren't they :roll:

Ciarán

Dean
Global Moderator

Post by Dean » Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:13 pm

I wonder why they changed the mechanism to the totaly pants one when the MK2 was introduced?? i thought the idea of change was too bring something more reliable.............or cheaper :evil: .

Plenty of sob story's about at the moment isnt there :lol:

D
92 Citroen XM Prestige 3.0i Auto R.P5678
14 Mitsubishi L200 Trojan
89 Talbot Express 2.0 coach built Auto-trail Chinook

Addicted to Crackanory

Ciaran
Site Admin
Orga / RP numbers: 1234

Post by Ciaran » Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:25 pm

I never did get that about the S2 windows, given that it was improved over the S1 in many ways, but that definitely isn't one of them.

Yes, plenty of us have had it bad this week haven't we, Colin's brakes, your rack debacle, my head, John's fuel issue, demag having to sell his :o, Mike's belt woes, the list goes on, Sympathy Party now seating in room 3? :lol:

Ciarán

Featch
Can find the S1 radio

Post by Featch » Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:39 pm

Absolutely everything worked on my XM for almost 2 days last summer. Then I made the mistake of bragging about it.
Andy

XM 2.0 Turbo Auto Exclusive. Silver '96. Awaiting a little TLC.
Xantia 1.8 LX 16v. Red '95. Hibernating in a Welsh barn.
ZX 1.9 TD Aura. Red '94. Daily flier. A pleasant surprise.
Fiat Punto 55S '96 (Oh Dear!)

http://www.featch.net

CitroJim
Citroen God!

Post by CitroJim » Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:49 pm

Featch wrote:Absolutely everything worked on my XM for almost 2 days last summer. Then I made the mistake of bragging about it.
I'm so sorry Andy but that did make me chuckle...
Jim

'98 Saxo
'95 AX
Three bikes - Road, Aero and TT

Ex- owner of several XMs and many Xantias!

Peter.N.
Global Moderator

Post by Peter.N. » Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:12 pm

Featch wrote:Absolutely everything worked on my XM for almost 2 days last summer. Then I made the mistake of bragging about it.

Prove it! :D
'96 'N' 2.1 td VSX manual estate White RP6695. Sadly gone
2008 C5 2.0. Hdi Estate, Red
2008 C5 2.0. Hdi Estate Silver

Located in Charmouth, Dorset

citroenmad
Citrobics expert

Post by citroenmad » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:10 pm

Had the same problem on the white one a few months ago.

The window had been stuck closed for a few months before, one day it had slipped half way down the opening. So i taped it back up as best i could until the fixing kit arrived. Stupidly i thought it would be a good idea to keep using the car, although it got very annying having to push the window back up every few miles :lol:

Took quite a bit of fiddling and quite a few fixing kits (our fault!) to get it working, but everything now works as it should.

On an upside of Xm ownership, i had a fantastic day on Sunday attending a CCC drive event in the newly aquired Xm manual, which went like an absolute dream, a big day for it, i doubt its ever done so many miles in a day in its life time. Still getting used to the four pedal business, can be a little bit of a pain on very steep hills or crawling traffic, but that didnt take the smile off my face while driving it :D
Chris.
64 C1 Feel 5 Door
S2 Xantia Exclusive 2.0HDi 110 Estate - Mauritius Blue
S1 Xantia 2.0TCT Activa - Silver
77 Ami 8 Saloon
04 Rover 75

CCC Xantia Files Columnist.

robert_e_smart
Global Moderator

Post by robert_e_smart » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:00 pm

I changed the cable on one of my rear windows at the weekend, much easier to do than the front one. But practice makes perfect.